The little things need work | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The little things need work

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Just being able to spell Facey and Brimah with Enoch and Durham is massive for us now. If I were KO I'd pick my spots with Noyes in the back court to get those guys some rest. Jalen was dying out there tonight.

Reaction Score
His point is that in the face of adversity the individual players have improved and the team has improved.

They could have sulked and packed it in like a certain element of the fanbase, but instead they've fought and gotten better.

The coaching hasn't been perfect - I agree with the op and ace about the last 2 minutes. But overall since Maui, it's been pretty darn good.

You think our season has been pretty darn good since Maui?

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
FTs have been really good up until the last minute today, the 3 front end misses plus the Purvis miss on the front of the double bonus were anomalies in my book the way this team has been at the line. Small sample at the line today but prior to that last minute the team was shooting 6/8 (one miss each by Brimah and Vital). Not excusing the 3 front end misses imparticular but I think some here are missing how much the team has improved at the line since early in the season. The last 7 games FT % prior to today starting with @Gt 79%, 86%, 75%, 81%, 86%, 79%, 79% (65% today fwiw). Those percentages are night and day improvement from the early season and is really a hell of a turnaround.

Reaction Score
First 5 minutes were tough to watch. The final 5 minutes were tough to watch. In the intermediate 30 minutes UConn played well.

Lots of positives from the UCF game. Adams showed heart and played through physical adversity, Purvis carried the team in the 1st half and Vital made several game changing plays in the second half. I do think KO took his foot off the offensive gas too early and it took the Huskies out of an offensive flow. Also I'd like to see KO call more TOs when it's obvious momentum is changing and when players need a breather. But UConn won the game and, at some level, winning is the standard.

KO is still learning as a coach but it's hard to argue this team isn't improving. Yes there were mistakes tonight but perfection is a lifetime achievement and it is only learned through error.

I'm feeling more positive about this team than I have since game 1. "Room for improvement" isn't an insult.

Reaction Score
Our most important player was spent. Expectations are when your leader is in that situation you will fall apart and they did a little, no denying that. But multiple situations caused that. Some were just bad decisions by the players, others were how the game was being called at that point. Let's be honest, it's not the first time we've seen the refs run with the other team comeback maybe not on purpose but they also get caught up in the moment. There was more bumping, holding and reaching than I've ever seen but it happens. Our team allows the turmoil to occur by playing right into it, the stripes get caught too. And also the only thing I blame on KO and the staff is WE helped them come back by being happy with our lead. When is any coach going to realize sitting on the ball is not what go you the lead, let the guys play. Running the clock down that early once again put the kids in a bad spot and created bad shots and decisions.

But bottom line, our leader cramping and panting we won the game. Our guys made the plays necessary once again to win, away yet, a game they needed to have to hang around the 5th spot. Despite the FT shooting, the bad shots and passes, bad decisions they pulled it out shows some gumption. Oh and anyone blaming KO for Brimah's in bounds c'mon, he's supposed to walk away not grab the ball it's not for him to take in bounds ever.Right after he watched Taylor walk by him for a lay up he added this ridiculous play. I am sure he will never touch the ball to inbound it again!

Good win

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Free throws, limiting turnovers, and perimeter defense. A lot of teams we play don't play with a true four or five. They stay out on the perimeter and shoot threes. Our bigs sag too much and stay around the free throw line leaving their guy open. Brimah and facey are slow at getting to their guy.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
The coaching has led to Amida grabbing 12 rebounds today against a big UCF team.

The coaching has led to Purvis shooting roughly 50% on free throws a few years ago to close to 80% this year.

The coaching has led to UConn having the 7th highest points per possession out of timeouts (facts matter).

The coaching has led to Kentan being a double double threat on any given night.

The coaching has led to Jalens progression as a point guard from having 9 turnovers in a half at the beginning of the season to being one of the leaders nationwide in assists.

The coaching has leading to UConn starting 5-9 while losing 2 of their best players to then going 7-3 while having as few as 6 scholarship guys.

I could go on, but at this point I hope you get the point.

Yep, I know where my National Flag blue tinted glasses ended up.
Actually, I agree with most of what you said. But reading through the itemized list almost made me forget the problems we have.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I'm not the biggest Ollie defender, but they had 2.5 ballhandlers going against a press for 15 minutes. Some of the mistakes were coaching (Brimah inbounding the ball?), but some could have been tired mistakes too.
maybe AB was inbounding the ball because they didn't want him on the foul line

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
What is your point? We will be lucky to get into the NIT.
Why don't you, Free Scooter, UC 2009 and Bryon Lord all apply for the position or get on the staff?
KO can use someone who can read tea leaves and coach on unforeseen events

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
These guys have always been basketball IQ challenged. I don't know if Ollie can do anything about it.
Purcells used to cut these type of guys when they played for the Giants.

Reaction Score
maybe AB was inbounding the ball because they didn't want him on the foul line

He was inbounding the ball because he wasn't smart enough to leave it there. Reaction after allowing Taylor to breeze by him. Not a good sequence but we held on. This team has players who have these types of moments, AB's not the only one but I know there's no way on earth KO wanted him touching that ball never mind taking it OOB's.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I disagree
How do you disagree with that someone thinks something? Truly, I thought it.
Whether UConn makes the NIT or not is a separate matter, and I still think you don't know what "lucky" means.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
First off Ollie is notorious for not stepping on the opponent's throat. We just don't put teams away. We often have 10+ point leads, and we usually squander them.

I thought the game was well-coached outside of the last 2-3 minutes. The Brimah imbounding situation should have never happened. Ever.

Also someone explain to me how a coach can improve FT%. My opinion is that's entirely on the player to get into the gym and practice.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
How do you disagree with that someone thinks something? Truly, I thought it.
Whether UConn makes the NIT or not is a separate matter, and I still think you don't know what "lucky" means.
You do realize you are talking to yourself. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. At least it's an intelligent conversation.

Reaction Score
Why don't you, Free Scooter, UC 2009 and Bryon Lord all apply for the position or get on the staff?
KO can use someone who can read tea leaves and coach on unforeseen events

Unforeseen events? Are you going to pretend like we don't have 3 healthy seniors and a core of younger 4-star athletes? Let's forget games #1 and #2 because that was 100% on Ollie and if you say differently you're insane. Since the injuries, with this roster, we have not lived up to expectations. My expectations are obviously higher than yours.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Unforeseen events? Are you going to pretend like we don't have 3 healthy seniors and a core of younger 4-star athletes? Let's forget games #1 and #2 because that was 100% on Ollie and if you say differently you're insane. Since the injuries, with this roster, we have not lived up to expectations. My expectations are obviously higher than yours.
Now there's the problem. Games aren't played inside our heads.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
CV is not a 4 star and was supposed to a 10 min a game guy who is playing 30. 4 star Diarra hasn't played a minute. Durham hasn't played in a year and is just getting into game form. Jackson was a high recruit but a bit of an afterthought at the 3/4 until Larrier goes down. You're the type of curmudgeon fan who loves to say "the team sucks" then you act shocked when they suck. Why bother?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom