The good old days really were just that | The Boneyard

The good old days really were just that

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
As this season ̶d̶r̶a̶w̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶a̶ ̶c̶l̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶ disintegrates, I have found myself watching a lot of videos of the glory years.

I think that this one, from the elite eight at MSG might just be @tcf15 's best work ever. We not only get some great bball action and a thrilling victory, but the pregame hype, Sir Charles making an ass of himself at halftime, then in the post game, ignoring the fact that he'd bee so blatantly and forcefully wrong earler as he sung the praises of Bazz and Boat after the fact. We see KO at his finest, too.

We get to listen to the propaganda machine sing the praises of Payne's exemplary character every time he touches the ball.

I'd forgotten over the past 4 years, how huge Deandre was in that game, and that we'd actually fallen so far behind in the 2nd half.

It also made me wonder if Boat's and Bazz's moms stayed in touch in the years following. They seemed inseparable that season, and especially during the NCAA run. Do they still at least send each other Christmas cards?

Reaction Score
I always used to watch old videos to pump me up before games, a lot of times, I didnt even need the videos. There was a certain feeling in the air that you knew you were going to see an amazing game. 2014 might of been the last time i had goosebumps going to a Uconn game. I was at that Michigan state game and I remember not sitting down the entire game and lost my voice after. I hope we can someday go back to that level of excitement again.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Any old videos of 2004 or 1999?

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score

1:08 mark of the '04 video. All you ever need to know about Mek.
Runs in from the foul line and goes up for the block right handed on the right side of the rim. Opponent adjusts and extends to try a reverse on the left side of the rim instead. On his way down, Mek somehow leans left, extends his left arm and blocks the shot on the opposite side. That block still makes me say "Wow," every time I see it.

That video was put together by Matt Macri. His dad was our mailman at my office in Meriden. Six years later, he got me into a non-standard pool that was basically a pick the final matchup and the winner going into the tourney type deal that someone at the post office ran every year. Won the hole thing. Another good Husky memory.

Last edited:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
1:08 mark of the '04 video. All you ever need to know about Mek.
Runs in from the foul line and goes up for the block right handed on the right side of the rim. Opponent adjusts and extends to try a reverse on the left side of the rim instead. On his way down, Mek somehow leans left, extends his left arm and blocks the shot on the opposite side. That block still makes me say "Wow," every time I see it.

That video was put together by Matt Macri. His dad was our mailman at my office in Meriden. Six years later, he got me into a non-standard pool that was basically a pick the final matchup and the winner going into the tourney type deal that someone at the post office ran every year. Won the hole thing. Another good Husky memory.

Absolutely incredible block.

Very few guys can make that play.

Reaction Score
I love how the 2014 champs made hitting free throws sexy.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I always used to watch old videos to pump me up before games, a lot of times, I didnt even need the videos. There was a certain feeling in the air that you knew you were going to see an amazing game. 2014 might of been the last time i had goosebumps going to a Uconn game. I was at that Michigan state game and I remember not sitting down the entire game and lost my voice after. I hope we can someday go back to that level of excitement again.

There's plenty of fans at many Div 1 schools who never have been to an Elite Eight game never mind a championship and still more who have never had goosebumps at a game unless they were cold.
We have been mildly spoiled here at UConn but some seem to forget that and some wonder why it doesn't happen every year. Unless you are UCLA of the 60's/70's or recent UConn Women's 99% of fans will never see dominance.
I was there also in NYC at the MSU game and yes it fantastic. We were sitting near some Iowa State fans and they could not fathom winning 3 NCAAs, never mind a fourth that was yet to come.
UConn will return to it's winning ways, no matter who coaches and who plays.
It will be a much harder road due to conference alignment and all the issues that come with it
I do watch the old days when I get the chance and it is wonderful to bring back those memories - you always see something you forget or something you just didn't see!!!

the Q

Reaction Score
One of my favorites. The last few minutes of the 2004 final 4 game against Duke. The heart of that team and watching Coach K as they lose are priceless

I remember after Meka missed that front end getting this sick feeling that the Rat Fink was gonna steal this one after 2 completely phantom fouls on Okafor in the first half.

Loved the way the D locked down and the 2 plays that K went nuts over were both clearly not fouls. The first one the defender maintained perfect verticality and then the second was just a clean strip when Reddick tried to plow through a couple defenders.

Reaction Score
I remember after Meka missed that front end getting this sick feeling that the Rat Fink was gonna steal this one after 2 completely phantom fouls on Okafor in the first half.

Loved the way the D locked down and the 2 plays that K went nuts over were both clearly not fouls. The first one the defender maintained perfect verticality and then the second was just a clean strip when Reddick tried to plow through a couple defenders.
Rat's "masterfully" coached teams were throwing up 3s with 10-15 seconds left on the shot clock. I love that the last 3 minutes were not a one or two man show. There were significant contributions from Anderson, Boone, Gordon, Emeka, and Taleik who ran the show. Charlie on the bench shows the crazy depth of that team.

the Q

Reaction Score
Rat's "masterfully" coached teams were throwing up 3s with 10-15 seconds left on the shot clock. I love that the last 3 minutes were not a one or two man show. There were significant contributions from Anderson, Boone, Gordon, Emeka, and Taleik who ran the show. Charlie on the bench shows the crazy depth of that team.

He was phenomenal in the BE tourney with Meka out too.

And as Packer said, he really kept them in the game in that first half without Meka.

But the only reason that team isn't rated higher histrically by all the analysts is:

1) Meka's back
2) the two phantom fouls in the first half on Meka in this game. otherwise they obliterate this tournament field.

Reaction Score
This was one of the best days of my life, all because of @huskies92 / Skinner. Feels like I should thank him every day.

I just hope people remember that everything we say now about the 2014 team would have been true even if we had lost that game. Because most of the time, in sports, you do. If not that game, then to Iowa State or Florida or Kentucky. The 2011 and 2014 teams have caused a lot of us to believe that probability doesn't apply to us. Maybe we're half-right, but as a sports fan I think you can only hope for the chance to have opportunities like that. They usually don't end that way even in the movies.

DAC17

Once upon a time, would never miss a game
Reaction Score
The headline sounds like a thought I've had a number of times. UConn basketball lived in glory days for most of 1990 through 2014, and football from 2004-2010. I'm not trying to be an Eeyore, but I'd be surprised if either team gets back to those levels in the next 10 years. The good news is that we had more really good years than most schools ever have, or will. And don't forget about Geno's teams...

Reaction Score
I am currently in the process of compiling my Top 50 Uconn games, post 1990, and I have 34 at the moment. I am going backwards and I am currently at 1997.

Yes, I do realize some of them are losses but, like the 6OT game, I honestly feel it can not be left off any legit list of great games. I have ideas for the other 16 (all from 1990 to 1997) but some of the regular season games can be hard to find and I will be including the Gtown/Uconn (I think 1995) game soon. But I am open to ideas in regards to what I am missing from the 1990 to 2015 time period.

25 years, 50 great Uconn games. (Up to 34, soon to be 35 with Uconn/gtown).

qrm175.jpg

the Q

Reaction Score
I am currently in the process of compiling my Top 50 Uconn games, post 1990, and I have 34 at the moment. Yes some of them are losses but, like the 6OT game I honestly feel it can not be left off. I have ideas for the other 16 but some of the regular season games can be hard to find and I will be including the Gtown/Uconn (I think 1995) game soon. But I am open to ideas in regards to what I am missing from the 1990 to 2015 time period.

25 years, 50 great Uconn games. (Up to 34, soon to be 35 with Uconn/gtown).

qrm175.jpg

2000 UConn West Virginia Khalid El-Amin Buzzer Beater

Ray vs. AI is the 1996 BE Championship: 1996 Big East Championship Ray Allen Winning Shot

obviously Tate George vs. Clemson has to be on the list. 1990: UConn's Tate George beats Clemson in final seconds

if you're including losses, the 94 NCAA tourney against Florida is about as brutal as it gets.

Reaction Score
I dreamed of winning one championship in the 80s and 90s. Everything after that has been icing on the cake. It used to be almost impossible to imagine.

Reaction Score

if you're including losses, the 94 NCAA tourney against Florida is about as brutal as it gets.

That Florida game is going on as one of the few losses. It was the first real memory I have of Uconn ball, though I watched starting in about 1992.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom