The journey continues | The Boneyard

The journey continues

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
As we continue to get players off the injured reserve and they get up to speed our chances of playing poorly will decrease. Our margin for errors will decrease. What was a poor game a few weeks ago will be at a higher level of not happening because of our depth and quality of players returning. We may have a poor game however we most likely wont play a game as poorly as we did in the past due to the fact that we now have players who have grown up because they were forced to due to what we were goin through. Those players who may not have gotten the minutes they did due to injuries and covid did get alot of playtime and learned to play as they stumbled forward gaining experience. The growth within the team individually and as a team has improved and we saw that in the last game. Now by adding Liv Azzi and Caroline and soon Paige we will be deep and strong.

UConns complexity has changed. Our injuries and covid which we all saw as bad luck has made us better for it. We now have game time experience and we were forced to learn and change to get to where we are today. That just sweetens the pot. Now we will go through a growing period of learning to play together as each player returns. The playtime minutes may be shortened as to not allow injuries to reoccur.

A few weeks ago we were concerned that we didnt have shooters and defenses packed it in against us. They cant do that now. We were making silly mistakes and not executing and thats improved now. Everybody has improved and it looks like theyre having fun. We now see smiles on their faces and determination in their game. The fight intensity and energy is back. We have been developed over these past few months. Its been a tuff road and even Geno seemed to be not sure what was going on. Now the pieces of the puzzle are coming back. We arent where we wanna be yet but we can see it developing.

There was a time a few weeks ago when fans thought UConn was dead and their run was finished. The doom and gloom we once felt is showing some sunshine. Things are getting brighter for this team. At one point we had 50pts sitting on the bench. Now theyre in the lineup. We still have another 20 pts sitting on the bench. Think about that and what happen when we are no longer Paige-less. What was once a team that looked lost is now a team playing with confidence. Im excited. If we stay healthy this is gonna be a monumental season for UConn. We have all the pieces in depth, experience, height, shooters, scorers and defenders. This is a turning point in our season. Team were licking their chops when a depleted UConn came to town. That aint so no more. We now have assassins' and what they can do is gonna be un-be-leave-able.

Reaction Score
As we continue to get players off the injured reserve and they get up to speed our chances of playing poorly will decrease. Our margin for errors will decrease. What was a poor game a few weeks ago will be at a higher level of not happening because of our depth and quality of players returning. We may have a poor game however we most likely wont play a game as poorly as we did in the past due to the fact that we now have players who have grown up because they were forced to due to what we were goin through. Those players who may not have gotten the minutes they did due to injuries and covid did get alot of playtime and learned to play as they stumbled forward gaining experience. The growth within the team individually and as a team has improved and we saw that in the last game. Now by adding Liv Azzi and Caroline and soon Paige we will be deep and strong.

UConns complexity has changed. Our injuries and covid which we all saw as bad luck has made us better for it. We now have game time experience and we were forced to learn and change to get to where we are today. That just sweetens the pot. Now we will go through a growing period of learning to play together as each player returns. The playtime minutes may be shortened as to not allow injuries to reoccur.

A few weeks ago we were concerned that we didnt have shooters and defenses packed it in against us. They cant do that now. We were making silly mistakes and not executing and thats improved now. Everybody has improved and it looks like theyre having fun. We now see smiles on their faces and determination in their game. The fight intensity and energy is back. We have been developed over these past few months. Its been a tuff road and even Geno seemed to be not sure what was going on. Now the pieces of the puzzle are coming back. We arent where we wanna be yet but we can see it developing.

There was a time a few weeks ago when fans thought UConn was dead and their run was finished. The doom and gloom we once felt is showing some sunshine. Things are getting brighter for this team. At one point we had 50pts sitting on the bench. Now theyre in the lineup. We still have another 20 pts sitting on the bench. Think about that and what happen when we are no longer Paige-less. What was once a team that looked lost is now a team playing with confidence. Im excited. If we stay healthy this is gonna be a monumental season for UConn. We have all the pieces in depth, experience, height, shooters, scorers and defenders. This is a turning point in our season. Team were licking their chops when a depleted UConn came to town. That aint so no more. We now have assassins' and what they can do is gonna be un-be-leave-able.
TonyC as always positive, Thank you. If by some chance or act of a supreme being either of the 2 6 ft 5in post can play 20 minutes against the near best. we'd truly bless and the NC would not be a dream. Thank you Mr. Positive!!!!!

Reaction Score
You’re on a roll Tony. James Michener would be proud. The Churchill “We will fight them on the beaches” speech equals the inspiration you bring to the citizens of the BY. As this team slowly rids themselves of the braces, bandages and crutches and inches closer to full strength, we are all excited and optimistic about the very near future. Till then, your treatises continue to inspire us.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I get that people want to be optimistic after what has been a long, draining, and difficult season. But let's not forget we got our asses handed to us by SC when we had the entire roster save Aubrey. They outscored us 24-18 in Q3 and 16-3 in Q4.

We started Paige, CW, Evina, Aaliyah, and Olivia. We had Azzi, Mir, Dorka and Nika off the bench. Caroline did not play, but not because she was injured. Amari and Piath did not play either.

I would say that neither Nika nor Azzi was 100% in that game. Caroline had not shown how incredible she is. We outplayed them in Q1, but lost the remaining 3 Q's. Once we get Paige back we will be 100% healthy, and a scary team in the NCAA's. But it's far to early to say that we are a true NC contender, never mind even a lock to make the final 4.

Part of the reason so many fans lost their minds this season was because of unrealistic expectations in the face of constantly changing lineups (9 so far), and literally every player on the team dealing with an injury or illness save for 2 (Liya and Evina). And those last 2 were mired in some sort of funk most of the season.

We got our asses kicked by Georgia Tech and Oregon. I know we have added back pieces since then, but aside from beating an over rated Tennessee team, we have not fared well against teams outside the big east, and even lost a game to Villanova recently.

And I also don't believe any UCONN fans thought we were dead. We were the walking wounded. As crazy as it was, it was also frustrating to see such highly rated recruits unable to put it together against teams we felt we should beat.

On the flip side, I totally agree that the silver lining to all the injuries and illnesses is that Caroline especially has gotten the PT to emerge as a true star on the team. Getting Azzi to 100% has also been a huge blessing as well. But let's not forget that every other team out there has had just as many months to practice, improve, and grow chemistry.

I like where we are going, but the reality is even at 100% we will be hard pressed to make the final 4 this season, never mind win the NC. Just look at the first 7 minutes of Q1 and the first 5 minutes of Q2 in just our most recent game against a dreadful Xavier team - 3rd worst in the BE and recently depleted of their 2 best players. Throw up a stretch like that against any top 25 team and we'd be down 20-25 at halftime.

Personally, I need to see more consistency before I jump on any "we are going all the way" bandwagon. I'm cautiously optimistic, but it will be a gargantuan challenge. If we do win the NC this season, it will be the greatest accomplishment in UCONN women's basketball history bar none.

Reaction Score
I get that people want to be optimistic after what has been a long, draining, and difficult season. But let's not forget we got our asses handed to us by SC when we had the entire roster save Aubrey. They outscored us 24-18 in Q3 and 16-3 in Q4.

We started Paige, CW, Evina, Aaliyah, and Olivia. We had Azzi, Mir, Dorka and Nika off the bench. Caroline did not play, but not because she was injured. Amari and Piath did not play either.

I would say that neither Nika nor Azzi was 100% in that game. Caroline had not shown how incredible she is. We outplayed them in Q1, but lost the remaining 3 Q's. Once we get Paige back we will be 100% healthy, and a scary team in the NCAA's. But it's far to early to say that we are a true NC contender, never mind even a lock to make the final 4.

Part of the reason so many fans lost their minds this season was because of unrealistic expectations in the face of constantly changing lineups (9 so far), and literally every player on the team dealing with an injury or illness save for 2 (Liya and Evina). And those last 2 were mired in some sort of funk most of the season.

We got our asses kicked by Georgia Tech and Oregon. I know we have added back pieces since then, but aside from beating an over rated Tennessee team, we have not fared well against teams outside the big east, and even lost a game to Villanova recently.

And I also don't believe any UCONN fans thought we were dead. We were the walking wounded. As crazy as it was, it was also frustrating to see such highly rated recruits unable to put it together against teams we felt we should beat.

On the flip side, I totally agree that the silver lining to all the injuries and illnesses is that Caroline especially has gotten the PT to emerge as a true star on the team. Getting Azzi to 100% has also been a huge blessing as well. But let's not forget that every other team out there has had just as many months to practice, improve, and grow chemistry.

I like where we are going, but the reality is even at 100% we will be hard pressed to make the final 4 this season, never mind win the NC. Just look at the first 7 minutes of Q1 and the first 5 minutes of Q2 in just our most recent game against a dreadful Xavier team - 3rd worst in the BE and recently depleted of their 2 best players. Throw up a stretch like that against any top 25 team and we'd be down 20-25 at halftime.

Personally, I need to see more consistency before I jump on any "we are going all the way" bandwagon. I'm cautiously optimistic, but it will be a gargantuan challenge. If we do win the NC this season, it will be the greatest accomplishment in UCONN women's basketball history bar none.
Oh great. Why did you have to ruin all the sunshine and lollipops by throwing reality in here? Clearly you don't see how unbeatable this team will be. ;)

Reaction Score
I think the reality (as usual) is somewhere in the middle between Tony and Eric. I think if all goes well we definitely have the potential/ability to reach the FF. However, they’re going to have to integrate Paige back in and clean up some of the negative play such as slow starts, lethargic stretches, not blocking out, rebounding, ball movement, poor quarters, etc.

One thing I would say is that I don’t really look at the Georgia Tech, Oregon, and Villanova losses as negatively as some on this board. Each of those games were preceded by the sudden loss of player/s without time for the team to adjust. Sure, they’re losses but imo should not be used as part of an evaluative look at our team.

I certainly don’t think we are any kind of favorite to reach or win the Final Four but assuming we are healthy and whole, with some time to gel, I’d have to say we have as good a chance (maybe slightly better) as anyone not named SC or Stanford and I’ll take my chances with either of those teams in a one game scenario!

Reaction Score
We are at the time of the year when Job #1 is to "JUST WIN BABY"

just do it GIF
... one day at a time, one game at a time. Win the games you are supposed to win. That's how the rest of the BE regular season is lined up for UCONN over the next week. Win and add one more to the W Column. There are no style points... ugly wins have the same impact in the record books and continuing in the Tournaments as pretty wins. Other dominoes are continuing to fall throughout NCAA WBB... such as today, #8 Arizona lost to unranked Washington State. Other losses will continue to happen to teams ranked near or above UCONN... UCONN has to remain strong and not fall to the "trap games." Win the BE regular season over the next week and then be seeded #1 in BE Tournament. Based on Geno's comments, that is when Paige may make her first return to playing. Getting Paige back will be so beneficial, and not just on the court. It will lift her Teammates and add a very big element that our opponents will have to game plan for. This should be a fun ride!!!

GO HUSKIES

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom