The Good, the..... | The Boneyard

The Good, the.....

Reaction Score
We are all frustrated so lets talk about the positives:

1) Great crowd at the HCC. Been a while an I was impressed with the noise and the timed increase in noise when they needed it. When we got the rebound and threw a pass to CV who spun and finished the place brought me back to the old days. Well done. Hoping they can win some games to keep them coming.

2) We are so much better than the last couple years we were in this game only down 4 at the half despite the guard play being so weak. The fact they play fast, hard, they team rebound and throw the ball out and go they are somewhat fun to watch even when not at their best.

3) Cobb can score the ball and rebound if he could understand rotation on D he'd be a 25-30 minute guy and we'd be better. But I root for him on D to make the right move because I'm impressed with where his UConn career is.

4) Polley hit 2 daggers to keep us in that game and give us a real shot. Those are huge and impressive. The first one off a great dish from AG but the 2nd the most impressive because he wanted it and dribbled in to the defender but got it off in his face drilling it, great sign.

5) Hurley. I love the way he works the sidelines but is it possible the refs do not? I mean with 2 minutes left the Wildcats have only 3 personal fouls and 2 of them were blocks on Jeter (boy he did learn something at Duke huh he can't stand up on D). No matter I feel confident he can get through to these guys soon enough to make a run. More film watching and getting them to be sure they do not need to split double and triple teams with the dribble we'll get better. Frustrated only because we are now competitive and I hate losing. But I sure enjoy watching full games and not being embarrassed.

Reaction Score
speak for yourself, i am not frustrated at all. Dissappointed we lost?? Sure. But the team is better then I expected and i see alot of positive upsides to this team and the program.

Not sure I said anything to disagree about the fact we’re better?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Had some annoying Wildcat fans in front of me on their phones the whole time in 113, but other than that and the refs it was a great crowd.

We had our chances tho I think we had the game won - like to think some of the calls and bounces go our way as the season progresses.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Crowd sounded great on TV from my couch in Jersey. Multiple Big Red chants were loud.

I think you can have realistic expectations (contend for an at large) while also being disappointed and frustrated over a loss that was certainly winnable. Turnovers, losing men on D, and not hitting out FTs are all things we can improve upon. That's what makes it frustrating.

The good part of all of this is that there are
expectations again and oddly it feels good to feel angry after a loss.

C

Chief00

2 out of 3 elite OOC games we have gotten screwed with the officiating. The 3 fouls in the second half with 3 minutes to play in a basically otherwise even game, tells you what you need to know. Meanwhile they are shooting double bonus. Danny needs to figure out the right balance quickly or just win so much you get respect that way. The home crowd needs to hold the refs more accountable too. Playing in the rough old Big East, Jim had the advantage of the refs just letting both teams play - in today’s World it’s whistle city.

Reaction Score
Had some annoying Wildcat fans in front of me on their phones the whole time in 113, but other than that and the refs it was a great crowd.

We had our chances tho I think we had the game won - like to think some of the calls and bounces go our way as the season progresses.
I think I know the people you were talking about. We have our season tickets in 113. Very annoying

Reaction Score
2 out of 3 elite OOC games we have gotten screwed with the officiating. The 3 fouls in the second half with 3 minutes to play in a basically otherwise even game, tells you what you need to know. Meanwhile they are shooting double bonus. Danny needs to figure out the right balance quickly or just win so much you get respect that way. The home crowd needs to hold the refs more accountable too. Playing in the rough old Big East, Jim had the advantage of the refs just letting both teams play - in today’s World it’s whistle city.

No doubt Chief hate to say it but the disrespect from the stripes is obvious. Meant little or nothing against Iowa but yesterday some terrible breaks.

But our guards could have won despite the stripes if they played smarter and better basketball.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I think I know the people you were talking about. We have our season tickets in 113. Very annoying
I was in Row N and they kept giving me nasty looks, I enjoyed it.

Reaction Score
We didn't deserve to win this game, and if we did it would have been a great break but not a great win. AZ was on point, minimizing mistakes and hitting their free throws. We tried, came up short but only have ourselves to blame. First loss in many seasons I was able to accept and move on. Not because we stunk or had the worst roster, but because I really feel we will win some of these close/tested games come January. Hurley has us on the right path.

In a year or two, expectations will soar. Coach is on to something that's great for our school.

Reaction Score

The foul discrepancy was notable, but we weren't doing ourselves any favors by jacking up 3 after 3 after 3. Tough to draw contact that way

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This game came down to a couple of shots either way. At this point, there is not much more you can ask for.

We missed a few runners in the last few minutes. While those are not necessarily automatic shots, winning teams make them and teams that have a lot of moral victories miss them.

The movement on the offense is a lot better. We are getting more easy shots. It is hard to win when your entire offense is long jumpers and 24 foot drives into defenses that are collapsing on you, like we had last year.

Good effort and energy, but there is something just off about the defensive rotations. It is like everyone is a half second late. I don't think the players understand Hurley's defense yet.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We didn't play all that well but we played with energy all game and almost pulled it out. It was a team loss, I think they can move forward from here.

Reaction Score
As noted above, for the most part it was team basketball. Still a little to many one against five basketball, but the last two years that was our whole offense. I love the assists and we are improving and so much more fun to watch. Don't understand why Carlton and Cobb can't have good games together. But love the aggressiveness of Cobb. But for Carlton to play 15 plus minutes and not score or have a rebound is not acceptable. Can't wait to see us in league play.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
But for Carlton to play 15 plus minutes and not score or have a rebound is not acceptable.

I'm gonna toss this one. The refs never really gave him a chance.

Reaction Score
Im not blaming the refs for anything other than that bogus second foul on Carlton.. They weren't that bad.

We over-penetrated, were completely out of control attacking the rim, and got lazy and fell into the 1 on 5 hero ball rut we emphasized the past 2 years. Ended up jacking way too many threes.

I'd say our most glaring issue is high ball screen defense. It's an atrocity.

Reaction Score

Before I comment on your observations,
I would like to say that I enjoy your posts.
Too many times have the refs been a factor.
Come March, this game could loom large.
However, the team showed fight.

Maybe the refs will warm to Danny over time.
On the other hand, some of them won't.
Danny needs to overcome that like Calhoun did.
Surely, he will.

Reaction Score
Im not blaming the refs for anything other than that bogus second foul on Carlton.. They weren't that bad.

We over-penetrated, were completely out of control attacking the rim, and got lazy and fell into the 1 on 5 hero ball rut we emphasized the past 2 years. Ended up jacking way too many threes.

I'd say our most glaring issue is high ball screen defense. It's an atrocity.

What about it is an atrocity?

Hurley has the bigs hard hedge and push the guards back. That in itself isn't a bad thing, but our timing on recoveries, and our switches down lown were not good.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
What about it is an atrocity?

Hurley has the bigs hard hedge and push the guards back. That in itself isn't a bad thing, but our timing on recoveries, and our switches down lown were not good.

thats the atrocity

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I feel like our bigs never get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to “physical play.” Chase Jeter pushes people and jumps over the back for rebounds and it’s “physical play.” Josh Carlton breathes on some one and it’s a foul. Been that way for years. It really shows up vs the Cincys and SMUs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom