The Golden Era of UConn WBB | The Boneyard

The Golden Era of UConn WBB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Golden Era of UConn WBB: From Class 1995 to 2018 or 2002 to 2016?

Replying to one of the posts about how Paige will do her rookie year, I stumbled unto a startling fact that perhaps should not have surprised me: UConn WBB graduates have led/co-led their WNBA teams to more titles than any other group of alumni have: 13 in 27 years. Those responsible were:

Swin Cash - Detroit Shock 2003, 2006
Sue Bird - Seattle Storm, 2004,
Sue Bird (w/Swin Cash, Svetlana Abrosimova added to Lauren Jackson) - Seattle Storm 2010
Diana Taurasi - Phoenix Mercury, 2007, 2009, 2014
Maya Moore - 2011, 2013, 2015, 2017
Breanna Stewart, Sue Bird - Seattle Storm 2018, 2020

Of course, there were other UConn WBB graduates who won titles as well but were not among the key leaders on the team (I may have missed someone, since this was a quick dig into the record books)

The most amazing part is that all of these titles were accumulated over a period of 18 years: 13 in 18 year span. Should this success in College followed by the WNBA titles be the measure of the Golden Era of UConn WBB? If so, that would be from Class 2002 to Class 2016.

I would contend however, that the first milestone of UConn WBB style of play that Coach G and Staff were trying to establish was the undefeated 1995 version. The refinements in and elevation of their fun-to-watch and effective style of play, especially its flexibility according to the capabilities of the players continued through 2016, winning titles as a result.

And, the oft mentioned wish to have a positionless set of players in the team was perhaps illustrated by the 2016-2017 team that extended the unbeaten streak record to 111 games - there were four who were interchangeable in at least two positions. Those key players then returned in 2017-2018. FFs notwithstanding, neither won the title but it showed extended scintillating glimpses of what Coach G meant about positionless basketball players as something he was also trying to achieve.

So, I submit that the Golden Era of UConn WBB spans the seeds of 1995 team all the way to the 2018.

When Paige took the team to the FF during her freshman year and then Azzi joined her, it looked like more golden years were being visited upon the UConn WBB fans to be crowned with NCs and subsequent WNBA titles. Alas, injuries prevented winning the NC, so far, but the fortitude and resilience of the remaining healthy players to reach the FF and a title game with depleted rosters is worthy of that UConn Golden Age. But for the absent title, some may contend that the sun has not set on the Golden Age.

What do you think?

Reaction Score
The Golden Era of UConn WBB: From Class 1995 to 2018 or 2002 to 2016?

Replying to one of the posts about how Paige will do her rookie year, I stumbled unto a startling fact that perhaps should not have surprised me: UConn WBB graduates have led/co-led their WNBA teams to more titles than any other group of alumni have: 13 in 27 years. Those responsible were:

Swin Cash - Detroit Shock 2003, 2006
Sue Bird - Seattle Storm, 2004,
Sue Bird (w/Swin Cash, Svetlana Abrosimova added to Lauren Jackson) - Seattle Storm 2010
Diana Taurasi - Phoenix Mercury, 2007, 2009, 2014
Maya Moore - 2011, 2013, 2015, 2017
Breanna Stewart, Sue Bird - Seattle Storm 2018, 2020

Of course, there were other UConn WBB graduates who won titles as well but were not among the key leaders on the team (I may have missed someone, since this was a quick dig into the record books)

The most amazing part is that all of these titles were accumulated over a period of 18 years: 13 in 18 year span. Should this success in College followed by the WNBA titles be the measure of the Golden Era of UConn WBB? If so, that would be from Class 2002 to Class 2016.

I would contend however, that the first milestone of UConn WBB style of play that Coach G and Staff were trying to establish was the undefeated 1995 version. The refinements in and elevation of their fun-to-watch and effective style of play, especially its flexibility according to the capabilities of the players continued through 2016, winning titles as a result.

And, the oft mentioned wish to have a positionless set of players in the team was perhaps illustrated by the 2016-2017 team that extended the unbeaten streak record to 111 games - there were four who were interchangeable in at least two positions. Those key players then returned in 2017-2018. FFs notwithstanding, neither won the title but it showed extended scintillating glimpses of what Coach G meant about positionless basketball players as something he was also trying to achieve.

So, I submit that the Golden Era of UConn WBB spans the seeds of 1995 team all the way to the 2018.

When Paige took the team to the FF during her freshman year and then Azzi joined her, it looked like more golden years were being visited upon the UConn WBB fans to be crowned with NCs and subsequent WNBA titles. Alas, injuries prevented winning the NC, so far, but the fortitude and resilience of the remaining healthy players to reach the FF and a title game with depleted rosters is worthy of that UConn Golden Age. But for the absent title, some may contend that the sun has not set on the Golden Age.

What do you think?
I agree with your analysis and my response will be my personal thoughts and observations. I am not articulate as you are and I am not as knowledgeable as you are.but I have my opinions. GENO is a once in a life time BB coach that possessed a BB program in his head that he believed was the ultimate way to play the game. In my opinion, he was a genius. It took him 10 years to get his players to accomplish what he taught and win his first N.C. When his exceptional players left and entered the WNBA they were more prepared to play at the Pro Level than any other school. Sure, there were many other exceptional players that went to the WNBA, but in my opinion, UCONN players were mentally and physically better prepared to play. My apologies that I don't know how to format. GENO has created a Dynasty and legend that will never , and I mean never, be equaled. The 24-25 team and future freshmen is the beginning of a new and wonderful period in GENO's coaching career. I can finally see N.C. N.O.12 and N.O.13. I can also see 78 more wins to bring GENO's total wins to 1,291 and counting. I am a believer!!! GO FRESHMEN!!! GO SOPHOMORE!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!

Reaction Score
I'd say South Carolina is the top program and has been for the better part of the last decade. Winning 3 of the last 7 national championships earns you those bragging rights.
I mean we were too injured those years to even compete with SC. We had loads of 5 star talent on the bunch. I think we absolutely could’ve given them a run for their money had we been healthy this year at least.

Reaction Score
I'd say South Carolina is the top program and has been for the better part of the last decade. Winning 3 of the last 7 national championships earns you those bragging rights.
I don't know about the "better part of the last decade." Yeah, we got a backdoor title in 2017, but then stumbled in 18 and 19. UConn only had one "stumble season" in 2023 when y'all failed to make the final four. We've been pretty dominant during the years from 2020 through 2024, but is that the "better part of" the past ten years? Close, but not quite.

Reaction Score
More on "Better part of a decade:"

Last Ten years Team Mulkey 319 wins
Last ten years Gamecocks 319 wins
Last ten Years UConn 332 wins

Of course, the coaches don't all share the same scheduling philosophies.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There are only a few years in any sport where a team is truly 'The Dominant Champion'. Every other year is a combination of talent, health, and a component of luck that puts one team at the top over one or more equally impressive teams.

Uconn has a few really impressive records:
The three separate unbeaten streaks 111, 90, 70
The six undefeated seasons vs 4 total by 4 other teams
The 11 championships
The 'only one game losing streak' of decades and the not losing to an unranked team streak.
And ...
The two FF streaks of 14 yrs and 5 yrs. (the 5yr matched by 3 other teams (LSU,Stan,ND) soon to be 4(SC)?)

That last one could be extended to a current 15 FF in 16 yrs. to make an argument that we are still in a golden age. And you can extend it to 30 years of always playing on the second weekend of the NCAA with only 5 Elite 8 and 3 S16 loses vs. 22 FF from 1993-4 through 2023-4.

They have seldom been 'unchallenged' - TN for the first 15 years, LSU and Stanford and ND (the three 5 yr FF streak co-holders) and currently SC - but I am not ready to concede the golden age has ended even without a recent NC.

Reaction Score
Yeah, SC and LSU really didn't have a great OOC. Dawn was playing teams way under her talent last season (Come on, Rutgers? SD state? Clemson? Miss. Valley State? Morgan State? Why are you playing these people, Dawn?) I'm not against Dawn or anything but she is capable of a much better schedule than this. Sure, she had Duke and ND, and an injured UCONN, but other than that, not much else. And then of course nothing needs to be said about Mulkey. She may as well have been beating up DII talent.

Out of all three of the coaches, Geno has probably had the best quality wins. His OOC is always stacked. Just last season we had NC State, Texas, UCLA, ND, and SC. Granted we lost, but that's what his OOC always looks like. We're scheduled for USC next season as well.

Part of the reason may be that their conference is more competitive, but even so, I would've liked to see SC vs USC, SC vs UCLA, etc. They're both capable of better teams like that.

Reaction Score
A great golden era at Uconn is about to start now. Jana, with Gandy and if Uconn obtains the Big O, in 2026 may be the greatest era yet. Add Sarah Strong and the young player from Mitty in California, Wolsiniki, in 2026 and WoW!

Reaction Score
Yeah, SC and LSU really didn't have a great OOC. Dawn was playing teams way under her talent last season (Come on, Rutgers? SD state? Clemson? Miss. Valley State? Morgan State? Why are you playing these people, Dawn?) I'm not against Dawn or anything but she is capable of a much better schedule than this. Sure, she had Duke and ND, and an injured UCONN, but other than that, not much else. And then of course nothing needs to be said about Mulkey. She may as well have been beating up DII talent.

Out of all three of the coaches, Geno has probably had the best quality wins. His OOC is always stacked. Just last season we had NC State, Texas, UCLA, ND, and SC. Granted we lost, but that's what his OOC always looks like. We're scheduled for USC next season as well.

Part of the reason may be that their conference is more competitive, but even so, I would've liked to see SC vs USC, SC vs UCLA, etc. They're both capable of better teams like that.
Response deleted. As Nan would point out, this is the UConn board.

Reaction Score
A great golden era at Uconn is about to start now. Jana, with Gandy and if Uconn obtains the Big O, in 2026 may be the greatest era yet. Add Sarah Strong and the young player from Mitty in California, Wolsiniki, in 2026 and WoW!
Would agree...other than the injuries, and that counted for a lot, while many teams have improved, and look more UCONN like (much more movement & passing), without the length/height - compared to those that had it - its been tough...if we stay healthy, and fill that hole, believe Uconn's style of play & relentlessness will once again lead us to championships.:D

Reaction Score
Wolizcko is probably ND bound considering she and her family threw a celebration when she got the offer and they’re life long fans

Reaction Score
I mean we were too injured those years to even compete with SC. We had loads of 5 star talent on the bunch. I think we absolutely could’ve given them a run for their money had we been healthy this year at least.
Very true, but credit where credit is due, SC is currently the top program! I hope to see the beginnings of an adjustment next season however. Maybe, just maybe, we will finally be able to field a healthy team next season! That is all I’m hoping for at present. If we can just accomplish that, then everything else will follow.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
More on "Better part of a decade:"

Last Ten years Team Mulkey 319 wins
Last ten years Gamecocks 319 wins
Last ten Years UConn 332 wins

Yes, but UConn league foes are generally no competition. The win-loss thing is a stat that has more to it. Mulkey and SC have been in much tougher conferences. The AAC was terrible and the new BE not a whole lot better. It is definitely true that the last two years are hard to measure UConn. Last year got to the Elite Eight. This year were possibly a whistle away from playing for the title. As impressive under the circumstances as anything.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yes, but UConn league foes are generally no competition. The win-loss thing is a stat that has more to it. Mulkey and SC have been in much tougher conferences. The AAC was terrible and the new BE not a whole lot better. It is definitely true that the last two years are hard to measure UConn. Last year got to the Elite Eight. This year were possibly a whistle away from playing for the title. As impressive under the circumstances as anything.
And yet, I suspect if you went over the last 10 years for those coaches and counted games against top 10, and top 25, you would find similar stats. With the enlarged conferences, the days of SEC teams having to play TN, LSU, KY, etc. home and home and then meet them again in the conf. tourney are long gone. If you OOC doesn't have a ranked team, you may only play 4 or 5 for the season.

As far as unranked ... no top ten team should be at under 95% against unranked teams and top 5 teams should be at 99%. So the difference in conference strength is more than made up for by a rigorous OOC.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
II'd say South Carolina is the top program and has been for the better part of the last decade. Winning 3 of the last 7 national championships earns you those bragging rights.
Last decade - no. I'll give you the last 6 years.

UConn injuries over the last 2 to 3 years have made it difficult. Still UConn made the final four this past season. Only the year before was not up to par, not getting to the elite 8.

Many still consider UConn the standard for women's basketball. And winning 11 national championships give you that credibility.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Playing in the SEC is notably tougher though than AAC and Big East.

Reaction Score
You mean in terms of titles....

Indeed, Paige and Azzi deserve a healthy season together as do Aubrey and Caroline (whose health may still be iffy); and with the addition of Sarah Strong and the other incomings, I contended elsewhere that the team did not need transfers to reach that objective - just full health. But the lady from Princeton should help.

If, indeed, Coach G secures those players you named, then whatever lofty accomplishments come this coming year can continue, with the FF the floor of their potential as it had been for so many years - 14 in a row is no easy task, is it? And the 2nd streak of 5 straight is not that easy either: just count the number of those who have achieved it.

And that is really why the proposition that the UConn WBB Golden Age remains aglow stays true to some, for even with rosters depleted for one reason or another and its best players sidelined for the season, the remaining healthy players have been indomitable and resilient, failing to reach the FF only once in the past 15 years, returning to that lofty perch again last year. after the year of interruption.

Enjoy it, for Coach G and CD do not have many years left....all the more reason for the BB gods to smile upon them to ensure full health of its players in the fold. A poetic ending to their coaching time should come to pass. Perhaps, that notion might tug at the hearts of those key players you mentioned, in order to help write a glorious ending to their tenure.

So it is written, so it shall be done!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
The current Big East, yes but not the old Big East where UConn wass for a long time
I was referring to the 10 year comparison of Dawn, Kim and Geno. Last 10 years UCONN has competed in a depleted Big East and AAC. The OOC scheduling has been stellar though by Geno.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom