The Guardian on UCONN | The Boneyard

The Guardian on UCONN

Reaction Score
It is a positive that Geno acknowledged the adversity this year knocked him down a little, maybe a little defeated. The good news is if you realize that you have a chance to right the ship and make the comeback which really might not start until they get into conference. Playing tough schedules is great if you are a team that needs to be sharpened but is a killer when you are trying to develop a team. No matter how many losses they have early they will make the tournament in March and have a chance to win 6 in a row.

Reaction Score
Poorly written article by a guy who doesn't know much about the UConn women's basketball program. He claims that UConn has "stockpiled" great players. In fact, Connecticut has had a chronically weak bench compared with other top programs for many years. One year that Connecticut won the NC with Maya Moore and Tina Charles, just six players got into the NC game. That was because we had so few solid players that year. Just doesn't know much about UConn, but figured he'd churn something out.

Reaction Score
Hudy needs to quit training these young growing women like they are grown men. If you read her books, she elevated her thoughts since she left UConn the first time and believes in training women the same as men. You can say all you want, but I believe the amount of work these ladies are required to do are causing some to bend and break. Yes, some already came in with injuries..if someone comes in as a diabetic, they need special treatment, right? So maybe Fudds knee needed a different way to train. Hudy, step into Genos office!

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Poorly written article by a guy who doesn't know much about the UConn women's basketball program. He claims that UConn has "stockpiled" great players. In fact, Connecticut has had a chronically weak bench compared with other top programs for many years. One year that Connecticut won the NC with Maya Moore and Tina Charles, just six players got into the NC game. That was because we had so few solid players that year. Just doesn't know much about UConn, but figured he'd churn something out.
? The roster that year consisted of Moore, Charles, K. Greene, Doty, T. Hayes, Faris, McClaren, Gardler and Dixon. Each one played significant minutes throughout the year, each one was important to winning at least one challenging game (eg, Gardler v Rutgers, Dixon v UNC). That’s five WNBA players, another who would have been sans injury and the best passing center we’ve had.

We only scored 12 points in the first half against Stanford, a huge anomaly that was a far greater factor in limiting the rotation than a “chronically weak bench.“ Indeed, if our bench was chronically weak and the starters had to carry such a load throughout the year, perhaps they don’t have enough for that second half push and turnaround.

Though I agree that the writer has mischaracterized and misdiagnosed the program.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Hudy needs to quit training these young growing women like they are grown men. If you read her books, she elevated her thoughts since she left UConn the first time and believes in training women the same as men. You can say all you want, but I believe the amount of work these ladies are required to do are causing some to bend and break. Yes, some already came in with injuries..if someone comes in as a diabetic, they need special treatment, right? So maybe Fudds knee needed a different way to train. Hudy, step into Genos office!

Reaction Score
The referenced article misses the bigger point in my mind in that the landscape of WBB has changed significantly. Perhaps the real question is will there ever be another UConn-like dynasty? I personally don't believe so. That is not a knock on any program, just a statement of what I believe is fact. The women's game is moving closer and closer to the men's game in that not only is it becoming really difficult to win back-to-back titles, but how hard is it to win say 5 in ten years or 7 in 12? We aren't going to see that again. That's no one's fault and Geno has said on multiple occasions that he welcomes it.

One last point: In sports, how is a dynasty defined? Any number you come up with is completely arbitrary and subjective. This is a never ending argument so why engage?

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Or perhaps a platoon…
Or a plattune.

IMG_1412.jpeg

Reaction Score
I think you are entitled to your opinion even when I think you are wrong. I never coached girls/boys or women/men. I coached athletes. Geno and the staff does that better than I could. You make subtle changes for each athlete, not by gender but by need. I'm certainly in Hudy's camp. I've certainly had to deal with parents that felt their sweat little daughters should not ever be in a weight room. Yes they should be. They are athletes and need strength and fitness.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Connecticut has had a chronically weak bench compared with other top programs for many years. One year that Connecticut won the NC with Maya Moore and Tina Charles, just six players got into the NC game.
I completely agree with @diggerfoot 's refutation of your statements about the 2009 team. But I also question your statement that other top programs have had stronger benches than UConn. What other school has sent multiple bench players on to multi-year WNBA careers (e.g., Kiah Stokes and Azura Stevens)? I actually can't think of anyone from another program who even made it to the WNBA without ever being a starter on her college team.

I think Aubrey Griffin will become another UConn bench player who will make it to the WNBA, and have a multi-year career in that league.

Reaction Score
I completely agree with @diggerfoot 's refutation of your statements about the 2009 team. But I also question your statement that other top programs have had stronger benches than UConn. What other school has sent multiple bench players on to multi-year WNBA careers (e.g., Kiah Stokes and Azura Stevens)? I actually can't think of anyone from another program who even made it to the WNBA without ever being a starter on her college team.

I think Aubrey Griffin will become another UConn bench player who will make it to the WNBA, and have a multi-year career in that league.
respectfully disagree, with Griffin’s lack of ability to finish around the rim its hard to see her playing professionally. Just my opinion

Reaction Score
? The roster that year consisted of Moore, Charles, K. Greene, Doty, T. Hayes, Faris, McClaren, Gardler and Dixon. Each one played significant minutes throughout the year, each one was important to winning at least one challenging game (eg, Gardler v Rutgers, Dixon v UNC). That’s five WNBA players, another who would have been sans injury and the best passing center we’ve had.

We only scored 12 points in the first half against Stanford, a huge anomaly that was a far greater factor in limiting the rotation than a “chronically weak bench.“ Indeed, if our bench was chronically weak and the starters had to carry such a load throughout the year, perhaps they don’t have enough for that second half push and turnaround.

Though I agree that the writer has mischaracterized and misdiagnosed the program.

Wait, that's a starting five of Tina Charles, Maya Moore, Kalana Greene, Tiffany Hayes. Those are excellent players. But then Kelly Faris, who was a strong defensive player who played some in the WNBA. But then....? Caroline Doty had been badly injured and never returned to form. Kaili McClaren was hardly a major force underneath. Megan Gardler played some good minutes her senior year, but could not be considered a great talent that UConn had been "stockpiling." Dixon? So that is a great starting two of Moore and Charles. And two very good next two in Hayes and Greene. Not stockpiling. Compare that team with the bench, i.e., stockpiling, by South Carolina this year. Or UCLA. Or Stanford. That team had two of the all-time greats, but no bench to speak of. And that's my point.

Reaction Score
The referenced article misses the bigger point in my mind in that the landscape of WBB has changed significantly. Perhaps the real question is will there ever be another UConn-like dynasty? I personally don't believe so. That is not a knock on any program, just a statement of what I believe is fact. The women's game is moving closer and closer to the men's game in that not only is it becoming really difficult to win back-to-back titles, but how hard is it to win say 5 in ten years or 7 in 12? We aren't going to see that again. That's no one's fault and Geno has said on multiple occasions that he welcomes it.

One last point: In sports, how is a dynasty defined? Any number you come up with is completely arbitrary and subjective. This is a never ending argument so why engage?
Everyone who writes or talks sports wants to be the first to call something a dynasty, or to say it is over, or to pronounce someone a generational player. This article would never be written if we had Paige full time the last 3 years, had Azzi and Caroline without injury, perhaps had Dorka in the NC game 2 years ago, etc.

I do think that the reasons why the idea of a run of NCs is so difficult now are three fold. First, the talent at the high school level has exploded. There are so many very good to great players now and they all can't go to UCONN, Stanford and SC. Second, the two headed monster of NIL and the portal means that money talks now in the college game, not simply wanting an NC or wanting to improve and become W ready. Look what LSU did last year. Was that even possible without the two headed monster? No, because Angel Reese would have sat out last year if she transferred and other players would not have been there. Third, the coaching talent has increased exponentially. The salaries are significant now, the women's game in general is more in the national consciousness than ever before, and that is only going to be heightened this year, especially with Paige and CC. If Iowa plays UCONN in the Big Dance by some contrived deus ex machina of the bracket, the TV ratings will be off the charts.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Wait, that's a starting five of Tina Charles, Maya Moore, Kalana Greene, Tiffany Hayes. Those are excellent players. But then Kelly Faris, who was a strong defensive player who played some in the WNBA. But then....? Caroline Doty had been badly injured and never returned to form. Kaili McClaren was hardly a major force underneath. Megan Gardler played some good minutes her senior year, but could not be considered a great talent that UConn had been "stockpiling." Dixon? So that is a great starting two of Moore and Charles. And two very good next two in Hayes and Greene. Not stockpiling. Compare that team with the bench, i.e., stockpiling, by South Carolina this year. Or UCLA. Or Stanford. That team had two of the all-time greats, but no bench to speak of. And that's my point.
Um, ”stockpiling” was the term used by the writer you criticized, and I have my own criticisms for that writer.

You, however, used the phrase “chronically weak bench.” Besides the ignominy of manipulating the discourse and changing the goal post. for the sake of never having to concede a point, that point is wrong. Same can be said for now using the term “major force.” Though subjective as well, it has a different connotation than “chronically weak.”

In addition to the five starters or strongest players (depending on how you want to categorize Doty), the bench consisted of Doty, McLaren, Gardler and Dixon. Each of them proved their worth with a quality performance and quantity minutes against at least one major opponent (eg, Dixon v UNC). I won’t exhaustively document their contributions, since anyone who “knows the program” knows they were not “weak” players for us, whether or not they might be considered a “major force.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom