OT: - The Last Jedi | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: The Last Jedi

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Why is everyone bringing up star trek?

It's not everyone, just a couple of us. That is the theme of this thread, no? I would imagine Ouremblem started it because the next installment of STAR WARS debuts tomorrow evening, and he wondered if anyone else here had intentions of seeing the movie besides him. Some of us have interests outside of WCBB. There are millions of sci fi fans young and old around the world, some of whom visit the yard. :cool:

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Here's the one I remember best:

MV5BOTdmODZkNmQtYjU4Mi00MTcyLTg5YmEtNmVjMWU1M2Y5NzgyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDYyMDk5MTU@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

How do you get full size posters pasted?

Reaction Score
It's not everyone, just a couple of us. That is the theme of this thread, no? I would imagine Ouremblem started it because the next installment of STAR WARS debuts tomorrow evening, and he wondered if anyone else here had intentions of seeing the movie besides him. Some of us have interests outside of WCBB. There are millions of sci fi fans young and old around the world, some of whom visit the yard. :cool:

The last Jedi is not a Star trek movie.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
The last Jedi is not a Star trek movie.

It's just that the thread started as a question about the new Star Wars movie, and quickly (d)evolved into a discussion of Science Fiction in general. See Mr. Smartypants image.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Should we have a poll to see who will be the last Jedi?

Spock
Kirk
Scottie
Sulu
Ohura

No, who will be the next Captain of the Enterprise:
a. Luke
b. Hans
c. Lando

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
...But not forgotten! :rolleyes: Star Wars & Star Trek, same genre. If you like one, you like the other. I love both and I've seen all the movie versions of both.

Not in my case. I'm a Star Trek fan. I liked the first Star Wars* okay. From the next two the only redeeming quality from my point of view was that Carrie Fisher was very scantily clad for a prolonged period.

*Now it's renamed, what, the fourth? If I ever needed another reason not to like the franchise, revisionism is a good one.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
...But not forgotten! :rolleyes: Star Wars & Star Trek, same genre. If you like one, you like the other. I love both and I've seen all the movie versions of both.
Mmm, not so much...
vs.jpg

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Not in my case. I'm a Star Trek fan. I liked the first Star Wars* okay. From the next two the only redeeming quality from my point of view was that Carrie Fisher was very scantily clad for a prolonged period.

*Now it's renamed, what, the fourth? If I ever needed another reason not to like the franchise, revisionism is a good one.

In defense of George Lucas: The original film was not titled "Episode IV- A New Hope", That came later when the film was re-released. However, he did have an episodic series in mind when he first started writing the storylines. He made the original movie first because he thought it had the most compelling story and the best chance of success. I think he was right about that.

Reaction Score
I think the best one of the first six was "The Empire Strikes Back." I too think "Rogue One" has a better story than any of the "main line" movies.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Sorry, I just cannot hop on the Star Wars bandwagon. Just too tired of that worn-out music and the general merchandising blitz that has taken a movie and made it a commercial.

Reaction Score
I have to ask. How many boneyarders are going Friday night for the Last Jedi? The word of mouth from the premiere is very good. I must confess to having my ticket.

I'm in grad-school, if not I'd be all in for the Thursday night showing. I am definitely seeing it this weekend.
I had no idea there were Star Wars fan in here. What did you guys think of Rogue One?
--------------------
Alumnus - Alumni, Alumna - Alumnae
I took a few years of latin as well. I won't speak on 56 years. I hope to get there. I hope I never have cataract surgery/issues.
Is there anything else that I should be looking forward to?

Reaction Score

Love the Buckeroo Banzai avatar and reference, Bigboote! Or should I say John Bigboote?

I’m a fan of both Star Wars and Star Trek...and am going with my girls Friday night. They’re 14 and 11 and both big fans.

I’m not a slave to canon and love the Abrams reboot of Star Trek. Enjoyed The Force Awakens but much of the plot felt awfully familiar. I mean, how many “death stars” is the “empire” going to build before they get it right?

That said, I’ll enjoy it and kerp feeding Disney my money to see more.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
I'm in grad-school, if not I'd be all in for the Thursday night showing. I am definitely seeing it this weekend.
I had no idea there were Star Wars fan in here. What did you guys think of Rogue One?
--------------------
Alumnus - Alumni, Alumna - Alumnae
I took a few years of latin as well. I won't speak on 56 years. I hope to get there. I hope I never have cataract surgery/issues.
Is there anything else that I should be looking forward to?

Trust me, you don't want to know.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'm a Trekie all the way back to the first Star Wars episode in 1977. I'll be there. There are some movies you just can't watch on TV. Star Wars and Star Trek movies MUST be seen on the BIG screen in 3D, with multiplex Dolby surround sound with others of our ilk!!!
It all began with this one.....A long time ago..... in a galaxy far far away. :)

81ae8A9aEYL._SL1500_.jpg
Let me backpedal on my previous statement. You're right. There is NOTHING better than seeing either of these to movies in 3 story IMAX 3D. While the home experience in 4K destroys it for detail and color, the movie experience annihilates the home experience for presentation. As an audiophile I have a terrific sound system. What it lacks in image size makes up for it in intimacy. My TV is also 3D, and it's black levels are better than that I see on movie screens. But the sheer excitement, the scope, and the mind numbing hugeness of IMAX just transcends and overwhelms the home experience. I'm gonna wait until the crowds slow up a bit and then go sit in a prime seat in a basically empty theater.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Let me backpedal on my previous statement. You're right. There is NOTHING better than seeing either of these to movies in 3 story IMAX 3D. While the home experience in 4K destroys it for detail and color, the movie experience annihilates the home experience for presentation. As an audiophile I have a terrific sound system. What it lacks in image size makes up for it in intimacy. My TV is also 3D, and it's black levels are better than that I see on movie screens. But the sheer excitement, the scope, and the mind numbing hugeness of IMAX just transcends and overwhelms the home experience. I'm gonna wait until the crowds slow up a bit and then go sit in a prime seat in a basically empty theater.

OK Jordy, gotta know. Your display, your amp your speakers?

JordyG

Reaction Score
My older brother got me hooked on sci-fi back in the 50's. He's a big sci-fi fan too, and I followed in his footsteps. You know how younger kids look up to, and follow their older siblings. I saw this one at the theater with my bro during it's first run in 1955. :cool:

p2518_p_v8_aa.jpg
Scoop I'm such a big Scifi/Fantasy fan. It is my chosen genre for reading, which now about a book a week depending. Most fantasy writers make it a point not to cheat their readers. Guys like Brandon Sanderson and Patrick Rothfuss and Scifi writers like David Weber average about 800 pages for each book. Sanderson's latest entry in his series comes in at over 1300 pages. In the ebook version. The hardback would be slightly beefier.

JordyG

Reaction Score
OK Jordy, gotta know. Your display, your amp your speakers?
LG OLED 65" B6.
Amp: Marantz SR5012.
Front speakers: Verity Audio Leonore's.
Rear: B&W 686.
UHD players: Samsung 8500, Sony X800 and Xbox OneX. Also a PS 4.
Two Spectrum cable boxes.
One cable card attached to my home theater computer which records things to hard drive. Such as all Husky games. And Game Of Thrones, Westworld, etc. The computer has a good 60TB's of storage.

For music the Leonore's are reattached to my hifi system which is completely separate from my home theater system.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
LG OLED 65" B6.
Amp: Marantz SR5012.
Front speakers: Verity Audio Leonore's.
Rear: B&W 686.
UHD players: Samsung 8500, Sony X800 and Xbox OneX. Also a PS 4.
Two Spectrum cable boxes.
One cable card attached to my home theater computer which records things to hard drive. Such as all Husky games. And Game Of Thrones, Westworld, etc. The computer has a good 60TB's of storage.

For music the Leonore's are reattached to my hifi system which is completely separate from my home theater system.

One word: WOW!!!

Reaction Score
I too am a Star Trek fan first but watched Star Wars many times in the theatres starting in 1977. Fantastic entertainment. However as with the Star Trek reboot I find these new incarnations very lacking in original thought. Technically marvelous of course but I'd really like to see an original idea nowadays. I felt even though The Force Awakens" had very good reviews that it was a re-hash in many ways of "A New Hope". I actually liked "Rogue One" better. And I was not as down on George's prequels as so many others were. I felt Hayden Christensen being cast was a weak link but the stories were good. The problem with those was everybody knew what was going to happen. Not so with the first 3. I'm hoping for good things from "The Last Jedi" but not expecting much.

My enjoyment of Space Sci Fi goes back to watching Flash Gordon when the serials were aired on TV in the early 60's but my real fascination with the genre came when I discovered Robert Heinlein, Frank Herbert, Isaac Asimov & Gene Roddenberry's novels and stories.

I agree that the Star Wars epic is in a rut. How many times will they rebuild & destroy the Death Star? With Disney taking over the franchise I'm afraid that the stories have ceased to be created the imaginative minds of writers and turned over to marketers who rely on the results of focus group studies.
But I'll go see it, probably in 3D.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom