The Guru: Geno and EDD together at last | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Guru: Geno and EDD together at last

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This thread was also about the USA WBB. Sorry that it did not remain on course to your liking.

I think it will be interesting to see if EDD and BG develop enough to be on the team. BG was hampered by injuries and is still adjusting to the speed of the WNBA, which I think accounts for a lot of her foul trouble. EDD had a great season but was fairly ineffective in the second half of each playoff game, providing little offensive support to her team.

I would love to see Geno get to work with both.

After all this time you still don't get our sense of humor!:)

Reaction Score
Even before her injury, Griner hadn't been a standout in the pros.
It takes time to adjust to the pros, each at their own pace. She still had a great regular season. We'll see what happens when it's all said and done.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Griner didn't develop her body strength enough in College to be an immediate impact player in the WNBA. She regularly got pushed around and outside her comfort zone and that limited her effectiveness. She's great defensively because she can use her quickness and natural abilities, but not offensively when there is a body on her. In the off season, she's got to work on her body strength if she's ever going to be the Dominant player that many predicted.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
She needs less pushing off on her skateboard and more pushing weights in the gym.

Reaction Score
She needs less pushing off on her skateboard and more pushing weights in the gym.

While that may be true, strength isn't just a matter of hard work. I think some people just don't have the genetic makeup to develop strength beyond a certain point. I've always thought this was the situation for Griner. Sims on the other hand, has enough natural strength for herself plus Griner.

Another player I see having strength issues is Mercedes Russell. We'll see how she develops.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
While that may be true, strength isn't just a matter of hard work. I think some people just don't have the genetic makeup to develop strength beyond a certain point. I've always thought this was the situation for Griner. Sims on the other hand, has enough natural strength for herself plus Griner.

Another player I see having strength issues is Mercedes Russell. We'll see how she develops.

Yes, very true. It can, however, always be improved with strength and technique. I think Griner can improve both of those. One thing that works against BG in taking a position in the post is her low body mass. It gives a player like Heather Buck who has great leg strength the ability to move BG off the block using lower body strength to lift BG and then move her out. You cannot hold position when players raise you from the floor. There is no grip in air.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Even before her injury, Griner hadn't been a standout in the pros.
It takes time to adjust to the pros, each at their own pace. She still had a great regular season. We'll see what happens when it's all said and done.

Though the statisticians among us may demonstrate differently, I think your "great regular season" is too rosy a review. She had a good rookie season marred by injury. One of the things she was adjusting to was the pace of the WNBA. She learned she had to bust her butt and I admire her for rising to that challenge. She, herself, has acknowledged that that was in no small part due to the example DT set with her pushing on every play. Recently asked about that relationship, BG said (close paraphrase): "I rely on D for everything." I think it takes maturity and grace to acknowledge something like that. Been pleasantly surprised by BG.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score

Yeah, genetics and physiology just seem to indicate that trying to push BG to become a mountain in any way would be the wrong way to go, and almost certainly would be detrimental and make her more susceptible to injury. She is what she is, a tall bean pole with incredible wingspan that is pretty unique to the WNBA and should be used for all the freakishly great advantages it can bestow. Sure, she'll be shoved around in the paint with her frame, but she can still adapt to spin off, wear down opponents with speed and movement, and do things that maybe no other player will be able to do for the next three years in the league.

Strengthening the muscles, sure maybe a bit more. But trying (futilely) to bulk up, definitely a bad idea.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yeah, genetics and physiology just seem to indicate that trying to push BG to become a mountain in any way would be the wrong way to go, and almost certainly would be detrimental and make her more susceptible to injury. She is what she is, a tall bean pole with incredible wingspan that is pretty unique to the WNBA and should be used for all the freakishly great advantages it can bestow. Sure, she'll be shoved around in the paint with her frame, but she can still adapt to spin off, wear down opponents with speed and movement, and do things that maybe no other player will be able to do for the next three years in the league.

Strengthening the muscles, sure maybe a bit more. But trying (futilely) to bulk up, definitely a bad idea.

I am talking building her lower body strength and technique not adding meaningless mass high on her frame. When one is built like BG one must have a very solid platform with leg strength and must know how to stop opponents from getting beneath you to leverage you out.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I am talking building her lower body strength and technique not adding meaningless mass high on her frame. When one is built like BG one must have a very solid platform with leg strength and must know how to stop opponents from getting beneath you to leverage you out.
Ice, wherever you're talking about, I just don't think it's possible to do much for BG with strength or muscle adding techniques. She just does not have the frame for it, and I doubt that you can do more than add an incremental amount of strength to the legs. These players are pretty much all already very fit, and BG is certainly no slouch. Studies have shown that when you try to force athletes to do "good" training that they are not adapted for, they actually have worse performances. Have her do vertical leaping exercises, heavy side-stepping routines, spin exercise, etc. to increase speed and dexterity, but my opinion is that heavy weight training anywhere for BG is not the way to go.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I understand what you are saying I just think there is room to add strength and certainly technique. It does not need to be heavy weights training but I would include some, especially, in the off season.

Reaction Score
Wilt the Stilt Chamberlain was a bean pole, but later in his long career he weighted over 300 lbs. BG can certainly add some weight and strength to her frame.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I understand what you are saying I just think there is room to add strength and certainly technique. It does not need to be heavy weights training but I would include some, especially, in the off season.
What off season!

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Wilt the Stilt Chamberlain was a bean pole, but later in his long career he weighted over 300 lbs. BG can certainly add some weight and strength to her frame.
Um, so Wilt was a skinny bean pole like say Manute Bol? Pictures of him I've seen early on show a long tall guy with already very muscular arms and legs that look well able to pack on the pounds. I knew Manute (at least I watched him), and Wilt you're no Manute. Plus Wilt weighed 250 as a rookie and ended his career around 275 lbs., not 300. If he ever got to that weight, it was when he was retired and packing a paunch. Adding 25 lbs for a 14 year career that ended at age 37 is not that big a swing. Maybe Griner will go from 207 to 232 soon, but I doubt it.

rise_chamberlain_in_200.jpg

Look, we can all point to our exception that proves the rule that all people can do the same thing no matter how completely different they are, but we should at least stick to an example of the same gender. You may have noticed that men and women have some physical differences, and I think that there is at least some probability that BG has a certain genetic condition that from studies indicates that her current frame is pretty well set.

But, hey if Stewie hits the weight room this fall and next year is shouldering fellow Husky Tina and other Olympians out of the way with her buff 300 lb body, I'll concede your point.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
True. Off season would be during the WNBA, the other jobs pay.
What? I'm sure Candace would not be making $3 million off her Gatorade and adidas contracts if she wasn't one of the main faces of the WNBA. As for just about all of the rest, it's time to ruble.

Reaction Score
Wilt was over 300 lbs when he played with the Lakers. And you are comparing him to Manute Bol, not I. If you don't know for sure then you should not be saying that Griner has a genetic condition. You are really bending some stats/facts/opinions to support your position. All I am say and others is that she can add more strength.

Reaction Score
Is it a surprise that Baylor won their only championship the year after Geno worked with Britney.

Reaction Score
Though the statisticians among us may demonstrate differently, I think your "great regular season" is too rosy a review. She had a good rookie season marred by injury. One of the things she was adjusting to was the pace of the WNBA. She learned she had to bust her butt and I admire her for rising to that challenge. She, herself, has acknowledged that that was in no small part due to the example DT set with her pushing on every play. Recently asked about that relationship, BG said (close paraphrase): "I rely on D for everything." I think it takes maturity and grace to acknowledge something like that. Been pleasantly surprised by BG.
Good point. Maybe decent is more like it.
Glad she's learning and has someone like Taurasi to help her!

Reaction Score
This is awesome news. Just from watching EDD's games at Delaware (thanks technology) over the last couple of years, I would always wonder about what could have been if she was able to stay at UConn. But she is a wonderfully talented lady. 6'5" and can handle the point, shoot the 3, decent footwork. And play some decent defense. Oh my goodness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom