The guy who broke the story: | The Boneyard

The guy who broke the story:

Reaction Score
For those who never set foot in the Conference Realignment board, I'd like to acknowledge, before too much time goes by, Boneyarder uconngb, who gave this board the head's up on what might be coming back on June 12. In addition to basically nailing the story and when it would break, uconngb posted his information knowing he'd be doubted (or worse) by those of us who hoped the Huskies were destined for the ACC or B1G rather than the Big East. For those who might have missed it, here's what was posted:

"I know I'll get crucified for this thread, but just passing along something I heard today, because it came from a very credible source. Largest private donor at Providence, directly involved in their athletic department and knows Tranghese well (who he says UConn hired as a consultant at some point) says he's 95%+ sure that UConn will be joining the NBE in 2021. Says the school gave Herbst the authority to do it on her way out the door, football will be killed so the next President doesn't have to deal with it and we'll move to the NBE. I couldn't believe it as I've heard nothing as specific about it, but this is a credible, connected guy.

All pile on now.... "

Reaction Score
One reason I am uncomfortable about the status of UConn FB moving forward is uconngb's statement that Herbst was given "the authority to do it on her way out" and that "football will be killed so the next President doesn't have to deal with it..."

Maybe uconngb's source is wrong about the football part, but that does make me suspect that maybe there is a plan to ultimately drop football or relegate it to the FCS ranks.

Reaction Score
One reason I am uncomfortable about the status of UConn FB moving forward is uconngb's statement that Herbst was given "the authority to do it on her way out" and that "football will be killed so the next President doesn't have to deal with it..."

Maybe uconngb's source is wrong about the football part, but that does make me suspect that maybe there is a plan to ultimately drop football or relegate it to the FCS ranks.
Impossible given the goals of the school. This move was done, ironically, due to finances. (AAC vs Big East/independence.) The "kill football" talk comes from a man who's school has no football program. Did Georgetown and Villanova "kill" their programs? No.

Reaction Score
Well he appears to be dead wrong about football getting "killed" so he only gets 75% credit.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
@ metsfan2323 In fairness, it took four years for my mother-in-law to pass away after the doctors told her she had terminal cancer. On the other hand, yes, one can find cases of "miracle cures" as well. Time will tell about that other 25%. Meanwhile, I plan to enjoy the games as I slowly reconcile myself to the new reality.

Reaction Score
I replied..."Yeah right"....Oh well.

My response was pretty dismissive as well when I saw it a few days after it was posted. I remembered it, however, when I first read about the digital-sports-desk piece on Sunday night.

Reaction Score
Great job uconngb.

Unfortunately, most times we have to sift through the wannabe insider garbage to find something. Now he’s pathetically trying to take credit.

His whole blaze strategy was shot to pieces. At least we don’t need to hear that carp anymore.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Yes kudos to @uconngb who first brought details, and also to @Kmart who first said good news coming all basketball fans will be happy.

I thought they were both full of sheeet and thought it was the wrong move if true. But I think the immediate impact is positive and hopefully it carries over and works out longterm for football and all sports really. Have to be on the right side of the inevitable divide (whether it’s real or monetary).

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

Unless there is a bombshell announcement prior to August 1, it doesn't seem as if football is getting killed just yet.

The new president Tom Katsouleas (sp.) might have been involved in this decision. He pledged that we would continue to have a football team, so by getting rid of it now, they sort of make a liar out of him. Not really, because he didn't seem to personally do it, but I don't think they'd want to put him in the position of starting his tenure being questioned about whether he already knew about this when he had his PC and whether or not he told a deliberate lie. If that becomes the case, then our current athlectic and school administration are the scum of the earth, making this poor guy take the blame for it. I'd really not want to think that, so I'll give the current folks the benefit of the doubt between now and August 1.

Hopefully, we can also take some solace in the fact that the six year, 30 million dollar exit fee would suggest there's a contemplation from both sides that we might, at the very least, still be playing football by the year 2025. My guess is it's perhaps tantamount to a probationary period or a sort of referendum on the program as an Independent. The success or failure of it during that time will likely dictate its long term future. Hopefully President Katsouleas can make good on his pledge and football may continue well into the future.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Publicly, I think he beats Chief by a week.

All Chief can say at the moment is that there are some outstanding recruits in the Northeast the next couple of years and rather than looking at the micro specifics right now of each player - look for a major paradigm shift to change the conversation. At that time, Chief will do some player specific deep dives.

Reaction Score
They are killing it. They just don’t want to admit it yet.

So you really think there is a secret plan to drop football? I highly doubt it. I think rock bottom would be a return to FCS which would reduce 44 scholarships (22 men 22 women) but hopefully it doesn't get to that point. The people who don't think we would play FCS at the Rent seem to have forgotten that the most entertaining game played at the Rent last year was vs Rhode Island.

Reaction Score
So you really think there is a secret plan to drop football? I highly doubt it. I think rock bottom would be a return to FCS which would reduce 44 scholarships (22 men 22 women) but hopefully it doesn't get to that point. The people who don't think we would play FCS at the Rent seem to have forgotten that the most entertaining game played at the Rent last year was vs Rhode Island.
Football will be just fine.

Reaction Score
Well he appears to be dead wrong about football getting "killed" so he only gets 75% credit.
Unless kill didn’t mean dismantle entirely but kill as in sacrifice it’s security in a conference for the greater good - it COULD wind up dead eventually.

Reaction Score
The FB program is a dead man walking, so yes, they have killed football at UConn. The only thing that hasn't happened yet is the burial ceremony which is scheduled to happen shortly after the 2025 season.

Reaction Score
For those who never set foot in the Conference Realignment board, I'd like to acknowledge, before too much time goes by, Boneyarder uconngb, who gave this board the head's up on what might be coming back on June 12. In addition to basically nailing the story and when it would break, uconngb posted his information knowing he'd be doubted (or worse) by those of us who hoped the Huskies were destined for the ACC or B1G rather than the Big East. For those who might have missed it, here's what was posted:

"I know I'll get crucified for this thread, but just passing along something I heard today, because it came from a very credible source. Largest private donor at Providence, directly involved in their athletic department and knows Tranghese well (who he says UConn hired as a consultant at some point) says he's 95%+ sure that UConn will be joining the NBE in 2021. Says the school gave Herbst the authority to do it on her way out the door, football will be killed so the next President doesn't have to deal with it and we'll move to the NBE. I couldn't believe it as I've heard nothing as specific about it, but this is a credible, connected guy.

All pile on now.... "

This story was DEAD ON BALLS ACCURATE. Independence is a charade.

Benedict NEVER HAD A PLAN (for FB) because he didn’t need one, as the Providence source clearly stated.

It’s all been a work. Orlavsky was right. He’s a shmuck. It’s just amazing to me that Benedict wasn’t more discreet. The emperor really didn’t have any clothes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Benedict NEVER HAD A PLAN (for FB) because he didn’t need one, as the Providence source clearly stated.

It’s all been a work. Orlavsky was right. He’s a shmuck. It’s just amazing to me that Benedict wasn’t more discreet. The emperor really didn’t have any clothes.

To date very few schools have dropped football outright and I highly doubt UCONN is actively planning on being the next school to drop it.....but keep planning for the worst and you will never be disappointed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

All that I can can conclude is the entire group of them, be it Benedict, Herbst, Ritter and BoT, are non-transparent and unworthy of being trusted with respect to Football until proven otherwise. You know darn well “committed to football” is coy doublespeak and not the same being as committed to FBS football.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom