The good old days really were just that | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The good old days really were just that

Reaction Score
Some of those games in 2006 were awesome, Uconn vs Nova.
Also 2009 uconn vs gonzaga was a blast with AJ price

Reaction Score
I am currently in the process of compiling my Top 50 Uconn games, post 1990, and I have 34 at the moment. I am going backwards and I am currently at 1997.

Yes, I do realize some of them are losses but, like the 6OT game, I honestly feel it can not be left off any legit list of great games. I have ideas for the other 16 (all from 1990 to 1997) but some of the regular season games can be hard to find and I will be including the Gtown/Uconn (I think 1995) game soon. But I am open to ideas in regards to what I am missing from the 1990 to 2015 time period.

25 years, 50 great Uconn games. (Up to 34, soon to be 35 with Uconn/gtown).

qrm175.jpg

Khalid winner against Pitt (98?), Denham Brown winner against Gonzaga 2005 in Maui. Upset over #1 Texas in 2010. Shabazz hit a buzzer beater against Nova but I forget which year.

I'd get rid of the 6 OT game. Woof.

Reaction Score
There's plenty of fans at many Div 1 schools who never have been to an Elite Eight game never mind a championship and still more who have never had goosebumps at a game unless they were cold.
We have been mildly spoiled here at UConn but some seem to forget that and some wonder why it doesn't happen every year. Unless you are UCLA of the 60's/70's or recent UConn Women's 99% of fans will never see dominance.
I was there also in NYC at the MSU game and yes it fantastic. We were sitting near some Iowa State fans and they could not fathom winning 3 NCAAs, never mind a fourth that was yet to come.
UConn will return to it's winning ways, no matter who coaches and who plays.
It will be a much harder road due to conference alignment and all the issues that come with it
I do watch the old days when I get the chance and it is wonderful to bring back those memories - you always see something you forget or something you just didn't see!!!
Not sure if we are mildly spoiled or very spoiled. Either way, we finally agree. I too was there for MSU elite eight game and I have said many times it was the best sporting event I ever attended. The Hamilton(cheer) and Cleeves(boo) was classic, as was the game. I even stayed around after by the tunnel and got a picture with Bazz and Kemba's mom, still sporting her UConn jersey. Its funny because I had a recent argument with a Nova fan/friend who was going on and on about Nova's recent epic run. I calmly asked for him to define epic. After all, in the last 5 years, outside of the 1 title, I don't think they have made it past the first weekend. I then said, to me, epic means 4 titles and 5 final fours in 15 years. There is no other way to describe it. That run, those years, were truly epic.

Reaction Score
Khalid winner against Pitt (98?), Denham Brown winner against Gonzaga 2005 in Maui. Upset over #1 Texas in 2010. Shabazz hit a buzzer beater against Nova but I forget which year.

On the flip side, I really thought Denham Brown was going to nail that last shot vs George Mason. I still think we were going to win that game. How did that one escape us?

Reaction Score
I am currently in the process of compiling my Top 50 Uconn games, post 1990, and I have 34 at the moment. I am going backwards and I am currently at 1997.

Yes, I do realize some of them are losses but, like the 6OT game, I honestly feel it can not be left off any legit list of great games. I have ideas for the other 16 (all from 1990 to 1997) but some of the regular season games can be hard to find and I will be including the Gtown/Uconn (I think 1995) game soon. But I am open to ideas in regards to what I am missing from the 1990 to 2015 time period.

qrm175.jpg
If you are including losses but great games played at a high level, the loss to Tyus Edney's UCLA in 1995, that might have been the only other team that could have beaten uconn that year in the tournament. And the 2002 regional final loss to Maryland in the Carrier Dome. Legendary game by Caron Butler. Everything about that game was great except the final score.

Reaction Score
On the flip side, I really thought Denham Brown was going to nail that last shot vs George Mason. I still think we were going to win that game. How did that one escape us?

I was there :(.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
1:08 mark of the '04 video. All you ever need to know about Mek.
Runs in from the foul line and goes up for the block right handed on the right side of the rim. Opponent adjusts and extends to try a reverse on the left side of the rim instead. On his way down, Mek somehow leans left, extends his left arm and blocks the shot on the opposite side. That block still makes me say "Wow," every time I see it.

That video was put together by Matt Macri. His dad was our mailman at my office in Meriden. Six years later, he got me into a non-standard pool that was basically a pick the final matchup and the winner going into the tourney type deal that someone at the post office ran every year. Won the hole thing. Another good Husky memory.
Matt made the best videos back in the day.

