The Huskies are back this weekend | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Huskies are back this weekend

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Paige Bueckers is more dangerous now than at any other time in her life. why?????

She is healthier than at any other time. She's the beneficiary of three years of working out continuously in UConn's weight room under the watchful eye of their trainer. She has matured. Paige will be 22 before the season begins (October 20, 2001) She's not a wide-eyed 18-year-old freshman looking to learn the system and her new teammates. She's not worried about impressing Geno either. She's already done that. This is her team and she knows that. More than anything else, Paige wants to win a championship this year. This is her 4th year in WCBB. She absolutely knows what it's going to take to do it.

She'll be one of the older players on the court for UConn this year. She knows exactly what Geno wants. She's like a coach on the floor. She'll be patient, read the floor, and won't make unforced rookie/freshman mistakes. She'll make good/timely passes to teammates when they are warranted/available, and she'll take her own shots when warranted and available. She's not going to force anything, she doesn't have to. Too many other good shooters on the floor with her. With Paige back at the wheel, team turnovers will go down this year. ;)

Paige's M.O. this year......... give up a good shot for a great shot, especially if one of our players is being double-teamed. Death by a thousand paper cuts. :cool: Don't try to win the game in the 1st quarter. Her teammates will follow her lead. Scoring points this year will not be a challenge for UConn. Keeping opponents under control defensively will. THAT'S what I want to see. How dominant will UConn be on the defensive end of the floor? :eek: UConn is going to be a lot of fun to watch this year. :D

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score

Wow!!! looks like somebody created a monster. :eek: This is something fans of all ages can get into.........including me. Wouldn't you like to have a bracelet from your favorite UConn player? I see endless NIL opportunities here. :)

Reaction Score
Most of the off-season talk has been about individual players, either coming off injuries, playing summer ball or potential starters. What I am looking forward to seeing is the synergy of all this talent finally being on the court together. The starters Carnac listed are four seniors/grads and a junior. Ducharme can be included in that group. While some of them have missed playing time due to injury they still have been practicing together for several years and in the case of Bueckers & Fudd, since early in high school. Geno doesn't have to teach those five the system. They know each other and they know all their opponents. They even know all the refs and their "peculiarities". There is little for Geno to do with their offense so I expect there will be a lot of practice time spent on defense.
Defense is mostly anticipation and effort, along with teamwork. They have the effort part down. The fine points are what will make them a great defense. How good UConn is on defense may be up to the bench because great defense burns large quantities of energy. Geno has a wonderfully talented bench this year, along with some question marks but if only half of them live up to their promise UConn will be awesome.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Most of the off-season talk has been about individual players, either coming off injuries, playing summer ball or potential starters. What I am looking forward to seeing is the synergy of all this talent finally being on the court together. The starters Carnac listed are four seniors/grads and a junior. Ducharme can be included in that group. While some of them have missed playing time due to injury they still have been practicing together for several years and in the case of Bueckers & Fudd, since early in high school. Geno doesn't have to teach those five the system. They know each other and they know all their opponents. They even know all the refs and their "peculiarities". There is little for Geno to do with their offense so I expect there will be a lot of practice time spent on defense.
Defense is mostly anticipation and effort, along with teamwork. They have the effort part down. The fine points are what will make them a great defense. How good UConn is on defense may be up to the bench because great defense burns large quantities of energy. Geno has a wonderfully talented bench this year, along with some question marks but if only half of them live up to their promise UConn will be awesome.
I would not be surprised or disappointed if Ducharme is in the starting lineup that first game. Geno is going to start the 5 that work/play best together. Not necessarily the best scorers. We don't know who that's going to be yet. I've already gone on record as to who the "locks" are to start......Paige, Azzi, and Aaliyah.

There are (IMO) 4 other players Geno could very easily fill those other two spots with. I have no preference for who starts. I'm more concerned with who finishes, how they finish, and did we win!!! Geno may start one player over another because of her ability to play better defense than another player who may be more gifted offensively. The unit as a whole may be better with the player that's slightly better defensively.

We know the players that start in November are not necessarily the players that will start in March. Starting lineups can be fluid. I will not argue or debate anyone's starting lineup. You like who you like. We'll have to wait 4 more months to see who Geno sends out there to start that first game in November.

Next week we get our first game from Croatia. Lots of fodder to chew on after that game. We should see plenty of the freshmen as some of the returnees are still recovering from surgical and minor medical procedures over the summer, and may not be cleared or ready to play. I doubt we'll see Paige play. She said earlier this summer that she was reluctant to play in August, and preferred to wait until November.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Numbers mean nothing to me. All I know is the NOW, and the fact is that no basketball is now. It might as well be a year or a decade or a millenium. I NEED THE SEASON TO START.
I know what you mean. Me too. In the meantime, I fill the time with WNBA games and NFL games, both of which are on Thursday evening.

Reaction Score
I’m literally drooling in anticipation at this point.
Just being able to watch a healthy ( knock on wood) Paige Buckets do her thing again is worth the price of admission by itself.
When you add in all the rest of the stories of the returning veterans, throw in the potential stars among the newbies, you have quite the explosive cocktail.
I firmly believe that if they can stay healthy, Geno & his coaches will steer them back to The Promised Land.
Got my Fox Sports app, my ESPN, my YouTube all ready to go.
Cry Havoc ! And let slip the dogs ( Huskies) of war!

Carnac

Reaction Score
Numbers mean nothing to me. All I know is the NOW, and the fact is that no basketball is now. It might as well be a year or a decade or a millenium. I NEED THE SEASON TO START.
BONE DOG!!!! Climb down off that chandelier. We'll have UConn WBB next week. It's not like what we'll have beginning in November, but it's better than "the nothing" we have now. Patience my friend....patience. :)

Reaction Score
Wow!!! looks like somebody created a monster. :eek: This is something fans of all ages can get into.........including me. Wouldn't you like to have a bracelet from your favorite UConn player? I see endless NIL opportunities here. :)
Why not collect all 14?

Reaction Score
IMG_1535.jpeg

Carnac

Reaction Score
Why not collect all 14?
You’re right!!! Why not all 14? Somebody should seize this business opportunity (NIL) for the players, and make sets of 14 team UConn bracelets and market them. I’d buy a set. I would display them in my home office right next to my shrine for Geno. :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom