The Grinch's Pet Peeves | The Boneyard

The Grinch's Pet Peeves

Reaction Score
We have experienced an extremely consequential off-season with one UConn arrival and two departures, coaches changes, transfers, and the moving back of the 3-point line among other things, but we now appear to be in a relatively slow time between seasons and this represents an opportunity for some Boneyard thoughts. I have been reading the Boneyard for over three years and posted the first of some 37 messages on March 10, 2020. I check the site regularly for news on UConn women’s basketball and for opinion about it and find a great deal of interest. Nevertheless, I have a few pet peeves.

First, it is frustrating when the conversation moves off the original thread. If the thread is interesting and worthwhile to read, as most are, it becomes progressively less interesting, however, when someone takes a comment or aside from a previous message and goes off on a tangent. Once it loses focus, the thread often does not regain it and moves rapidly to irrelevance.

Second, I find short messages that do not say anything of a substantive nature to be of little value.

Third, criticism over typos and when someone gets a name wrong (something that becomes more frequent with age) is not necessary. Most of us understand that it is easy to use the wrong word (all numbers look correct, for example), Spellcheck is not infallible, and we need to be gracious when such errors occur. It does bother me, however, when someone types loose instead of lose.

Fourth, many excellent commentators use abbreviation or nicknames too often. Granted if you don’t know who Maya or Sue is, you haven’t been following UConn basketball that long, but still it would be easier if the first time someone is mentioned in a post that the person is identified clearly so that there can be no confusion. The Grinch sometimes has difficulty in remembering all the CDs, although knows that Caroline Ducharme equals Caroline Ducharme.

Fifth, we need to stop measuring the best of the best by the number of national championships won while that player was on the team. My opinion is that Moriah Jefferson was the 4th best point guard in UConn history following Sue Bird, Jen Rizzotti, and Renee Montgomery. There is room for debate to be sure, but it should not be based on the number of national championships, for by this standard Maria Conlon was superior to Sue Bird.

Sixth, we need to be more understanding of the stresses of playing college basketball at UConn with a huge target on your back every game. Some players do not live up to our expectations for them and we should remember that they are still kids. We have no idea of the pressures they endure or put upon themselves, let alone the immense difficulties of trying to play this past season with the constant concern that your next game may not be played due to coronavirus striking someone associated with the team or that of an opponent. In addition, think about the difficulties encountered by the players when they cannot see their families, although social media can help reduce these stresses.

Seventh, it is not uncommon for links to be provided to articles that are hidden behind newspaper paywalls to which most Boneyarders lack access. “Fair use” allows those who can read them to summarize contents andprovide a succinct quote or two. The Grinch encourages that this practice be pursued.

Finally, so as not to end on a sour note, thanks to those posters who provide access to interviews like the ones of Geno Auriemma appearing before the Middlesex County Chamber of Commerce in March and his interview with AP reporter Doug Feinberg at tournament time, not to mention those of players at summer practice.

We follow women’s basketball for love of seeing the game played the way it should be played and as a pleasurable escape from the travails of daily life. Long live the Boneyard!

Reaction Score
In regards to number 5-- imo you are taking the wrong take. MoJeff is highly regarded ahead of some of the others not because she won 4 titles but because she was "that good." I think she gets underrated because she played with Stewie. IMO she is 1st or 2nd.

Her defense was off the charts.
Her assists to turnovers evolved to become tremendous.
Her shooting efficiency evolved to become tremendous.
And in her junior and senior years she could score.
She should've been Final Four MVP one season.

Supreme defense, tremendous passing, tremendous shooting efficiency, and can score adds up to either 1 or 2. And she gets knocked because she played with Stewie and she didn't have as much "swagger" (which can be sort of a code word for personal preference) as some of the others? Nah-- she's 1 or 2.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In regards to number 5-- imo you are taking the wrong take. MoJeff is highly regarded ahead of some of the others not because she won 4 titles but because she was "that good." I think she gets underrated because she played with Stewie. IMO she is 1st or 2nd.

Her defense was off the charts.
Her assists to turnovers evolved to become tremendous.
Her shooting efficiency evolved to become tremendous.
And in her junior and senior years she could score.
She should've been Final Four MVP one season.

Supreme defense, tremendous passing, tremendous shooting efficiency, and can score adds up to either 1 or 2. And she gets knocked because she played with Stewie and she didn't have as much "swagger" (which can be sort of a code word for personal preference) as some of the others? Nah-- she's 1 or 2.
Or maybe 3 if we include a certain rising sophomore on the list……

Reaction Score
But what about the starting lineup? Any thoughts Grinch?

Reaction Score
“Sixth, we need to be more understanding of the stresses of playing college basketball at UConn with a huge target on your back every game. Some players do not live up to our expectations for them and we should remember that they are still kids. We have no idea of the pressures they endure or put upon themselves, let alone the immense difficulties of trying to play this past season with the constant concern that your next game may not be played due to coronavirus striking someone associated with the team or that of an opponent. In addition, think about the difficulties encountered by the players when they cannot see their families, although social media can help reduce these stresses.”

Why? I’m not interacting with them or their families personally. This is social media; personally, I think it would be a major improvement simply if people were nicer to other posters!

But, as you said, they’re your pet peeves, and you (obviously) have every right to them.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Oh good, another grievance thread.

The Boneyard has been here 30 years. It is what it is. It’s not going to change for grinches or anyone else so if it’s not living up to expectations, time to look for another board.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Who will be the leading scorer next year?
5DDF4F11-495D-4789-A247-D3FCBECD6693.jpeg

Reaction Score
Regarding your point "Third": while I try to give the writer a break per your assertion, nor would I typically interject corrections, I cannot help but devalue a post with mechanical writing errors including the ones you dismiss.

Regarding your point "First": my biggest pet peeve is left lane hogs!

Regarding your point "Second": uh...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Oh we have “rules” now? Lol
Pssst….

Reaction Score
The Grinch's observations are his or her opinion. One can agree or disagree. Characterizing them as "terrible" is absurd.
While I agree that characterizing someone else's observations as "terrible" might be a little harsh, it's still that person's opinion which they are entitled to just like "The Grinch".

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The Grinch's observations are his or her opinion. One can agree or disagree. Characterizing them as "terrible" is absurd.
I would disagree with you on that. Some of those takes were absolutely terrible. (especially the Jefferson one)

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Damn, I sure wish it was November 14th and we were all waiting for tip off. My early Prognostication for the game is UConn 95 - Arkansas 72. ;)
Please, lets not expand on that

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom