The Guardian on UCONN | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Guardian on UCONN

Reaction Score
The scouts disagree

I disagree too. She's dynamite as a defender, rebounder, winner of 50-50 balls, and as a finisher off missed shots, not to mention running the break. They'll want her in the W for all these reasons.

What she isn't great at is ball handling. Yes, she can dribble -- that's not the problem. But she doesn't have the vision of a guard for what to do with the ball, and this means she often picks up her dribble at the wrong moment. And there are lots of players in the W who lack this talent.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
respectfully disagree, with Griffin’s lack of ability to finish around the rim its hard to see her playing professionally. Just my opinion
She's an outstanding athlete. She will play professionally somewhere if she wants to. Probably hard for her to make a WNBA roster just because there are so few slots available. There's no doubt in my mind though that at least a team or two will take a hard look at her.

Reaction Score
Everyone who writes or talks sports wants to be the first to call something a dynasty, or to say it is over, or to pronounce someone a generational player. This article would never be written if we had Paige full time the last 3 years, had Azzi and Caroline without injury, perhaps had Dorka in the NC game 2 years ago, etc.

I do think that the reasons why the idea of a run of NCs is so difficult now are three fold. First, the talent at the high school level has exploded. There are so many very good to great players now and they all can't go to UCONN, Stanford and SC. Second, the two headed monster of NIL and the portal means that money talks now in the college game, not simply wanting an NC or wanting to improve and become W ready. Look what LSU did last year. Was that even possible without the two headed monster? No, because Angel Reese would have sat out last year if she transferred and other players would not have been there. Third, the coaching talent has increased exponentially. The salaries are significant now, the women's game in general is more in the national consciousness than ever before, and that is only going to be heightened this year, especially with Paige and CC. If Iowa plays UCONN in the Big Dance by some contrived deus ex machina of the bracket, the TV ratings will be off the charts.
Absolutely agree. Now if we can get many of the BYers to understand these points we won't have to read so many posts bemoaning a 2-3-4 loss NC.

Reaction Score
If Iowa plays UCONN in the Big Dance by some contrived deus ex machina of the bracket, the TV ratings will be off the charts.
Yup. Paige already beat Caitlin once, and Azzi beat her last season. Maybe Caitlin is due for a victory... or not.

Reaction Score
Yup. Paige already beat Caitlin once, and Azzi beat her last season. Maybe Caitlin is due for a victory... or not.
Either way, it will be one of those events people will not miss. I have friends of mine who played men's D! years ago who used to stick their noses up at women's basketball, declaring it as unwatchable. Now they are talking to me about Paige and Caitlin, watching every game. If you think for one moment that the NCAA Seeding Committee is going to not do everything it can to make that game happen, then I have a bridge for sale for you in lower Manhattan.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I think you are entitled to your opinion even when I think you are wrong. I never coached girls/boys or women/men. I coached athletes. Geno and the staff does that better than I could. You make subtle changes for each athlete, not by gender but by need. I'm certainly in Hudy's camp. I've certainly had to deal with parents that felt their sweat little daughters should not ever be in a weight room. Yes they should be. They are athletes and need strength and fitness.
The GOAT TB would probably disagree

Reaction Score
She's an outstanding athlete. She will play professionally somewhere if she wants to. Probably hard for her to make a WNBA roster just because there are so few slots available. There's no doubt in my mind though that at least a team or two will take a hard look at her.
No doubt she is tremendously athletic and strong defensively. If she does get to the pros, possibly somebody can coach her up to make some of these layups that she consistently misses. I hope it works out as she seems to be a really great young person.

Reaction Score
HAVE to agree that she's a great athlete, HOWEVER, that athleticism has to acquire a repeatable jump shot, one that requires focused practice. Once accomplished she would be an all-around WNBA performer.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No doubt she is tremendously athletic and strong defensively. If she does get to the pros, possibly somebody can coach her up to make some of these layups that she consistently misses. I hope it works out as she seems to be a really great young person.
1702571237433.png

I hope it works out for her as well. I think she'll end up playing professionally somewhere. Whether or not it'll be in the WNBA, we shall see.

For what it's worth, the book on her, crazy athletic but questionable shooter, is essentially the same as Andre Jackson. He's making a living in the NBA right now and is a favorite.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom