The Last Bridgeport Regional? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Last Bridgeport Regional?

Reaction Score
I hope so. I am afraid however that the combined super regional will lose some of its TV appeal. I am sure however that the live attendance will suffer.

If you just take the live attendance difference in the Louisville- Michigan region versus the UCONN- NC State region it's 5,000 tickets. Probably a $250,000 to $500,000 revenue difference at a price point of $50 -$100 plus everything else the NCAA gets from what they sell. I think this is a cost cutting measure with a belief that by crunching the sites there will be greater attendance. I think it's the opposite. Now, if the venue was Vegas and you can turn it into a festival for all girl's and women's players and it became a resort draw then maybe it will work.
I tend to agree that this is a bad move but on the other hand, I have to believe they did some serious research before making this decision. We’ll just have to wait and see, I guess.

Reaction Score
I think UConn fans will enjoy Greenville next year. The downtown is small but tightly compressed with every major hotel. All clean and newish. Restaurants and bars galore. Park your car and walk to the games and after gatherings. Great March weather (but for thunderstorms)

https://s3.amazonaws.com/newsimg.fu...153332/aerial-downtown-greenville-cropped.jpg

aerial-downtown-greenville-cropped.jpg

I live about 30 minutes away in Travelers rest, very excited for next year. Agree downtown Greenville is great, hope lots of fellow UConn fans come down (of course assuming UConn will be there!)

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
I live about 30 minutes away in Travelers rest, very excited for next year. Agree downtown Greenville is great, hope lots of fellow UConn fans come down (of course assuming UConn will be there!)
Simpsonville here. Greenville has exploded...but so has Simpsonville. My sister moved here 4 years ago after our father passed away, and bought a home in my neighborhood. When we're stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic on Fairview Road, in front of all the restaurants and shopping centers that have popped up in the last 28 years, I always just shake my head and say "When I first moved to Simpsonville, none of this was here!"

Reaction Score
I don’t feel bad at all for UConn going into next season. Paige, Azzi, and Caroline… that’s for sure the best 1-2-3 combination on the offensive side of the ball in the country early next season.

You’ll be fine.
And Dorka, Aliyah and Nika. I’ll take that in a heartbeat and wait to see what freshman and/or current bench player steps up.

Reaction Score
Simpsonville here. Greenville has exploded...but so has Simpsonville. My sister moved here 4 years ago after our father passed away, and bought a home in my neighborhood. When we're stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic on Fairview Road, in front of all the restaurants and shopping centers that have popped up in the last 28 years, I always just shake my head and say "When I first moved to Simpsonville, none of this was here!"

I've been here 12 years. The growth in this area is crazy. Has been impossible for us to find any land & build and now they are killing downtown (TR) putting up apartments right in town and we are way too small for that there.
Maybe we will meet next year at the Tourney :)

Reaction Score
1-- We gain a full season of Paige. A definite 1st team A/A arguably POY better than Boston?
2-- We gain a full season of Azzi A possible 1st team A/A being possibly the 3rd best player on the floor vs SC. Or on some days possibly the best or 2nd best?
When you have the quality of 1 and 2 above- you need "A miracle" to beat another college team? It's just that you made it sound liek it's even harder than a miracle. UCONN is NOT "Creighton."
3-- We gain a full season of Edwards (has been our best inside player. The last month she has been much different.)
4-- We gain a full season of Ducharme (at one point during the season she was arguably our best/2nd best player)
5-- Boston is not a WNBA All-Star. On March 5th Ole Miss played SC to 61-51 game. Boston got 15 points. UCONN is defenseless? If UCONN has Dorka, Edwards and DeBerry and Piath, and Brady and Patterson, there is no way a defense can be put up to stop the player that scored 15 points vs Ole Miss?
I agree with all that you say, except…”Boston is not a WNBA All-Star”. Sure not now, but unquestionably in the future.

Reaction Score
I have lived in Greenville since 1994 and have seen tremendous growth in this area. What the city has done to the downtown area is nothing short of awesome. It really is a treat to spend a couple of hours downtown. There's so much to do. You MUST visit Falls Park if you come to visit.

I will be attending the Greenville Regional, regardless of which teams are there and hope I will finally get to meet some of the Boneyard posters I have interacted with on this message forum for the last few years.
I’ve heard from friends who vacationed there that it’s a wonderful place. Hope to be there (from Charlottesville) next March.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I think UConn fans will enjoy Greenville next year. The downtown is small but tightly compressed with every major hotel. All clean and newish. Restaurants and bars galore. Park your car and walk to the games and after gatherings. Great March weather (but for thunderstorms)

https://s3.amazonaws.com/newsimg.fu...153332/aerial-downtown-greenville-cropped.jpg

aerial-downtown-greenville-cropped.jpg

Greenville is a great place for the regional, the downtown is arguably the best in the Carolinas...and the arena's location is just about perfect.

Two qualms. If anyone is planning on driving there next year for the regional... be sure to leave a week before the games... cause it will take you about 6 days to drive from the NC border down to Greenville. Second... the arena needs to fix the issue with the ice condensation under the hardwood. It was a big issue when they had the men's tourney down there a few weeks ago. Lots of players were slipping and sliding, thankfully no major injuries occured.

Reaction Score
They'll dump this crazy idea after 3-4 years....and go back to 4 regionals....unle$$ the whole women's tournament goes under altogether......

Reaction Score
11,500 fans attended the Portland regionals in 2019. This year Spokane had attendance of 7,700 with the closest school being 900 miles away. Greensboro only had 6,500 with the closest school being 180 miles away.

Locations bid thinking they can get enough income from the event to justify it. Every so often the NCAA tries an experiment for 4 years to see if it increases attendance and/or fairness. 2005 they went to 8 sub-regional sites, like the men do. There was a period where schools could host regionals on their campuses. When these locations were bid on, Oregon and Oregon State were pretty strong and Washington had recently gone to a final four. UCLA should be able to make some noise the next four years with Kiki Rice. Hopefully Oregon and Oregon State will get better the next few years.

The NCAA hopes that having 6 regional games in one location will increase interest and possibly build new fans in the host area. I'm skeptical, but hopeful.

2026 the regionals will be in Sacramento (120 miles from Stanford- basically the same distance as UConn is from Albany) and Dallas.
If one of the reasons for this change is to try and build new fan interest in the host area by having 3 more games there, as opposed to a current Regional, then the decision makers at the NCAA are even bigger dilettantes and more shortsighted and incompetent than I thought and believe me, the bar was already pretty low.

So we want to make new fans of women's basketball in Seattle and Spokane by playing 3 extra games there? Wow. I didn't realize all you need is a few games more and you get addicted. The fans are related to the teams in this sport right now. I am sure when Kelsey Plum was there in Washington the attendance was higher than now. People go to root for their teams. The sport, except for UCONN and maybe one or two others, doesn't have the draw across the general population lines that it will in the future to the extent that the men's game currently enjoys.

I would go see Duke or NC play in a regional men's final or semifinal here in New Jersey, I did it the last time it was here. In fact I would just go to the regional semis no matter who was playing. Would I go see Oklahoma play Indiana in women's hoops at a regional here? Nope. My team is UCONN. I see them whenever I can and that is the point. While I am a fan of women's basketball it is not the same thing as the draw of the men's game. Not yet but it is coming, slowly and surely. I bet there was more gambling on the NCAA women's tourney this year than ever before with almost all of those wagers coming from men. When that happens, the interest changes as well. I understand that to many the G word is abhorrent, but it is a reality. I think one day the interest in women's basketball will be so great that we will not be able to imagine it otherwise.

The NCAA is not growing anything with this nonsense. They are just looking at the bottom line and creating even more complaints of favoritism. They had to change the transfer rules and create the portal because they couldn't handle it fairly and were getting maligned and probably sued. This change is not borne of a vision, it's borne of a bean counter's advice, I guarantee.

Reaction Score
Greenville is a great place for the regional, the downtown is arguably the best in the Carolinas...and the arena's location is just about perfect.

Two qualms. If anyone is planning on driving there next year for the regional... be sure to leave a week before the games... cause it will take you about 6 days to drive from the NC border down to Greenville. Second... the arena needs to fix the issue with the ice condensation under the hardwood. It was a big issue when they had the men's tourney down there a few weeks ago. Lots of players were slipping and sliding, thankfully no major injuries occured.
Once you get to Spartanburg it’s fine. State line through Gaffney is horrible

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Next year Las Vegas is one of the host city's for the men's Regionals, so the NCAA should find out how the city does when it comes to drawing the fans. The first week of this years tournament there was an estimated 100,000 people here just for the betting and watching of the tournament in all of the sports books.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I have been talking about Vegas the last 2 days. You could have a girl's and women's basketball festival with contests, Hall of Famers, clinics, youth tournaments, mini basketball camps, exhibitors and exhibitions, and the like plus a great place for food and entertainment for the whole family. To grow the game you need a place the young players want to go to and the parents or grandparents want to take them to also. If I get on a plane to go 3,000 miles it will not be just to see games. I want other reasons also such as to make it a vacation. Seattle, Spokane and Portland ain't exactly the same nor are the other sites. Like someone said, when was the last time the NCAA did something right? They bungled the whole transfer hardship exemptions so badly they just scrapped it for the transfer portal. Do not think for a minute that was anything other than getting rid of potential future lawsuits due to the capriciousness of their decisions.
One more thought about this. The NCAA can set up a NCAA WBB experience with former wbb players and coaches available for autographs and pictures. The final four games could also be played there negating the need for traveling to another venue.

A tournament pass could be purchased for admittance to any/all games at any venue including the last two championship games. How can you complain about a scenario like that other than maybe the location?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I was in Greenville back in 2017 for work and we just so happened to end a day earlier than expected -- and it was when the SEC wbb tournament was going on! Of course I got tickets and ended up getting to see both SC and Miss State play. Great atmosphere, nice stadium, and even though I was in "enemy territory" wearing UConn gear, everyone was very nice. I even ended up buying a SEC wbb tourney shirt to remember the trip!

I did go to dinner nearby later and confirm there is a lot there. It looked like a lot of new development and pretty easy to get around. I wouldn't mind revisiting at some point.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
I was in Greenville back in 2017 for work and we just so happened to end a day earlier than expected -- and it was when the SEC wbb tournament was going on! Of course I got tickets and ended up getting to see both SC and Miss State play. Great atmosphere, nice stadium, and even though I was in "enemy territory" wearing UConn gear, everyone was very nice. I even ended up buying a SEC wbb tourney shirt to remember the trip!

I did go to dinner nearby later and confirm there is a lot there. It looked like a lot of new development and pretty easy to get around. I wouldn't mind revisiting at some point.
Greenville has apparently impressed the SEC and the NCAA, because now we are part of the regular rotation for both the SEC conference tournament and regional games for both the men's and women's tournaments. The public has done a wonderful job of supporting these events when held here.

Reaction Score
I have lived in Greenville since 1994 and have seen tremendous growth in this area. What the city has done to the downtown area is nothing short of awesome. It really is a treat to spend a couple of hours downtown. There's so much to do. You MUST visit Falls Park if you come to visit.

I will be attending the Greenville Regional, regardless of which teams are there and hope I will finally get to meet some of the Boneyard posters I have interacted with on this message forum for the last few years.
Greenville is my hometown. Grew up on North Main. Although I haven’t lived there in 30 years, I plan to retire in the area.

I plan to attend as well. When we get close to the time, we’ll need to plan a get together.

Reaction Score
Once you get to Spartanburg it’s fine. State line through Gaffney is horrible
Depending where you are coming from, skip Charlotte and Gaffney area and take 26 to 25. When we used to drive to CT that saved us a ton of hassle and traffic jams.

Reaction Score
While I love the Greenville, SC location (I can drive), unusual some of these 2nd tier cities (i.e. Birmingham, Greenville) were picked. Nice cities but difficult locations to fly into with a limited number of hotel rooms. Would love to know the process that was followed to make city picks.

Reaction Score
While I love the Greenville, SC location (I can drive), unusual some of these 2nd tier cities (i.e. Birmingham, Greenville) were picked. Nice cities but difficult locations to fly into with a limited number of hotel rooms. Would love to know the process that was followed to make city picks.
Here is the RFP document for hosting a Regional:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Well part of the problem with bigger cities is that many have both NBA and NHL teams that make it harder for an arena to be available for a whole week. In addition, you would want to put it in an area that has shown some interest in WBB. I know Des Moines had a regional back in 2012 I think.... that would be a good location for another one in my opinion as they really support WBB on a state level. Plus a WBB regional in a big city wouldn't even move the radar, and would be largely ignored by the local population and media.

I think Greenville has enough hotel rooms... but yeah.. its not the easiest place to fly to.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Probably boiled down to bidding

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Probably boiled down to bidding

Exactly, the NCAA can't force a tournament upon a city. With that being said, I wonder why Charlotte hasn't hosted a final 4 again. They have a huge hub airport, the arena is perfectly situated with thousands of hotel rooms and restaurants within walking distance of the arena. The convention center is a block away, and the light rail has a stop right by the arena. The hot areas of South End and NoDa with tons of restaurants and stuff are just a few rail stops away as well.

Reaction Score

super nice airport also, like a city park

Reaction Score
With the exception of Spokane, all these arenas seat more than 15,000 (Spokane approx. 12,600). Bridgeport only seats about 10,000. Don't know if the NCAA will want to go with such a comparitively small arena, though Bridgeport fills the arena, while the others tend not to.
According to ESPN's box score the 15000 seat Wichita arena drew 4500 for their E8 game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom