The Lowest 10 Salaries of the P5 Schools | The Boneyard

The Lowest 10 Salaries of the P5 Schools

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Here is the list of the Power 5 Conferences who make the lowest. I don’t want to say “least” as the average of this group is $367,000 per year, plus various perks. There are three “senior” coaches of this group in Mark Trakh of USC (in his second stint), Kristy Currie of Alabama (always on the hot seat) and Robin Pingeton at Missouri. Robin’s salary has to have some clauses that the “published reports” omitted as she’s been at Mizzou 10 years and has done a very credible job (despite my objections to their “style” during the “Sophie years”). Most of the others are newer coaches who are trying to earn their “second contract” notable is Adia Barnes who should be in for a pay raise given her trend. I now want to give props to @southie for pointing out during the “Vic Stakes” how underpaid the PAC12 Coaches are and true to his statements they comprise 6 of the 10 on this list. Again, most of the 6 are still on their 1st contract with the school (not sure about Lynne Roberts). That said, I am surprised there is I have put the year the coach started and the expiration date for the contract.

I know some will complain about these salaries vs. the Men’s coaches which I think is completely insane. IF anything, I would argue these salaries should be compared to the other sports that are a “cost center” to the school. Given their staff is 3 full time assistants, a grad student, 2 or three basketball operations/video members for 12-15 players, that’s a good deal especially when compared to Swimming & Diving which the schools now combine into 1 team with 1 Head Coach and 2 assistants for 36-50 Swimmers. Anyway, have at it and let me know how else we can parse the data.

My initial inclination is to do it by conference.

1587512227467.png

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Dabo makes more per half than Butler makes per season :D But he deserves it.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
What’s average salary of a p5 coach
Good question, I guess you will have to keep on watching the board to find out...:rolleyes:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Yeah, 5 of those 6 Pac 12 coaches haven't had a whole lot of success thus far, but Barnes has Arizona rising quickly. They probably better plan on paying her more in the near future.

edit--Roberts is the longest tenured and lowest paid of the 6...ouch for her

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
This is why I wanted Adia as our coach. I'm sure that pay increase could pry her out of Tucson.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Maybe she is waiting on that call from Durham next spring. And I mean Durham NC.... and Im not talking about NCCU just in case anyone got confused. :mad:
I think Oklahoma will be looking for a new head coach in a year or two . . .

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I think Oklahoma will be looking for a new head coach in a year or two . . .

The State of North Carolina > The State of Oklahoma .. Durham > Norman .. Duke Blue > Crimson and Cream ... Eastern NC BBQ > Sonic

Reaction Score
The State of North Carolina > The State of Oklahoma .. Durham > Norman .. Duke Blue > Crimson and Cream ... Eastern NC BBQ > Sonic

Hey! Don't be bringing Sonic into this!
Route 44 half price! Winner!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Pac-12 are the low-cost leaders of the p5.

The 3 lowest-paid, and 6 of the 8 lowest-paid, all from the "conference of champions".

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Ok, the whole Robin Pingeton got to me and I redoubled my efforts and lo and behold, there is "other Univ compensation" for Robin of $275K for a total of $675K salary! I have update the chart to show the bottom 15 salaries (I am missing 4 teams-BC, WF, Miami and Northwestern) and the 2017 base/other comp and total.

The column "Status" represents new coach since 2016-17 season. For examples-#47 is Lindsay Whelan who earns $521K while in 2017 her predecessor Marlene Stollings (now of Texas Tech) earned $605K. #49 is Cam Newbauer who is earning $500K while his predecessor, Amanda Butler earned $401.7K in 2017 and now earns $375K at Clemson.

While it was noted Lynne Roberts at Utah is the lowest at $295K, I want to point out that Gordy Presnell, with 14 years at Boise State and 32 years overall (701-304) only makes $242K so don't feel too bad for Lynne.

1587592964051.png

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Note that it gets worse for the PAC-12 as 8 of their 12 coaches are in the bottom 15 of salary.
PAC-12 has 8
SEC has 3
ACC has 2 (plus 3 unknowns)
Big 12 has 1 and
Big Ten has 1.

Seems to me the PAC-12 is drastically underpaid even with the new coaches. The Big 12 and the Big Ten seem to be overpaid by comparison given their conferences lack of success. More to come. ;)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
That is Adia's salary after the raise. I said it before, Arizona is cheap and was cheap before it was fashionable.

That said, she will be very hard to pry out of here. With success will come better money, as well.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
That is Adia's salary after the raise. I said it before, Arizona is cheap and was cheap before it was fashionable.

That said, she will be very hard to pry out of here. With success will come better money, as well.

Would 800K do it?

Reaction Score

Better make that call and pledge some money. Someone is going to offer maybe triple that pretty soon.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Better make that call and pledge some money. Someone is going to offer maybe triple that pretty soon.

Im just thinking of jobs that will open up in 2021. Duke has to be at the top of the list.... good school.... cool little arena..... fans like me in the stands...;)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Hey! Don't be bringing Sonic into this!
Route 44 half price! Winner!

I aint trying to derail this thread, so I'll keep it short and sweet. I havent done the Route 44 half price thing in years..... that Cherry Limeade ... my goodness. Ha... i might have to head over there tomorrow. A co-worker and I were discussing how Sonic has the best ice cubes in the business.... love those little cubes. I have two problems with Sonic. 1) they dont offer cole slaw (for the hot dogs) 2) their burgers arent as good as they should be. Imma give them one more chance on the burgers though.... just one more chance.

Reaction Score
Note that it gets worse for the PAC-12 as 8 of their 12 coaches are in the bottom 15 of salary.
PAC-12 has 8
SEC has 3
ACC has 2 (plus 3 unknowns)
Big 12 has 1 and
Big Ten has 1.

Seems to me the PAC-12 is drastically underpaid even with the new coaches. The Big 12 and the Big Ten seem to be overpaid by comparison given their conferences lack of success. More to come. ;)

Corresponds pretty well the Quality of Life factor. I've traveled this whole country by plane and RV, and if I were to list my 15 favorite college towns, I figure about 8 would be in the Pac, 3 in the SEC, and so on. But to be honest, I'd have to stretch to find any in the two Bigs. The Pac just doesn't have to pay as much to attract talent.

Reaction Score
Quality of Life vs. Cost of Living. Takes double the money in most of the PAC towns.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashfan

Top Bottom