Reaction Score

qrm175.jpg

Take a look at two games in Hartford in January of 1990. UConn beat Syracuse and Georgetown back to back. The Civic Center (now XL) was electric. 16,294 was capacity at that time and there were likely more there. Both were wins and they really put us in the national spotlight.
Also look at the Sweet Sixteen win over Clemson at the Meadowlands that year. We couldn't believe the season was about to end. Calhoun, as was his habit, tried to sit on the sixteen point second half lead and Clemson came back. Burrell to George and the rest was history.

Reaction Score

for all Charles' bad mouthing of UConn on the air during that tournament, he got on stage prior to the free Springsteen concert next to the team hotel on Sunday night in Dallas and said UConn would win on Monday night

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
If you are including losses but great games played at a high level, the loss to Tyus Edney's UCLA in 1995, that might have been the only other team that could have beaten uconn that year in the tournament. And the 2002 regional final loss to Maryland in the Carrier Dome. Legendary game by Caron Butler. Everything about that game was great except the final score.

That UCLA game was a track meet. End to end action. Yeah, UCLA might have been the only team able to oust us.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

The bigs got absolutely embarrassed by a bunch of nobodies. No one should’ve been within 20 of that team.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score

Really. We lost that #^^*< game 6 times.

the Q

Reaction Score
That UCLA game was a track meet. End to end action. Yeah, UCLA might have been the only team able to oust us.

what ticks me off most about that is UCLA should not have been there.

but bad coaching 101 by Mizzou cost them.

How do you not turn Tyus Edney and make him go left there?

Reaction Score

I thought it was going in too, it looked good from the broadcast angle.

That team was the anti-Calhoun team in terms of peaking at the right time. Got upset by an average Cuse team to start the BET, was down by double-digits to 16-seed Albany and should have lost to Washington in the Sweet 16; Marcus and Rashad bailed us out big time. That squad was a tad short on toughness and leadership IMO. It also showed the old adage that "you need great guards to win the tournament"; if we had a healthy AJ Price (a true backup PG) we probably cut the nets down that year. Even crazier to think that Bynum should have been on that squad in addition to Price.

the Q

Reaction Score
I thought it was going in too, it looked good from the broadcast angle.

That team was the anti-Calhoun team in terms of peaking at the right time. Got upset by an average Cuse team to start the BET, was down by double-digits to 16-seed Albany and should have lost to Washington in the Sweet 16; Marcus and Rashad bailed us out big time. That squad was a tad short on toughness and leadership IMO. It also showed the old adage that "you need great guards to win the tournament"; if we had a healthy AJ Price (a true backup PG) we probably cut the nets down that year. Even crazier to think that Bynum should have been on that squad in addition to Price.

Definitely lacked toughness.

Absolute scrubs from GM threw them around.

We went through a shortage of toughness for a few years, until Thabeet left. Watching them get thrown around by a short fat kid from San Diego and bums like Suton and a Raymar Morgan who was playing so bad for 2 months that he was getting national attention for it before facing our front line....it was not a great time.

Rosco and AO weren't as talented as Thabeet and Adrien, but they were tougher.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Wake up. The time machine went back too far, to the ‘80s and Perno. No NCAA, no NIT.
2018 is the new 1983

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Wake up. The time machine went back too far, to the ‘80s and Perno. No NCAA, no NIT.
2018 is the new 1983
1979 was a great year. Won a trip to the dance by knocking off a Final 8 team from the year before. The first year of the Big East coming up.

Reaction Score
Rosco and AO weren't as talented as Thabeet and Adrien, but they were tougher.

Your memory is shot. Nobody was tougher than Jeff Adrien. If toughness was an issue, especially in the loss to GM, it sure as hell wasn't because of Jeff Adrien, who single handedly kept UConn in that game. I think he had 17 pts off the bench as a freshman. Confirmed. And he led them with 7 rebounds in 25 minutes.

the Q

Reaction Score
Your memory is shot. Nobody was tougher than Jeff Adrien. If toughness was an issue, especially in the loss to GM, it sure as hell wasn't because of Jeff Adrien, who single handedly kept UConn in that game. I think he had 17 pts off the bench as a freshman. Confirmed. And he led them with 7 rebounds in 25 minutes.

And then Adrien got thrown around by Mich St.

The starters in both 06 and 09 were out-toughed by teams they had no business being out-toughed by.

Neither GM nor MSU had a DeJuan Blair.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom