OT: - The Joker | The Boneyard

OT: The Joker

Reaction Score
Has anyone seen it yet? Going this week. 95% of the people who I've talked to that have seen it said it was incredible. The Dark Knight is one of my favorite movies of all time, and Heath Ledger's portrayal of the Joker was of GOAT caliber. Really excited to see this one, but know that I can't compare the two performances...but I will anyways. Thoughts? No spoilers please and thank you.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Joaquin Phoenix’s performance was insanely good and the progression of his character was really well done.

I still walked away feeling like there was something missing. Like the movie tried to say a lot and send a message either about politics or humanity but it just felt a bit empty.

Still would definitely recommend seeing it though.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
This seems to be a love it or hate it movie. Getting lots of positive reaction (Oscar worthy performance, brilliant, best movie of the year, etc.), but some negative as well. Slow paced/boring, depressing, deeply disturbing, that sort of thing.

It did set a record for best opening weekend for a film in the month of October.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
but some negative as well. Slow paced/boring, depressing, deeply disturbing, that sort of thing.
I still walked away feeling like there was something missing. Like the movie tried to say a lot and send a message either about politics or humanity but it just felt a bit empty.

Isn't it supposed to though? What with it's commentary on loneliness and isolation?

Can't wait to see it, but I'll probably wait for TV release. Theater generally has to be a spectacle for me.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
17 year old son saw it with some friends. He is totally of the Marvel, DC and X-Men generation of films.

They all loved it. He said it was best comic movie he's seen.

He was also super psyched when ticket booth carded him and he realized he was seeing his first R rated movie legally.

On another side note, WTF were they thinking with using Gary Glitter in movie.

He's ten stages beyond creep and a full fledge international pedophile.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
The media is paranoid. This movie has important topics that need to be discussed like mental illness, and the film handles it so well.

Phoenix’s performance is mesmerizing and so is the directors vision. The way the camera moves just makes the storytelling so submersive.

The ending is very thought provoking, will keep you talking about it for a while.

Go see this movie. Hollywood needs more of these types of movies that take risks. Especially in the comic book movie genre that most of the time sticks to a formula.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Has anyone seen it yet? Going this week. 95% of the people who I've talked to that have seen it said it was incredible. The Dark Knight is one of my favorite movies of all time, and Heath Ledger's portrayal of the Joker was of GOAT caliber. Really excited to see this one, but know that I can't compare the two performances...but I will anyways. Thoughts? No spoilers please and thank you.
Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to stay home and watch Batman reruns with Cesare Romero as The Joker?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
17 year old son saw it with some friends. He is totally of the Marvel, DC and X-Men generation of films.

They all loved it. He said it was best comic movie he's seen.

He was also super psyched when ticket booth carded him and he realized he was seeing his first R rated movie legally.

On another side note, were they thinking with using Gary Glitter in movie.

He's ten stages beyond creep and a full fledge international pedophile.

If one considers film to be "art", and the song was used in a key scene, maybe that's what the artist intended and did not believe a substitute would be suitable for the feeling they were trying to convey.

Doesn't bother me at all used in this way. However, given it's history, it would be ridiculous to still be played at sporting events.

Reaction Score
Just saw it. Unlike any movie I’ve ever seen, hard to describe. Just really well done and was suspenseful for the entire film. Really good.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Saw this last night. Very different from what I was expecting. Very well done. Beautifully shot and acted. Great score, too. Phoenix will definitely and deservedly be in the running for Best Actor.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
FWIW, I heard a glowing Joker review just the other day from a friend I never thought would even go and see it.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
Saw this last night. Very different from what I was expecting. Very well done. Beautifully shot and acted. Great score, too. Phoenix will definitely and deservedly be in the running for Best Actor.
Gotta be between Phoenix and Driver now.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I've yet to see any of the movies in full, so take this with a recruiting level grainof salt, but it Phoenix doesn't win, he got robbed. From what little I've seen, his character acting here was sensational.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Gotta be between Phoenix and Driver now.

I don't usually follow these things, but I just looked at the nominees list and am stunned that Paul Walter Hauser wasn't nominated for "Richard Jewell", while Kathy Bates was. Then again, there's this quote from Hollywood Reporter:
"Also MIA from the category...1917's George Mackay and Richard Jewell's Paul Walter Hauser (the HFPA has always gravitated towards veterans and household names, especially when it comes to male actors). "

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
I don't usually follow these things, but I just looked at the nominees list and am stunned that Paul Walter Hauser wasn't nominated for "Richard Jewell", while Kathy Bates was. Then again, there's this quote from Hollywood Reporter:
That movie came out after the nominations were released so idk if he qualifies for this year or next.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
That movie came out after the nominations were released so idk if he qualifies for this year or next.

If Kathy Bates qualified for playing Jewell's mother, so would Hauser.

Reaction Score
I just saw it. Amazing performance, but it was kind of what we have come to expect from Phoenix.

As others have pointed out, this movie had some commonality with Taxi Driver and King of Comedy. So I kind of felt like I had heard this story before.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
Driver? For what, playing Emo Kylo Ren

He was actually pretty good in Marriage Story. I hope that was what you meant.
1. Yes I meant Marriage Story
2. He was the best part of the sequel trilogy so don’t hate Kylo pls

Reaction Score
It is very good. Different. Basically shows how the Joker became the Joker. Not quite Heath Ledger level but Phoenix is great. Will be up for a best actor Oscar. But I would take Adam Sandler over him for his work in Uncut Gems.

Reaction Score
It is very good. Different. Basically shows how the Joker became the Joker. Not quite Heath Ledger level but Phoenix is great. Will be up for a best actor Oscar. But I would take Adam Sandler over him for his work in Uncut Gems.
I cant wait to see Uncut Gems although I find its hard to believe Sandler is better that JP in Joker.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom