The hardest jobs in college football: Coaches, ADs and agents on Miami, Vanderbilt, Kansas, UMass, Michigan and more (The Athletic) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The hardest jobs in college football: Coaches, ADs and agents on Miami, Vanderbilt, Kansas, UMass, Michigan and more (The Athletic)

Reaction Score
Interestingly UConn may have gotten the most votes.. but UMass got more first place votes. I wonder if this is a case where UConn's greater name recognition (an asset) actually hurt them in this kind of poll.
Maybe. It’s possible they just thought UConn is harder because of expectations. No one expects UMass to win anything in football or basketball. UMass is like URI on the national scene.

Reaction Score
Nicole Auerbach has always cast UConn in a negative light ever since her days with ESPN.
As to the notion that the administration doesn't care about supporting the football program: This is why the Announcement by Governor Lamont is so important. It's past time to rebut that narrative. Publicly announcing that the State will find the money to pay for a qualified head coach will result in attraction of better candidates.
Note to Nickie A.: Maybe yo should have done your fact checking with Pete Thamel & the national consultant group that UConn hired before before writing that drivel.
The Athletic is another site that hates UConn. I had a subscription to them, but never renewed. If I want to hear anti UConn crap, I'd visit The Day's website and read BCIdiot's (BCGenius) blog.

Nickie A. must be either: 1) BCidiot insane personality, 2) Dating BCIdiot, 3) BCIdiot when he's thinks he's a female or 4) a MORON!

Reaction Score

-> The Athletic polled more than 60 people working in college football to find out. Turns out, “hard” is … a hard word to define.

“What makes a good job a good job is commitment, support, tradition, but nothing is more important than access to players,” one Group of 5 head coach said. “There are just some places where you just don’t have it that have been historically good places and it’s just harder to recruit than people think it is.”

A Power 5 athletic director summed up high expectations: “There are places with so much history that are so far away from touching that again. They may never touch it again.” But that doesn’t mean those programs are ready to wave a white flag. <-

HARDEST POWER 5 JOBS (Top 2):

Vanderbilt

First-place votes: 10

Kansas

First-place votes: 5

HARDEST GROUP OF 5/IND JOBS (Top 2)

UConn

First-place votes: 6

-> UConn earned the most votes of any school. Its trajectory has not been promising after going independent. This year, the Huskies are 0-7 and already playing under an interim coach, Lou Spanos

A Power 5 assistant told The Athletic he sees an administration that “clearly doesn’t care” about the program.

“UConn guys talk about how that school really doesn’t do much for that football program. Well, if you’re not gonna support the program, it’s not gonna become what it ultimately could become. It’s crazy that they were in the Fiesta Bowl just 10 years ago,” another Power 5 assistant said.

Talent acquisition is also a losing battle for the Huskies.
“Northeast football has probably only four or five FBS players there a year — one goes to Notre Dame, one to BC, maybe some fringe kids stay,” said a Power 5 assistant coach.<-

UMass

First-place votes: 11

I guess that P5 assistant coach is NOT APPLYING for the job! As I said, UConn can be the best team in the Northeast - the Northeast being NY, PA, DE, NJ along with New England.

Now, one thing high schools in FL is way bigger than Connecticut high schools. Even the Elementary Schools here are bigger than some high schools in Connecticut. Also Hillsborough County School District is bigger than 1/3 of Rhode Island.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I honestly thought CT would produce more good HS players once FBS UConn got up and running. That was a big miss.

Reaction Score
This cable platform cuts both ways.

The negative exposure of seeing incompetent play may hurt recruiting of players not wanting to play for a perceived losing program. On the other hand, the opportunities for playing may sway any recruits or portal players, and the clips of the campus during commercial breaks may appeal to far away players wanting a change of scenery.

Reaction Score
I don’t understand how people say that the school doesn’t do much to help the program. We just paid Noel Mazzone 2500 a week to be a consultant here.

Reaction Score
And CBS Sports does a much better job than ESPN.
Said this in the game chat. Their production and announcing teams are better than any ESPN game we had over the last couple of years. If we can become decent/good i have a feeling that we can develop a good relationship.

Reaction Score
In a world where perception is as important as reality
UConn leaving the top G5 football conference was perceived by many as a panic step to save the only sport it cared about and pretty much an abandonment of football.
Whether it’s true or not isn’t relevant.
Once it’s out there it makes it that much harder to get a real good candidate.

Last edited:

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Said this in the game chat. Their production and announcing teams are better than any ESPN game we had over the last couple of years. If we can become decent/good i have a feeling that we can develop a good relationship.
Thats been one of the more surprising impacts of going independent...you always assume ESPN has the best crews and broadcasts...nope. CBSSN has been much better.

Reaction Score
Interestingly UConn may have gotten the most votes.. but UMass got more first place votes. I wonder if this is a case where UConn's greater name recognition (an asset) actually hurt them in this kind of poll.
It's indefensible regardless. UConn pays better than most G5 schools, and it has a 40k-seat stadium 15 minutes from an airport, which is why they're having so much success scheduling P5 schools. They also have P5-level facilities. People are just picking them because they suck ass right now and also because national college football writers are mostly nitwits who are offended that UConn smartly prioritized basketball over football. You can safely ignore nonsense like this, especially when filled with blind quotes.

Reaction Score
I am surprised that no one seized upon the phrase "an administration that clearly doesn't care". That pretty much sums it up in a nutshell. They care about BB, not about FB. Full stop.
In fact for several years they have made it pretty clear that they care ONLY about basketball. Indeed they were willing to sell out successful programs to give basketball what they wanted, even if it is kind of dumb. There have been people internal to the AD who have actively undermined other programs. Not necessarily Top administrators, but more “middle management”.

Reaction Score
In fact for several years they have made it pretty clear that they care ONLY about basketball. Indeed they were willing to sell out successful programs to give basketball what they wanted, even if it is kind of dumb. There have been people internal to the AD who have actively undermined other programs. Not necessarily Top administrators, but more “middle management”.

Yes, we should have stayed in this conference. You are very smart.

Reaction Score
The "deep state" theory. It has some truth. I blogged on UConn hockey for 25+ years. UConn had to be dragged kicking and screaming into HE by Gov. Malloy. They never would have done it on their own. People would have gotten to Suzie Lax and killed it. HE knew that and exploited BC's connection w an influential alum ... the Guv.

Reaction Score
You are absolutely right, Dick. Hockey East was all but begging them to come aboard for several years, but there was always opposition from within. Funny thing was Geno and the women were huge fans and would regularly be seen at the games. Calhoun would be there occasionally, too. But there is an odd view among a number of people who view it as a zero sum game. Success of another program means basketball Gets overshadowed somehow. Don’t know if it is true, but I have been told the HEA move was made by Malloy’s office who merely informed the University it would happen and be at the press conference which was already scheduled. He knew if it was left up to them it would be undermined for any number of reasons.

Reaction Score
You are absolutely right, Dick. Hockey East was all but begging them to come aboard for several years, but there was always opposition from within. Funny thing was Geno and the women were huge fans and would regularly be seen at the games. Calhoun would be there occasionally, too. But there is an odd view among a number of people who view it as a zero sum game. Success of another program means basketball Gets overshadowed somehow. Don’t know if it is true, but I have been told the HEA move was made by Malloy’s office who merely informed the University it would happen and be at the press conference which was already scheduled. He knew if it was left up to them it would be undermined for any number of reasons.
Can the governor even do that? Seems suspect.

Reaction Score
Cannot tell you how many times I saw the Women at games at Freitas. And Shea was dating a hockey player I think. HCRE 1.0 lots of times as well. I think Corey was in youth hockey at the time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Can the governor even do that? Seems suspect.
You betcha. Said he would support it. Wanted it. The Speaker of the House came on board. That idea had ZERO traction until Malloy pushed hard for it and got it done. I lost a little local election by 35 votes to a ten term incumbent due to Malloy headwinds. But in my mind he did some great stuff and I won't criticize him. I mean this in a totally non-political sense. The idea to go bigtime in hockey had been out there for decades and going nowhere fast until he came along.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom