The Last Bridgeport Regional? | The Boneyard

The Last Bridgeport Regional?

Reaction Score
Was this the last Bridgeport regional>

Well, it is this was the last year that Azi could play in a regional. We'll see after 2025.

The NCAA is switching to a 2-site (rather than 4) format next year. East and West Regionals only. (No, thats not Greensboro NC. It's SC's backyard for Boston's senior season in 2023) For the next three years will be:

2023 PRELIMINARY ROUND SITES
RoundCityVenueDatesHost
RegionalGreenville, S.C.Bon Secours Wellness ArenaMarch 24 - 27Southern Conference and Furman
RegionalSeattleClimate Pledge ArenaMarch 24 - 27Seattle and Seattle Sports Commission

2024 PRELIMINARY ROUND SITES
RoundCityVenueDatesHost
RegionalAlbany, N.Y.Times Union CenterMarch 29 - April 1MAAC
RegionalPortland, Ore.Moda CenterMarch 29 - April 1Oregon State

2025 PRELIMINARY ROUND SITES
RoundCityVenueDatesHost
RegionalBirmingham, Ala.Legacy ArenaMarch 28 - 31SEC
RegionalSpokane, Wash.Spokane Veterans Memorial ArenaMarch 28 - 31Idaho and Spokane Veterans Mem

Reaction Score
Why only the Pacific Northwest? To be consistent, it should then be the Northeast. Or the Southeast on the coast. This is just idiotic and probably driven by money. The whole concept of the Final Four involves teams coming from 4 separate regions. Let's see if their fake regional finals will draw 2 million viewers like Bridgeport.

Reaction Score
With the exception of Spokane, all these arenas seat more than 15,000 (Spokane approx. 12,600). Bridgeport only seats about 10,000. Don't know if the NCAA will want to go with such a comparitively small arena, though Bridgeport fills the arena, while the others tend not to.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I prefer the Times Union Center in Albany to the Bridgeport venue. It's only a couple of hours. I don't understand the logic of two regions instead of four. But, UConn will play wherever they need to play.
Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
Why only the Pacific Northwest? To be consistent, it should then be the Northeast. Or the Southeast on the coast. This is just idiotic and probably driven by money. The whole concept of the Final Four involves teams coming from 4 separate regions. Let's see if their fake regional finals will draw 2 million viewers like Bridgeport.
I don't think the site affects TV viewers. UConn vs a 1/2 seed is gonna get the eyeballs wherever they play.

Reaction Score
I don't think the site affects TV viewers. UConn vs a 1/2 seed is gonna get the eyeballs wherever they play.
You are correct! Eyeballs are not regionally fixed. Streaming and a bit less TV can go anywhere. Uconn fans, as long as they are winning, shall go anywhere to follow their team. That is true of Stanford, La Tech, (in years gone by), Notre Dame (how many will follow them without an NC?) Winning brings loads of followers.
So does it really matter, with a good economy, where your team goes? Long time husky fans is the base that keep the Huskys loved.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Questions: If there are only 2 regional sites for next year...and beyond...what impact does that have on the first weekend...if any?

Will there be still be top 4 seeds in 4 regions getting homecourt for the first weekend?
At that point those 16 teams...coming from the 4 regions...go to 2 sites....8 to a site...
presumably... as it is now... the NCAA will publish pre-tournament which 2 regions go to Seattle and which 2 go to
Greenville? 8 teams in both places...sweet 16 games/final 8 games...with 2 teams from both sites going to the final 4?

Maybe I have talked myself into understanding this...maybe!

The only difference between this year and next year...is simply a matter of geography only...2 regional sites instead of 4.
But there are still essentially 4 regions with top 4 seeds etc.

Reaction Score
This is idiotic so, yeah, par for the course for the NCAA. People complained about home court advantage so they REDUCE the number of sites to reduce their ability to avoid said problem. Brilliant. We need to pull off a miracle run this year because there is no way we stop South Carolina next year.

Reaction Score
Not true at all.
I hope I am wrong. But who do they lose? Who do we lose? Do we expect Piath or Amari to make a big enough jump to fill the void left by ONO? Will Aubrey fill the void left by Christyn? Will either of the freshman be that big of an impact to fill those voids? That's a lot to ask of a freshman. And then you ask them to beat SC in their back yard on top if it. Someone needs to tell Boston to jump to the WNBA or they will definitely be the pre-season #1 again next year and by a wide margin.

Reaction Score
This is idiotic so, yeah, par for the course for the NCAA. People complained about home court advantage so they REDUCE the number of sites to reduce their ability to avoid said problem. Brilliant. We need to pull off a miracle run this year because there is no way we stop South Carolina next year.
Respectfully disagree. : )

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I hope I am wrong. But who do they lose? Who do we lose? Do we expect Piath or Amari to make a big enough jump to fill the void left by ONO? Will Aubrey fill the void left by Christyn? Will either of the freshman be that big of an impact to fill those voids? That's a lot to ask of a freshman. And then you ask them to beat SC in their back yard on top if it. Someone needs to tell Boston to jump to the WNBA or they will definitely be the pre-season #1 again next year and by a wide margin.
I don’t feel bad at all for UConn going into next season. Paige, Azzi, and Caroline… that’s for sure the best 1-2-3 combination on the offensive side of the ball in the country early next season.

You’ll be fine.

Reaction Score
See ya, in ....a while......

Attachments

• 20220326_163348.jpg
    20220326_163348.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 132
Reaction Score
We have two senior starters. Saxton and Henderson. Henderson will probably forgo her fifth year option, Saxton is a bit iffier but probably will if we can win it this year.

But we will still be loaded except we will be replacing our PG with an untested but highly regarded redshirt freshman. Could be a big difference.

Reaction Score
We have two senior starters. Saxton and Henderson. Henderson will probably forgo her fifth year option, Saxton is a bit iffier but probably will if we can win it this year.

But we will still be loaded except we will be replacing our PG with an untested but highly regarded redshirt freshman. Could be a big difference.

Didn't Saxon use that year this year? She was a senior last year correct?

Reaction Score
11,500 fans attended the Portland regionals in 2019. This year Spokane had attendance of 7,700 with the closest school being 900 miles away. Greensboro only had 6,500 with the closest school being 180 miles away.

Locations bid thinking they can get enough income from the event to justify it. Every so often the NCAA tries an experiment for 4 years to see if it increases attendance and/or fairness. 2005 they went to 8 sub-regional sites, like the men do. There was a period where schools could host regionals on their campuses. When these locations were bid on, Oregon and Oregon State were pretty strong and Washington had recently gone to a final four. UCLA should be able to make some noise the next four years with Kiki Rice. Hopefully Oregon and Oregon State will get better the next few years.

The NCAA hopes that having 6 regional games in one location will increase interest and possibly build new fans in the host area. I'm skeptical, but hopeful.

2026 the regionals will be in Sacramento (120 miles from Stanford- basically the same distance as UConn is from Albany) and Dallas.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom