The Liberty Bowl | The Boneyard

The Liberty Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Two things....

1) Losing it underscores how little Memphis brings to the conference - not that they're alone in that regard.

2) Aresco's performance as commissioner looks like a daily reenactment of Little Big Horn with Aresco playing Custer. I know he has a hard-to-near impossible job with this conference in this climate, but good god, he's lost every battle he's fought.

He's lost four bowl games, including the one he wanted to send the league champ to - I look forward to hearing more details about the fantasy bowl game he wants to start in Miami.

Reaction Score
I hate to be a spoil sport, but Tulane even lost that game...to the Havana Athletic club...

Reaction Score
Two things....

1) Losing it underscores how little Memphis brings to the conference - not that they're alone in that regard.

2) Aresco's performance as commissioner looks like a daily reenactment of Little Big Horn with Aresco playing Custer. I know he has a hard-to-near impossible job with this conference in this climate, but good god, he's lost every battle he's fought.

He's lost four bowl games, including the one he wanted to send the league champ to - I look forward to hearing more details about the fantasy bowl game he wants to start in Miami.
Have to say I agree. And a really strange thing is that Aresco is the commissioner we needed when they hired Maranatto, but he is absolutely the wrong guy for the current situation. His forte is making tv deals but he was in a position where he had to make a deal without even knowing who his conference was. The guy we need is a more entrepreneurial type, not a corporate suit. the PAC 12 guy, who came to it having to sell a struggling sports franchise is the model. So much for this league having a better bowl lineup than the MAC.

Reaction Score
I hate to be a spoil sport, but Tulane even lost that game...to the Havana Athletic club...
Not as badly as Old Miss the following year.
Sounds like the Cuban team was old Ivy League guys from the Polo Club. Havanna was quite the place pre-Castro.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Aresco? Pffft.

At this point the President himself couldn't stop this P5 freight train from running over everyone in its path. They along with Disney/ESPN are basically taking whatever they want from the rest of CFB now.

It's sickening, watching how all of this is going down...

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Not as badly as Old Miss the following year.
Sounds like the Cuban team was old Ivy League guys from the Polo Club. Havanna was quite the place pre-Castro.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
I had an uncle who went to his business association annual convention there in the 1950s. Never missed it. After Castro came to power they moved it to Vegas. He always complained that Vegas was boring compared to Havanna in the 50s. he always said when he arrived back in Boston he got off the train at South Station and went directly to confession before he went home.

Reaction Score
Custer? Aresco is reprising role as the "Black Knight" of "Monty Python" fame - another "mere flesh wound". He is dreadful. Would someone name one proactive, creative thing he has done? He is given to simply reacting to forces around him over which he has little control and zero advance intelligence on. Add to this - leaving the AAC's HQ's in Providence is such a pitiful joke that it can't be happening. That would really set me off except I care so little about the fortunes of the AAC that I don't want to waste the emotion.

Reaction Score
Remember the beginning of Forrest Gump when he is getting on the bus and everyone is sliding over and telling him the seats are taken.

Reaction Score
Leave the Liberty Bowl for the hillbillies. They are still upset.

Reaction Score
Custer? Aresco is reprising role as the "Black Knight" of "Monty Python" fame - another "mere flesh wound". He is dreadful. Would someone name one proactive, creative thing he has done? He is given to simply reacting to forces around him over which he has little control and zero advance intelligence on. Add to this - leaving the AAC's HQ's in Providence is such a pitiful joke that it can't be happening. That would really set me off except I care so little about the fortunes of the AAC that I don't want to waste the emotion.
I like the American website. Obviously the content is still being added, but the direction they're taking is pretty cool.
I think, just like the BE after the original raid, people need to give this league a chance to see what happens and who steps up.

How can anyone disagree with Aresco's comment about winning?

Reaction Score
I like the American website. Obviously the content is still being added, but the direction they're taking is pretty cool.
I think, just like the BE after the original raid, people need to give this league a chance to see what happens and who steps up.

How can anyone disagree with Aresco's comment about winning?

No one can disagree about winning - but let's be real. What has Aresco done proactively or creatively since he became commissioner? He didn't seem to have even the barest advance intelligence about what's was going on? He was blind sided by ND and Rutgers leaving. He didn't anticipate the Catholic 7 departure. He has simply reacted to events around him. He then has tried to convince us that you can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. And it doesn't sell.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Someone posted earlier on this board that Aresco should have been the commish when Marinotto was. I think his TV acumen could have gotten that BE a deal from ESPN good enough to not have it voted down. Had that happened, ESPN wouldn't have helped the ACC raid the BE and devalue a high priced property and consequently the BE would still be strong. In all honesty, had that happened you likely would have seen a Big East/ACC scheduling alliance which would have benefited both conferences. Maybe Rutgers and Maryland still leave their respective conferences but those wouldn't be huge losses anyways.

Instead, we had the spineless Marinotto preside over the shamblizing of the BE and Aresco, with no experience as a commish in the role of conference-builder; a role for which he is woefully unskilled for. I mean, all you need to know about the AAC is that it still has its conference offices in freaking Providence and its commish is extolling the virtues of that fact. It shows how completely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom