The Grinch's Pet Peeves | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Grinch's Pet Peeves

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Oh good, another grievance
My inner peever has been dormant lately.
Maine was spared Henri, great blackberry season,
woke up on the right side of the grass this morning.
Alternator died on the way to the repair shop to replace the rack and pinion doohickey. Stuff wears out, gets fixed or replaced.
Life is pretty good.

Ok, I'll confess that I vibrate—lexically—when I see dominate used as an adjective, when someone clearly means dominant.

In the grand scheme of things, that and other petty gripes are just dust. I prefer enjoying the good company and interesting conversations here to giving more than a passing glance at the minor annoyances.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Alternator died on the way to the repair shop to replace the rack and pinion doohickey. Stuff wears out, gets fixed or replaced.
Life is pretty good.

Ok, I'll confess that I vibrate—lexically—when I see dominate used as an adjective, when someone clearly means dominant.

In the grand scheme of things, that and other petty gripes are just dust. I prefer enjoying the good company and interesting conversations here to giving more than a passing glance at the minor annoyances.
Too bad about the car, happy about the blackberries and the right side of the grass. Lexically, my reaction to "dominate" as a descriptor is more akin to apoplexy than quavering. I have noticed that more and more things rise to the level of annoyance over the last few years, minor or otherwise. Go Huskies!

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Since this thread is about the Grinch’s pet peeves, let me just add, “It came without ribbons. It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes or bags.”
I truly appreciate the Grinch quote. Just lends context to the whole peevish proscription. :cool:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Damn, I sure wish it was November 14th and we were all waiting for tip off. My early Prognostication for the game is UConn 95 - Arkansas 72. ;)
I think UConn starts off on the right foot with this game. The outcome will be completely different this time. This might even turn into a "statement" game. This is a "pay-back" game. Pay back games always involve more energy, focus and resolve. The game may not be THAT close. :cool:

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Life is pretty good.

Sifaka, you know as well as I do that collectively, all of us have various degrees of command of the English language. That's not going to change. All of us were NOT English majors in college. Bad language or grammatical errors are a fact of life on any board (Lord knows I've made/make my share).

When I read a comment, that contains errors or miscues, it doesn't bother me. Posters are doing the best they can. Roll with the punches. I'm ALWAYS more interested in the gist of a comment, than its grammatical correctness. Live and let live. It will lower your blood pressure. ;)

That said, BfromCT does raise some good points, i.e., Fourth, many excellent commentators use abbreviation or nicknames too often. Granted if you don’t know who Maya or Sue is, you haven’t been following UConn basketball that long, but still it would be easier if the first time someone is mentioned in a post that the person is identified clearly so that there can be no confusion.

Visitors or newbies to the yard may not know who is referenced by the initials. I've read several comment that contained initials that left me in the dark. I had not idea who the OP was referencing. Don't assume everyone knows who you're referring to. Using their first and last names (for clarity) would be preferable. I try and never use initials for that reason. I don't want to lose anyone along the way.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sifaka, you know as well as I do that collectively, all of us have various degrees of command of the English language. That's not going to change. All of us were NOT English majors in college. Bad language or grammatical errors are a fact of life on any board (Lord knows I've made/make my share).

When I read a comment, that contains errors or miscues, it doesn't bother me. Posters are doing the best they can. Roll with the punches. I'm ALWAYS more interested in the gist of a comment, than its grammatical correctness. Live and let live. It will lower your blood pressure. ;)

That said, BfromCT does raise some good points, i.e., Fourth, many excellent commentators use abbreviation or nicknames too often. Granted if you don’t know who Maya or Sue is, you haven’t been following UConn basketball that long, but still it would be easier if the first time someone is mentioned in a post that the person is identified clearly so that there can be no confusion.

Visitors or newbies to the yard may not know who is referenced by the initials. I've read several comment that contained initials that left me in the dark. I had not idea who the OP was referencing. Don't assume everyone knows who you're referring to. Using their first and last names (for clarity) would be preferable. I try and never use initials for that reason. I don't want to lose anyone along the way.
I'm always surprised at how many people here are on a first name basis with people they've never met.

Reaction Score
I'm always surprised at how many people here are on a first name basis with people they've never met.
How do you know it's his first name? A sifaka is a lemur found on Madagascar.

I guess to be safe and correct we could say "User _____", unless their user name is Joe. Don't know what else to call them. Just don't say "Hey Joe, whadda ya know?"

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I think UConn starts off on the right foot with this game. The outcome will be completely different this time. This might even turn into a "statement" game. This is a "pay-back" game. Pay back games always involve more energy, focus and resolve. The game may not be THAT close. :cool:
Also if God is willing it will be in front of the fans, which should also energize the young ladies even more. Maybe I should rethink my prognostication. Heck, I have until 10 minutes before tip-off to change my mind. :D

Reaction Score
How do you know it's his first name? A sifaka is a lemur found on Madagascar.

I guess to be safe and correct we could say "User _____", unless their user name is Joe. Don't know what else to call them. Just don't say "Hey Joe, whadda ya know?"
I'm talking about posters who are on a first name basis with players and coaches they've never met.

Reaction Score
meyers7 is just being his "Grinch like" self...........perhaps he's extra cranky after watching last weekend's Arsenal game.....:).

Reaction Score
How do the deer know they’re supposed to cross the highway at those Deer X-ing signs?

There are people taking horse deworming pills to prevent COVID. And we are concerned about spelling in the BY? That’s my pet peeve du jour.

Reaction Score
How do the deer know they’re supposed to cross the highway at those Deer X-ing signs?

There are people taking horse deworming pills to prevent COVID. And we are concerned about spelling in the BY? That’s my pet peeve du jour.
About those deer signs. Many years ago (about 30 or so), folks, me included, had a sheet or two of those little red/orange florescent sticky dots for marking files and such in our glove compartments. There were literally thousands of those deer signs throughout California, and every single one had a little red "rudolph" nose.

And not for anything, anyone taking a horse deworming pill for any reason whatsoever needs to be put out to pasture at the old horse's home. But then, maybe they already are. I would have thought that eating Tide Pods would have made folks immune to almost anything. I suppose that if eating horse pills and Tide Pods kills you, then immunity is pretty much guaranteed.

Reaction Score
Hmmm ... Pet peeve ... Ah yes dog hair can get anywhere! Shoe box in rear of a closet a dog has never entered and it can contain dog hair.
Over, under and in between just about any crevice in the house a dogs hair will find it. Dog love makes up for the inconvenience though. ;)

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Sometimes I think you make up words. :rolleyes: ;)
I found this really neat book that is just full of words. The web site refers to it as a reference book, and further specifies that it is a dictionary. Fun reading and nearly unlimited information. I looked that up and it is called "unabridged". I can send a link if you require one. ;):eek::confused::rolleyes: Go Huskies and doo wop forever!

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Sometimes I think you make up words. :rolleyes: ;)Edit

Bama fan is a gentleman of many talents, among which is unabated neologism. Thus we forgive his occasional lapses into erudition.

Neologist

Etymology​

Back-formation from neologism. Compare French néologiste.

Noun​

neologist (plural neologists)

1. One who coins a new word or new words
————————

Proscription

noun

1. The art of stating, in thundering voice, “Thou shalt NOT!”

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Yeah I agree with every post in this thread, BUT can someone PLEASE tell me how many minutes Sailor is going to play next year!?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom