The improvement of Inês Bettencourt | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The improvement of Inês Bettencourt

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
As Nan has pointed out, Ines did not turn 18 until September (Paige turned 19 on Oct 20 her freshman year and Azzi turned 19 on Nov 11 of her freshman year by comparison) and didn't arrive at UConn until late August missing the June/July acclimation practice time with the team. To literally see the game-to-game improvement before our eyes is a joy to watch.

I also want to caution those that continue to harp on the players to come theme that when Nika signed on, many questioned and stated she would ride the bench all 4 years yet she's proven to be an integral part. What does the future hold for Ines, who really knows but as she is proving worthy now, I give you the phrase, "a bird in the hand, is worth two in the bush" so I am will be happy if KK is all that is advertised but also know that Ines can handle the demands. :)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
As Nan has pointed out, Ines did not turn 18 until September (Paige turned 19 on Oct 20 her freshman year and Azzi turned 19 on Nov 11 of her freshman year by comparison) and didn't arrive at UConn until late August missing the June/July acclimation practice time with the team. To literally see the game-to-game improvement before our eyes is a joy to watch.

I also want to caution those that continue to harp on the players to come theme that when Nika signed on, many questioned and stated she would ride the bench all 4 years yet she's proven to be an integral part. What does the future hold for Ines, who really knows but as she is proving worthy now, I give you the phrase, "a bird in the hand, is worth two in the bush" so I am will be happy if KK is all that is advertised but also know that Ines can handle the demands. :)
Ines is able to spell Nika this year without hurting the team while allowing Lou and Azzi to play their natural positions. In coming years, she can shepherd young players as Nika and Paige are doing now. And, heaven forbid, in the case of illness or injury, there’s a proven guard to step in. There is no downside to have an upperclass guard when you have young players on the court.

Reaction Score
so I am will be happy if KK is all that is advertised but also know that Ines can handle the demands.
I’ve wondered about how the guard situation will look next year. Playing time will be hard to come by and the competition will be interesting. Paige Azzi Nika Caroline Inês KK Ashlyn — that’s 7 not counting Qadence. I suppose we could think of Q and Caroline as wings or something not quite a guard, but it’s still going to be a crowded bench, and even the wing category will be crowded if Aubrey returns. And the front court will also be well stocked with Aaliyah Ice Ayanna Jana and Amari. We’re not used to seeing such a full roster at UConn. It’s a little disorienting.

There’s a place for Inês in this group, but she will have to compete for it. I look forward to seeing it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ines is improving every game. I like the fact that in the past two games, she is looking for her shot. Prior games, she looked tentative to shoot. She has a great looking shot and needs the confidence to take her shot when open. Make them guard her, which will really help our big's get open shots. We are lucky to have her, as it appears that we will be playing without a full deck for the entire season. Can't recall a team experiencing these number of injuries, over a period of one and one half years. Hopefully we can get the 10 players together sometime in the near future. Until then, march on.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Definite offensive improvement. She needs to work on her defense though. She lost her man several times out there last night.
This "was" a very nice thread that HuskyNan started to show how Inês played last night and her improvement. Everyone was contributing to this theme, until...
Why do we as fans feel the need to rain on someone's parade? :(

Reaction Score
I think Wooden was "be quick, but don't hurry."
608C7614-B93B-450C-BB0F-D7D0BA28B201.jpeg

Reaction Score
As did Nika, Aubrey, Lou....i.e., the players are all human.
Not like her. Please rewatch and you will see what I am talking about. She is nowhere near the defender of any of the players you named. Why would her defense be at that level?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Based on who's coming next year I'm not so sure about what her role will be going forward.........my hope is that KK Arnold is going to be a high-impact cross between Crystal and Moriah.........time will tell.......
The question about KK is can she be an effective scorer shooting the ball less than 15 times a game? In high school she appears to be a high-volume shooter. That won't happen her first season at UConn. Also, I think Ines will show improvement enough to warrant meaningful playing time next season.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Not like her. Please rewatch and you will see what I am talking about. She is nowhere near the defender of any of the players you named. Why would her defense be at that level?
Why would you expect it to be?

Reaction Score
This "was" a very nice thread that HuskyNan started to show how Inês played last night and her improvement. Everyone was contributing to this theme, until...
Why do we as fans feel the need to rain on someone's parade? :(
I don't consider my comment to be anything other than what I am seeing with her. I said several times that she has talent, skill and a basketball head out there and that we needed her. I'm also not saying that she won't improve because she has with each game. UCONN's switching defense is a thing of basketball beauty. You don't learn it in a few months. If anyone thinks that her defense is as good as Nika's or Aubrey's they are entitled to their opinion but they are wrong.

She is a freshman rerouted from junior college in Florida to play college basketball here at the highest level against players sometimes 4 years older than her. Her poise, disposition and joy being on this team is very evident and highly commendable. I also think that her defense will catch up to her offense with more game experience.

Reaction Score
The question about KK is can she be an effective scorer shooting the ball less than 15 times a game? In high school she appears to be a high-volume shooter. That won't happen her first season at UConn. Also, I think Ines will show improvement enough to warrant meaningful playing time next season.
I think she's a bit of a streaky shooter but is being forced to shoot more often than normal as the key scorer on her team.....as such she faces all kinds of defenses trying to stop her........she's got an improving three-point shot, the ability to break down her defenders plus she's going to be the fastest player down the court on fast breaks.........how much playing time she'll get with two stars and the heart and soul of the team ahead of her is anyone's guess.......

Reaction Score
Never said she was. Everyone makes mistakes.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think she's a bit of a streaky shooter but is being forced to shoot more often than normal as the key scorer on her team.....as such she faces all kinds of defenses trying to stop her........she's got an improving three-point shot, the ability to break down her defenders plus she's going to be the fastest player down the court on fast breaks.........how much playing time she'll get with two stars and the heart and soul of the team ahead of her is anyone's guess.......
Not sure she’s taken enough shot attempts to call her streaky?

C4B95CC2-AA7D-4981-A22F-970172E6FC6A.jpeg

Reaction Score
I’ve been really impressed with how well Ines is improving from game to game. I like her demeanor - she’s very poised, even when being pressed, and never seems to be out of control. Years ago, Geno said, “Be quick, don’t be fast”, meaning move quickly but under control and with purpose. To me, Ines is showing quickness. Her offense is rounding into shape nicely.

I think Ines is a diamond in the rough who’s shining a little sooner than expected due to the injuries. Great pickup by Geno & Co.
I like her adaptability/ versatility.. She looks comfortable at the off-ball/2-guard as well.. That will play well going forward.. Can't have too many good shooters and ball-handlers; her combo here is a precious commodity..

Reaction Score
Never said she was. Everyone makes mistakes.
Agree. She is still learning. UCONN switching on man to man defense is the state of the art when executed as designed.

This has to be a whole new world for her. I give her a lot of credit to have the courage to come here. You are seeing fits and starts in her game at times but the overall level is a steady incline. Defense will be the last piece of the puzzle but it is coming. Wait until the Famous February metamorphosis of the team by the Maestro.

Reaction Score
Not sure she’s taken enough shot attempts to call her streaky?

View attachment 82757
I was referring to KK Arnold's high school play...........I assume Ines is going to be competing against her for limited court time next year if Paige and Azzi are finally 100%........KK will bring quickness and flat-out end-to-end court speed that no other UConn player can match other than perhaps Aubrey...........

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I was referring to KK Arnold's high school play...........I assume Ines is going to be competing against her for limited court time next year if Paige and Azzi are finally 100%........KK will bring quickness and flat-out end-to-end court speed that no other UConn player can match other than perhaps Aubrey...........
Yes, but she’ll be a freshman. She could need a year to feel comfortable in a new system while going through the normal stuff all college freshmen have to adapt to.

Reaction Score
I’ve been really impressed with how well Ines is improving from game to game. I like her demeanor - she’s very poised, even when being pressed, and never seems to be out of control. Years ago, Geno said, “Be quick, don’t be fast”, meaning move quickly but under control and with purpose. To me, Ines is showing quickness. Her offense is rounding into shape nicely.

I think Ines is a diamond in the rough who’s shining a little sooner than expected due to the injuries. Great pickup by Geno & Co.
I agree. And she would not have been given this exposure if we hadn't gotten to such a short bench via injury. But she looks like a quality point guard....still moving a bit too fast for the game...but gaining confidence. Hitting that three at the buzzer was great. But she has emerged as someone we can use to give Muhl a breather, and lose very little. That is a huge surprise, and a great compliment to whoever scouted and signed her. It is time, now, for theater healthy freshman to emerge as more than a brawler.

Reaction Score
KK will be fine. It's not like she's a shooting egomaniac. She's the best shooter on her HS team and she's doing her job. She is also a creator. Love her penetration skills.

I'm fine with Ines playing more especially right now. She looks better after the last few games though partly because we were playing Xavier and Butler, two of our least competitive teams. She will get more flustered against top teams still probably right? I think she's quick, athletic, skilled and mainly just needs more experience.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I agree. And she would not have been given this exposure if we hadn't gotten to such a short bench via injury. But she looks like a quality point guard....still moving a bit too fast for the game...but gaining confidence. Hitting that three at the buzzer was great. But she has emerged as someone we can use to give Muhl a breather, and lose very little. That is a huge surprise, and a great compliment to whoever scouted and signed her. It is time, now, for theater healthy freshman to emerge as more than a brawler.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom