The last 8 minutes of the game... | The Boneyard

The last 8 minutes of the game...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
after Banks hit her FT at the 7:59 mark, UCONN scored 2 points and Marquette scored 16. So we got outscored 14 over the last 8 minutes.

It's kinda funny because the announcer said at about the 8 minute mark that Marquette had not allowed 100 points scored against them this season, but that was in jeopardy as UCONN had 83 and so much time was left. I sorta laughed at the time doubting we'd get to 90. I did not realize we'd only score 2 in the last 8 minutes, though. It was UGLY...

Reaction Score
The trick to watching sports this afternoon was knowing when to transition from the UConn game to the Denver-Baltimore football playoff game. Exciting and tied in the 4th quarter! ;)

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Kinda' reminds me of a few years ago when the UConn bench looked like the Keystone cops. Remember the pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass throw it away offense? Four guards around the perimeter and a post(?) player that wanted to be somewhere else. I won't mention any names lest I be fed to the wolves. At least the current version isn't afraid to shoot.

Actually, the subs missed shots that were going in earlier in the game. I think it appeared uglier than it was not just because the shots weren't falling but also because the team played so well for most of the game.

Reaction Score
I think it's a combination of a few things, the entire 2nd unit usually doesn't have all 5 on the floor, usually at least one key player is out there to over see the chaos and take the shot. Not used to playing in games. Not wanting to make mistakes, they think too hard, instead of just playing. Also, I am sure Geno calls off the Dogs,(in this case Huskies.) Not wanting to run up the score any more than it is. I keep thinking, they should have the second unit late in the game say, "We are going to get the ball to Heather no matter what happens." Have her build up confidence in shooting. Not have to worry about getting the hook from Geno or the wrath of CD if She misses (IMHO)

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
after Banks hit her FT at the 7:59 mark, UCONN scored 2 points and Marquette scored 16. So we got outscored 14 over the last 8 minutes.

It's kinda funny because the announcer said at about the 8 minute mark that Marquette had not allowed 100 points scored against them this season, but that was in jeopardy as UCONN had 83 and so much time was left. I sorta laughed at the time doubting we'd get to 90. I did not realize we'd only score 2 in the last 8 minutes, though. It was UGLY...
You're not claiming that our second team isn't as good as a top 10 team, are you? BLASPHEMY!!!!!

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

It's actually worse than that. We scored at 9:44, almost 10 minutes left, and hit one ft and one basket after that. That's a pace to score about 13 points in a game. I know there are other teams that relax when they get a big lead, but it has been a source of pride that we play almost to the end (hold up when 30 seconds are left). That didn't happen. As others have noted, there are reasons, but it was a sobering end to an otherwise fine game.

Reaction Score
It's actually worse than that. We scored at 9:44, almost 10 minutes left, and hit one ft and one basket after that. That's a pace to score about 13 points in a game. I know there are other teams that relax when they get a big lead, but it has been a source of pride that we play almost to the end (hold up when 30 seconds are left). That didn't happen. As others have noted, there are reasons, but it was a sobering end to an otherwise fine game.
They were running their plays, just like practice. Geno almost never embarrasses the other coach... unlike some others.

Reaction Score
They were running their plays, just like practice. Geno almost never embarrasses the other coach... unlike some others.

They were getting pretty good looks that weren't falling. Another positive is that they only had 1 turnover in the final 10 minutes or so.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
well i'm just gonna say it. Buck, Tuck, Jefferson, Banks and Stokes is not an offensive Juggernaut, but still. You would think 5th year senior Buck would be able to do more. The disappointing thing is it was against marquette. you would think even our "third" unit would be able to do something against marquette... 3 points over the last 10 minutes of a game? even a UCONN 3rd team of walk ons should be able to do better than that.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I just turned it off...Let's think about that first half, which really looked like UCONN BB!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom