The Kibitzer Memorial Badass Award | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Kibitzer Memorial Badass Award

Reaction Score
I get the sentiment for the seniors with a tear in me eye ... :( A special group that I hope will get a well deserved NC.
Back on topic, Christyn had a no look pass today that wowed the crowd, but the 3/4 court bullet / dime from Paige to her was something special. Paige had 5 assists in 13 minutes leading the team in that category today. Four of them were passes that we have not seen executed in a couple of months.
If it were player of the game I have to go with Olivia, my Badass has to go with Paige, honorable mention to Christyn / Olivia.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Remember he thought Tuck was coming back as well.
I think everyone knew Morgan's decision during the NC post game celebration. At least I thought it was obvious.
Now back to the OP...the Four Seniors.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Really wishing I could have watched the game so I could throw my vote in. Hoping it may pop up on You Tube to watch.....
The game was on CBSSN so it will be uploaded to UCONNHUSKYGAMES in the next couple of days. But before then, it should be on YouTube.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
But Tuck had serious knee problems and knew she had limited good playing years left.

Tuck also had the opportunity to make history by going 1-2-3 in the draft with her teammates.

Reaction Score
I agree with the seniors but.... ;)

I just can't be more thrilled with the way Caroline makes such quick offensive decisions. Yeah, once in a while it's the wrong one but she never hesitates. If she gets a pass in the post, the ball never comes down above her head - she simply goes up immediately with excellent results. So nice to watch.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It should also be noted on Liv's resume that she gets practically every opening tip to start the game, i.e. one extra possession each and every game. Not to be taken lightly, eh?
It should be noted that this is not correct and I'm surprised you being a former coach would think that it is. Winning the opening tip simply determines which team get first possession of the ball. After the opening tip the possession arrow alternates on each tie up and the start of each quarter. So Liv winning a tip means the other team get the ball to start the 2nd quarter and 4th quarters- there is no extra possession. That is also why they have another jump ball to start an OT period. Didn't they go over this with you when you were coaching at CTK?

Reaction Score
Yes please note that I m absolutely correct and here's why:
If you win the opening tip to start the game, you are "up" one possession. At the next jump ball the possessions 'even out' and so on for the rest of the game. If you win the opening tip, you can never be "down" a possession; you are either "up" one possession or [else] "even" on possessions, eh?
The possession arrow was in Depaul's favor when Caroline hit the winning shot. If the possession arrow is pointing toward DePaul, it means that we are "up" one possession all because Liv won the opening tip. That is what is meant by "extra possession". Depaul never got the chance to use its 'alternate possession' as time ran out.
I explained this hard-to-grasp concept to the people at Christ the King and they were very thankful.

Reaction Score
If you win the opening tip to start the game, you are "up" one possession. At the next jump ball the possessions 'even out' and so on for the rest of the game. If you win the opening tip, you can never be "down" a possession; you are either "up" one possession or [else] "even" on possessions, eh?
The possession arrow was in Depaul's favor when Caroline hit the winning shot. If the possession arrow is pointing toward DePaul, it means that we are "up" one possession all because Liv won the opening tip. That is what is meant by "extra possession". Depaul never got the chance to use its 'alternate possession' as time ran out.
I explained this hard-to-grasp concept to the people at Christ the King and they were very thankful.
So what happens if the arrow is pointing to the team that won the opening tip, the Arrow is pointing in their direction and the game ends. Doesn't that mean that each team received equal "Jump ball" possession? To me you are correct 50% of the time. Just trying to understand your post/point......

Reaction Score
So what happens if the arrow is pointing to the team that won the opening tip, the Arrow is pointing in their direction and the game ends. Doesn't that mean that each team received equal "Jump ball" possession? To me you are correct 50% of the time. Just trying to understand your post/point......
My point is in response to CocoHusky who incorrectly thinks there is no advantage to winning the opening tip. Pls explain the 'advantage' to her in simple terms.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
My point is in response to CocoHusky who incorrectly thinks there is no advantage to winning the opening tip. Pls explain the 'advantage' to her in simple terms.
The one exception to your point is if the game goes into OT, where there is a 2nd jump ball and then one for each subsequent OT. If you win both the regular and OT jump balls your team can potentially be up two possessions, or none. If you win one jump ball and lose the 2nd, all three options come into play: up 1, down 1 or no advantage.

Reaction Score
This was another game when you could pick multiple BA's. For me it's Liv. Her stat line, 13 pts (5/9), 8 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal, 2 blocks. But even better, Liv pretty much fouled out the entire Providence frontcourt. :)
^^^^THIS

Reaction Score
The one exception to your point is if the game goes into OT, where there is a 2nd jump ball and then one for each subsequent OT. If you win both the regular and OT jump balls your team can potentially be up two possessions, or none. If you win one jump ball and lose the 2nd, all three options come into play: up 1, down 1 or no advantage.
Overtime, in college basketball, is exactly like a regulation basketball game, only shortened to one period.
At the start of overtime, a center-circle jump ball [tip-off] is used to put the ball into play. If Liv wins the tip-off, UConn is "up" one possession, an important advantage, esp if the Huskies opponent doesn't get to utilise his 'alternate possession' during the short [5-minute] extra session, eh?
Because Liv won the tip, UConn can only be "up" or "even" on possessions, but never "down" in regard to possessions.
IMO, Liv doesn't get enough credit for the 30 or so tip-offs she wins for her club each season.

Reaction Score
Jingo, I get it. In football teams defer the coin toss because that's like getting "last ups" in baseball. In basketball, with so many possessions, the advantage is much less. More important is the opportunity to go up 2 - zip at the start than having maybe a very slight advantage in possessions. (IMHO)

Reaction Score
Jingo, I get it. In football teams defer the coin toss because that's like getting "last ups" in baseball. In basketball, with so many possessions, the advantage is much less. More important is the opportunity to go up 2 - zip at the start than having maybe a very slight advantage in possessions. (IMHO)
You're right Skeets, only a slight advantage in hoops, but an advantage none-the-less, eh? I luv Liv. She contributes in so many ways for the Huskies - scoring, rebounds, blocked shots, assists and so on; I mean, she sets the best screens for Paige's pullup jumper!
And the BEST: when other teams prepare for UConn - as Patrick Ewing once said - they have to think twice about driving down the lane!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom