OT: - The Ivies Cancel Fall Sports | The Boneyard

OT: The Ivies Cancel Fall Sports

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Today the Ivy League announced their decision to cancel fall sports, leaving open the possibility of moving sports like football to the spring semester. Winter sports like basketball will not be permitted to start before January 1, although athletes may use university facilities to train. This may or may not be a harbinger of things to come for college sports across the nation. With Covid-19 cases surging in football hotbeds like TX, FL and other states, there is a great deal of uncertainty around the country right now.

All the Ivies are sitting on billion-dollar endowments, so they are much better insulated to weather a shortfall in revenue from enrollment, fees and other sources than most colleges and universities. In addition, the prestige of the Ancient 8 makes it unlikely that future applications will drop off, if and when things return to normal.

I had expected the Ivies to lead the way on football and fall sports, just as they lead the way as the first conference to cancel their post-season basketball tournament on March 10. In many ways, Ivy League sports are unique. There are no athletic scholarships, no post-season football games and Ivy Leaguers do not generally leave school early for the NFL, MLB, NBA, WNBA, etc. While teams generate modest revenue from local tv, ticket and merchandise sales, most of the funding for Ivy League sports comes from significant donations from well-heeled alumni.

Time will tell whether this decision by the Ivy League is simply an outlier, or the “canary in the coal mine.”

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm sure there are athletic scholarships in the Ivy League ...they just call them by other names...:eek:
Incorrect. Other than families that pay the full boat, all families of prospective students to IVY League schools must file financial aid paperwork, including tax records through the financial aid clearinghouse in Princeton, NJ. The clearinghouse then determines a financial aid package that is typically made up of 3 components: scholarship aid, loans and work study, with parents required to contribute any difference between the financial aid package and total tuition, room and fees.

All Ivy League students, whether they play sports, or not, are evaluated exactly the same when it comes to financial aid. Scholarship aid is academic in nature. There are no binding LOI's, including no requirement for athletes to actually compete in a sport, in order to receive their financial aid. For that matter, there is no requirement for the Ivy League schools to field teams at all, as today's decision makes clear.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In other news
That's from a University that has more than $25 billion in endowments.
Wow! Stanford may have the best array of athletic teams in the world. And they have a ton of money as well.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In other news
That's from a University that has more than $25 billion in endowments.
That places Stanford 4th overall. Yale is 3rd with around $29 billion. The University of Texas system is 2nd at $30 billion. #1 you can probably guess. Harvard's endowment is estimated to be $38 billion.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
We are living in an era of alternate reality
I've been on my bandstand since the Spring with the unpopular message that sports: College..Pro whatever...are toast for the near term.

And this was before...what did McEnany call it (the embers) are extinguished.

I was surprised at the resilience of the virus...didn't really expect the level of contagion, that we now see in the South, SouthWest and California...

A few brave people tried to tell us, but they were largely shouted down...
Now the emphasis is on the misguided concept that school doors can be
flung wide open, come the Fall...Ok, if you say so...

Its possible to have sport (with zero or limited attendance) now...If the virus is beaten down...That's a big if. It's possible to do...see Italy, Germany...New York!! Proud to be a New Yorker (even if I'm hiding in NE Vermont).

Hold up your hand if you foresee a national policy to extinguish the problem. Until (When) you do...because eventually its inevitable, regardless of the party in power...this thing only responds to a unified approach...

Until then, normalcy is a wistful fantasy...with woman's collegiate BB, way down the totem pole, virtually out of sight.

Reaction Score
Incorrect. Other than families that pay the full boat, all families of prospective students to IVY League schools must file financial aid paperwork, including tax records through the financial aid clearinghouse in Princeton, NJ. The clearinghouse then determines a financial aid package that is typically made up of 3 components: scholarship aid, loans and work study, with parents required to contribute any difference between the financial aid package and total tuition, room and fees.

All Ivy League students, whether they play sports, or not, are evaluated exactly the same when it comes to financial aid. Scholarship aid is academic in nature. There are no binding LOI's, including no requirement for athletes to actually compete in a sport, in order to receive their financial aid. For that matter, there is no requirement for the Ivy League schools to field teams at all, as today's decision makes clear.
okay dokey...wink/wink..guess that's why a Yale soccer coach got caught in the cheating scandal..lol

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
We are living in an era of alternate reality
I've been on my bandstand since the Spring with the unpopular message that sports: College..Pro whatever...are toast for the near term.

And this was before...what did McEnany call it (the embers) are extinguished.

I was surprised at the resilience of the virus...didn't really expect the level of contagion, that we now see in the South, SouthWest and California...

A few brave people tried to tell us, but they were largely shouted down...
Now the emphasis is on the misguided concept that school doors can be
flung wide open, come the Fall...Ok, if you say so...

Its possible to have sport (with zero or limited attendance) now...If the virus is beaten down...That's a big if. It's possible to do...see Italy, Germany...New York!! Proud to be a New Yorker (even if I'm hiding in NE Vermont).

Hold up your hand if you foresee a national policy to extinguish the problem. Until (When) you do...because eventually its inevitable, regardless of the party in power...this thing only responds to a unified approach...

Until then, normalcy is a wistful fantasy...with woman's collegiate BB, way down the totem pole, virtually out of sight.
Ms McEnany and the "embers" quote was truly inspired. Before Harvard Law, she graduated from Georgetown with a "BS" , thoroughly appropriate, in Euphemism. She is rumored to have a secondary degree in Distraction and Obfuscation. It is amazing what people can be trained to do! Head bang

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
okay dokey...wink/wink..guess that's why a Yale soccer coach got caught in the cheating scandal..lol
Two entirely different issues. Ivy League coaches do have some input into acceptance decisions. They have 0 influence on financial aid decisions which are entirely based on financial need.

As I indicated, all Ivy schools use the same clearinghouse in NJ to evaluate each student’s financial need. The clearinghouse only evaluates financial information. The staff has no idea if they are looking at an offensive tackle or a tuba player.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Two entirely different issues. Ivy League coaches do have some input into acceptance decisions. They have 0 influence on financial aid decisions which are entirely based on financial need.
mea culpa..haven't heard of any English profs getting bribed though.....

Reaction Score
That places Stanford 4th overall. Yale is 3rd with around $29 billion. The University of Texas system is 2nd at $30 billion. #1 you can probably guess. Harvard's endowment is estimated to be $38 billion.

In 2019 Stanford's endowment was 27.7 billion. Again, plenty to keep a few sports programs afloat.

Reaction Score
Ms McEnany and the "embers" quote was truly inspired. Before Harvard Law, she graduated from Georgetown with a "BS" , thoroughly appropriate, in Euphemism. She is rumored to have a secondary degree in Distraction and Obfuscation. It is amazing what people can be trained to do! Head bang
Bama, as one who majored in Distraction and Obfuscation I can say with complete honesty that it has opened doors that were at one time completely shut. When interviewed for any promotion my stock reply to any questions was "Residents of bituminous enclosures should hesitate prior to flinging objects of a mineral components." It both distracted and obfuscated them. By the way, leaving for The Burgh in the morning. Just in time. The Gov. shut down all the restaurants, parks and bars today. Going to take a walk around both stadiums and walk across the Clemente Bridge.

Reaction Score
The athletes I know who went to Harvard and Princeton got only one perk. It added to their overall application and helped them win admission against all the other 4 point GPAs applying.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Most endowments are down from the stock market peak. The University of Texas endowment includes several oil fields and related assets, so it may have taken an even bigger hit.

My son works for a top-20 university endowment.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It seems like a lifetime ago now, but on March 10 — a mere seventeen weeks ago — the Ivy League announced it was canceling its basketball postseason tournaments, a move that at the time seemed overreactive to some (a few Ivy League athletes vented their dissent over social media) but, in short order, proved precedent-setting. The NCAA tournament would be canceled a mere 48 hours later.

Will the Ivy once again be the first of a long line of fall sports dominoes to fall?

Reaction Score
I'm sure there are athletic scholarships in the Ivy League ...they just call them by other names...:eek:

The only scholarships in the Ivy league are need-based. Not only are there not athletic scholarships, there are no academic scholarships and no other funny ones.

Reaction Score

That had absolutely nothing to do with scholarships or financial aid. There are no athletic scholarships in the Ivy and no available money other than need based aid.

Reaction Score
It seems like a lifetime ago now, but on March 10 — a mere seventeen weeks ago — the Ivy League announced it was canceling its basketball postseason tournaments, a move that at the time seemed overreactive to some (a few Ivy League athletes vented their dissent over social media) but, in short order, proved precedent-setting. The NCAA tournament would be canceled a mere 48 hours later.

Will the Ivy once again be the first of a long line of fall sports dominoes to fall?

Yes, says Dan Shaughnessy. And I think he's right.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom