The Hungriest Husky | The Boneyard

The Hungriest Husky

Reaction Score
I've been thinking a lot about the makeup of this new team, and how things are slowly but surely shaping up before the season kicks off. I consider myself a millennial Uconn fan, 27 years old, became a fan after the 99' ship, became a die-hard fan after the 04' ship. With that said I can't remember being more excited for a season to kick off.

I think the majority of the excitement comes from the notion that this team, (collectively & individually), has something to prove and redeem from last season's results/adversity. Naturally this is going to create some seriously hungry players, players with a "boulder on their shoulders," not a chip (Ollie's words).

So I pose this question: Who's going to be the hungriest husky?

Obviously the players all have the collective goal of proving the naysayers wrong and winning the whole thing; which is/should be the Uconn state-of-mind regardless. But within this foundation each individual player has their own story, made up of different types of adversity that give them that extra drive to succeed. I'd like to focus on Jalen, Alterique, Terry, KW, Cobb, Sid, & Mamadou. Feel free to throw out another name but personally these seem to be on another level...

JA: Has come a long way already but everyone knows he wants to cement his name into Uconn lore. Although individually he had a great last season statistically, the quality/quantity of his supporting cast had to have been extremely frustrating for him. Anyone who's personally been an elite player on a team of average joe's that can't seem to string wins together knows the feeling. Not to mention he'll need to show something a little extra this year as the NBA is on the immediate horizon.

AG: The forgotten ***** All-American. Must be difficult to have everyone sing your praises growing up as an elite talent, and then when it matters the most you have nagging shoulder injuries that are essentially out of your hands. Has yet to be given the full opportunity to showcase his skill & athleticism on a national level.

TL: The king of patience. Terry might get my vote on this, as he's had to sit out not 1, but essentially 2 full seasons. It's one thing if you're a scrub, but this guy's obviously a very gifted player & just like Jalen the NBA is on the immediate horizon.

KW: Aside from wanting to show off his super-human athleticism, he's had academic issues that left a speed bump in his basketball career where he didn't know what his immediate future would bring. Rather than deciding to play overseas, he's been given a second chance to play college ball.

EC: The more I learn about him the more I absolutely love this kid. Might be my runner-up for this, as he seems like a great kid who's taken complete ownership over his issues with the law. Had to endure watching what he could have been apart of with South Carolina's Cinderella story in the tournament this past season. Sounds like he has a lot to prove and play for this season.

Sid the Kid: Assuming he gets to play this season, I feel that alone will humble him and spark so much gratefulness it will transition onto the court. Obviously he recently lost his mother so that gives him something personal/emotional to play for. There's a slight logjam at the SF position so the competition during practices will create some extra hunger for minutes.

MD: Of course just like TL and AG had to sit out all of last season due to nagging knee complications. Was a top 100 player coming out of HS so I'm sure he badly wants to showcase his motor & rebounding abilities, and prove what he could've brought the team last year.

Aside from who actually is the hungriest, if that's even a thing, just the thought of how many players on this team have that extra incentive to prove/redeem themselves is scary. If they put it all together and feed off of each other's hunger the sky's the limit.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Jalen, but he'll obviously need buy in from everyone else.

Reaction Score
I've been thinking a lot about the makeup of this new team, and how things are slowly but surely shaping up before the season kicks off. I consider myself a millennial Uconn fan, 27 years old, became a fan after the 99' ship, became a die-hard fan after the 04' ship. With that said I can't remember being more excited for a season to kick off.

I think the majority of the excitement comes from the notion that this team, (collectively & individually), has something to prove and redeem from last season's results/adversity. Naturally this is going to create some seriously hungry players, players with a "boulder on their shoulders," not a chip (Ollie's words).

Obviously the players all have the collective goal of proving the naysayers wrong and winning the whole thing; which is/should be the Uconn state-of-mind regardless. But within this foundation each individual player has their own story, made up of different types of adversity that give them that extra drive to succeed. I'd like to focus on Jalen, Alterique, Terry, KW, Cobb, Sid, & Mamadou. Feel free to throw out another name but personally these seem to be on another level...

JA: Has come a long way already but everyone knows he wants to cement his name into Uconn lore. Although individually he had a great last season statistically, the quality/quantity of his supporting cast had to have been extremely frustrating for him. Anyone who's personally been an elite player on a team of average joe's that can't seem to string wins together knows the feeling. Not to mention he'll need to show something a little extra this year as the NBA is on the immediate horizon.

AG: The forgotten ***** All-American. Must be difficult to have everyone sing your praises growing up as an elite talent, and then when it matters the most you have nagging shoulder injuries that are essentially out of your hands. Has yet to be given the full opportunity to showcase his skill & athleticism on a national level.

TL: The king of patience. Terry might get my vote on this, as he's had to sit out not 1, but essentially 2 full seasons. It's one thing if you're a scrub, but this guy's obviously a very gifted player & just like Jalen the NBA is on the immediate horizon.

KW: Aside from wanting to show off his super-human athleticism, he's had academic issues that left a speed bump in his basketball career where he didn't know what his immediate future would bring. Rather than deciding to play overseas, he's been given a second chance to play college ball.

EC: The more I learn about him the more I absolutely love this kid. Might be my runner-up for this, as he seems like a great kid who's taken complete ownership over his issues with the law. Had to endure watching what he could have been apart of with South Carolina's Cinderella story in the tournament this past season. Sounds like he has a lot to prove and play for this season.

Sid the Kid: Assuming he gets to play this season, I feel that alone will humble him and spark so much gratefulness it will transition onto the court. Obviously he recently lost his mother so that gives him something personal/emotional to play for. There's a slight logjam at the SF position so the competition during practices will create some extra hunger for minutes.

MD: Of course just like TL and AG had to sit out all of last season due to nagging knee complications. Was a top 100 player coming out of HS so I'm sure he badly wants to showcase his motor & rebounding abilities, and prove what he could've brought the team last year.

Aside from who actually is the hungriest, if that's even a thing, just the thought of how many players on this team have that extra incentive to prove/redeem themselves is scary. If they put it all together and feed off of each other's hunger the sky's the limit.
Scrappy, is that you?

Reaction Score
Curious as to how SNIPERCV1 isnt included on this list? I think he feels disrespected by everyone not to be included in the JA and AG category. He is so scrappy I think he feels he has the most to prove as he obviously dreams of making it to the league yet isn't expected to start on a team coming off a losing season.

Kwinton Williams hasn't played organized basketball since 8th grade (saw this on the yard at some point). I have ZERO faith in him at this point. Classic freak athletic with no feel for how the game is played.

Ill take Antoine Anderson as well. I feel really good about our guard play with JA and AG starting and then off the bench AA and CV1.

Reaction Score
Curious as to how SNIPERCV1 isnt included on this list? I think he feels disrespected by everyone not to be included in the JA and AG category. He is so scrappy I think he feels he has the most to prove as he obviously dreams of making it to the league yet isn't expected to start on a team coming off a losing season.

Kwinton Williams hasn't played organized basketball since 8th grade (saw this on the yard at some point). I have ZERO faith in him at this point. Classic freak athletic with no feel for how the game is played.

Ill take Antoine Anderson as well. I feel really good about our guard play with JA and AG starting and then off the bench AA and CV1.

KW played a year of JUCO and averaged something like 18 and 8. What on God's green earth are you talking about?

Reaction Score
I think CV will be the Hungry Husky. Adams will probably have the best season and is the best player, but CV is starving. He's going to be diving on the floor, getting steals, big rebounds in traffic and knocking down big threes when we need them. There is something about him. Go Huskies and go CV!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Kwinton Williams hasn't played organized basketball since 8th grade (saw this on the yard at some point). I have ZERO faith in him at this point. Classic freak athletic with no feel for how the game is played

That ain't true. Averaged 18 and 8 at Pima CC.

Reaction Score
My vote for the hungriest Huskie has to go to Christian Vital
The kid played his heart out last year and by year end became our best shooter.
But it seems many Huskie Fans have relegated him to the dust heap for the coming season.
This kids a New Yorker with a chip on his shoulder and hungry to prove he belongs.
I look for him to be the hardest worker on the team.

Reaction Score

You forgot one man who may be hungrier than all of them and have even more to prove KO. They say teams take on the personality of their coach and KO just seems extra hungry these days

Reaction Score
I think CV will be the Hungry Husky. Adams will probably have the best season and is the best player, but CV is starving. He's going to be diving on the floor, getting steals, big rebounds in traffic and knocking down big threes when we need them. There is something about him. Go Huskies and go CV!

Hopefully no concussions though!!!

Reaction Score
Granted Williams is a big question mark but I would think it would be impossible to give a player a scholarship if he had not played organized basketball since 8th grade. I wonder if that has ever happened anywhere (besides token scholarships for another purpose).

Reaction Score
I'm not sure who the hungriest is or whatever (Probably JA), but i am stoked to see 'Rique get to play this year. Him and JA are going to be nasty

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

HUNGRY!!

Love this. Looking around the landscape for any and all bulletin board material.

By the time the season starts, the chip on their shoulder is gonna be so big they won't be able to not win a championship haha

Attitude coming out of the program is as motivated, hard, and hungry as it's seemed in a long time. Please, please translate on the court

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom