The Latest Bracketology (Jan 13, 2020) | The Boneyard

The Latest Bracketology (Jan 13, 2020)

Reaction Score
Charlie Creme has been working overtime to make adjustments to the bracketology given this week's round of games... upsets or not, lots of changes. UCONN back to a 1 seed, albeit in the Portland Region. This is going to be a constantly changing scenario as the season progresses. Lots of teams can win it all... as Geno says... "it takes LUCK"...

Link here: Bracketology with Charlie Creme

Reaction Score
I happen to have the PAC-12 network so have been catching a few games. I'm surprised how average Oregon has looked and in my opinion none look outstanding. Good yes. Their big advantage is good competition more often.Baylor looked great against UConn for 4 minutes. I have not seen a whole SC game but probably so far they are where they should be. I know I am biased but I see no one distinctly better than UConn to the point they can't be beaten. We shall see.

Reaction Score
I happen to have the PAC-12 network so have been catching a few games. I'm surprised how average Oregon has looked and in my opinion none look outstanding. Good yes. Their big advantage is good competition more often.Baylor looked great against UConn for 4 minutes. I have not seen a whole SC game but probably so far they are where they should be. I know I am biased but I see no one distinctly better than UConn to the point they can't be beaten. We shall see.

I don't see a heavy favorite in this tournament myself.

I'd agree with Mulkey that there are a number of teams with a shot and no clear frontrunner.

Reaction Score
The exposure to the finals last year gives Baylor and Oregon a big advantage in my opinion. Similarly, experienced guard play in the final four. That is why I believe the stars will have to be in alignment for us to win this year. Just a lack of big time game experience.

Reaction Score

So you’ve seen Oregon on the PAC 12 Network and they’ve looked average? Their first game on that network they beat the USA team. There have been five other games they played on the Network in which they’ve gone 4-1. The first game they played a sweet 16 team from last year and won by 39. The next game they played a previously unbeaten team (with a weak non conference schedule) and beat them by 58. Then they won their next game on the network by 38. Were those average? This weekend they played two very good teams on the road and came out 1-1, losing to Arizona State. Nobody likes to play Arizona State in Tempe! Will your team go to play Arizona State in Tempe. I don’t know how long you’ve watched PAC-12 women’s basketball, but certain road swings in the conference are hell. And the Arizona swing is hell... as is the Bay Area swing and the Oregon Swing. Even the mountain swing is hell because of the travel involved and the elevation. The conference will beat up on itself but in the end all of the teams that make the tournament will be teams that other teams don’t want to see in their bracket. We will see you in March.

Reaction Score
I wonder what seed UConn will be if they lose to both Oregon and South Carolina and win all of their other games.............

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
So you’ve seen Oregon on the PAC 12 Network and they’ve looked average? Their first game on that network they beat the USA team. There have been five other games they played on the Network in which they’ve gone 4-1. The first game they played a sweet 16 team from last year and won by 39. The next game they played a previously unbeaten team (with a weak non conference schedule) and beat them by 58. Then they won their next game on the network by 38. Were those average? This weekend they played two very good teams on the road and came out 1-1, losing to Arizona State. Nobody likes to play Arizona State in Tempe! Will your team go to play Arizona State in Tempe. I don’t know how long you’ve watched PAC-12 women’s basketball, but certain road swings in the conference are hell. And the Arizona swing is hell... as is the Bay Area swing and the Oregon Swing. Even the mountain swing is hell because of the travel involved and the elevation. The conference will beat up on itself but in the end all of the teams that make the tournament will be teams that other teams don’t want to see in their bracket. We will see you in March.
It was just an opinion

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Even the mountain swing is hell because of the travel involved and the elevation.
I'll give you elevation. But
UCONN - UCF
UCONN - USF
UCONN - Tulsa
UCONN - SMU
UCONN - Tulane

are as far or further for travel.

Reaction Score
I wish you were correct and Oregon is "average." When Oregon is playing well, their talent level and personnel can be overwhelming. As you pointed out, other teams can beat them (and two already have). A lot more will be known about Oregon's overall strength during the next two weeks as they play a total of three games against Top 10 teams.

Here's to hoping that your analysis is spot on and Oregon is only "average" going forward.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
This Weeks Bracketology: Bracketology with Charlie Creme

UConn in Portland, with Stanford in Fort Wayne, Oregon St in Greenville and UCLA in Dallas.

I don't think three PAC 12 teams will end up as Two Seeds.

Reaction Score
As I mentioned when I started this thread last week... LOTS of changes will happen over the next couple months. This is a year of "parity"... at least across most of the WBB landscape...so every game will have consequences to the rankings and bracketology. One of the more interesting things to me is that Louisville is apparently #3 in bracketology...while they are #5 in both AP Poll and Massey and behind both UCONN and Oregon. Just one of those riddles without an answer... :D :confused:

Reaction Score
Yes, as a Colorado alum, I watch a lot of PAC-12 games as well and if the Oregon team that absolutely demolished Stanford is average, your definition of average must mean something completely different from the word in my dictionary. Having said that, in this age of parity no team is completely safe.

Reaction Score
As a Louisville fan, I just don't see us as a #1 seed. Talk to me after February 13, when we've finished a three-game stretch of Florida State, @Syracuse and @North Carolina State, and maybe I'll change my mind.

I've watched lots of women's basketball over the past 12 years and have formed an opinion of what a team that can contend for the national championship looks like. Right now this team does not pass that test.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I wonder what seed UConn will be if they lose to both Oregon and South Carolina and win all of their other games.............
most likely a 3 seed, or at best a low 2.

Reaction Score
If UCONN is a #2 by tourney time, they might have to go to Portland based on past history. If three Pac 12 teams are also #2 seeds, the committee will try to keep them out of Oregon's region to avoid having the top two seeds from the same conference.

Reaction Score
I have created 2019-20 Creme Bracketology google spreadsheet for those wanting to track the changes over the season.

Even though I use the web.archive.org to view earlier releases, unfortunately not all have been captured.

Of the 6 versions I have captured 7 out of the 8 teams named as 1 or 2 seed have been consistent. The last team has been split between UCLA (3), Florida St. (2) and Maryland (1).

If you compare his 1 and 2 seeds in his Bracketology at this time last year (i.e. 21-Jan-2019 per 2018-19 Creme Bracketology) and the actual final Bracket that season he had 7 out of the 8 teams correct albeit the Regions were fairly different.

Seeding Changes
Mississippi St from #2 up to #1
Iowa from #4 up to #2
UConn from #1 down to #2
NC State from #2 down to #3

1579590646746.png

Why is this important? As posted in a thread last year only twice has a team not seeded either 1 or 2 won the Women's Basketball NCAA Tournament (North Carolina in 1994 and Tennessee in 1997 both as a 3 seed).

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom