The Girls finding out they can play | The Boneyard

The Girls finding out they can play

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
We talked about a lot of things over the summer. Yesterday (9/22) was the first day of Autumn, the summer season is officially gone. The season begins in 63 days. We never did arrive at a consensus on who the starting 5 will be. Those that posted comments had their favorites, and gave chapter and verse why their 5 should start. We'll never ALL agree on a starting lineup. Now that we know for sure there will be a season this year (thank goodness), that is one matter we need to clean up and finish.

I took a wait and see approach on whether or not Paige would start, because she is a freshman, and does not know the system or plays yet. As point guard and floor general, you've got to know the plays and the system, as you are directing the flow of the offense. As we get closer to November 25, and the team gets more practice time (together) under their belts, I may have to revise my position. We all know that at some point, she will become a starter. "When" is the question. There is a lot of talent and experience in front of her.

Right now, I like Christyn Williams, Olivia Nelson-Ododa, Evina Westbrook, Aubrey Griffin and Anna Makurat to begin the season as starters. Williams, ONO and Westbrook are the most experienced players on the roster, Makurat is a returning starter and Griffin was the 6th man last year. Usually, Geno's 6th man starts the next year. Geno recently said that Griffin is now a "hundred times better" than last year. :eek: I would have started her anyway, but after hearing that, she definitely starts.

Most of the freshmen will see lots of time on the floor, especially Bueckers and Edwards, who I expect to be the first two players off the bench. Both may move into the starting lineup before season's end (if they do, who sits?). Who is willing to make the poll? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
We talked about a lot of things over the summer. Yesterday (9/22) was the first day of Autumn, the summer season is officially gone. The season begins in 63 days. We never did arrive at a consensus on who the starting 5 will be. Those that posted comments had their favorites, and gave chapter and verse why their 5 should start. We'll never ALL agree on a starting lineup. Now that we know for sure there will be a season this year (thank goodness), that is one matter we need to clean up and finish.

I took a wait and see approach on whether or not Paige would start, because she is a freshman, and does not know the system or plays yet. As point guard and floor general, you've got to know the plays and the system, as you are directing the flow of the offense. As we get closer to November 25, and the team gets more practice time (together) under their belts, I may have to revise my position. We all know that at some point, she will become a starter. "When" is the question. There is a lot of talent and experience in front of her.

Right now, I like Christyn Williams, Olivia Nelson-Ododa, Evina Westbrook, Aubrey Griffin and Anna Makurat to begin the season as starters. Williams, Griffin and Westbrook are the most experienced players on the roster, Makurat is a returning starter and Griffin was the 6th man last year. Usually, Geno's 6th man starts the next year. Geno recently said that Griffin is now a "hundred times better" than last year. :eek: I would have started her anyway, but after hearing that, she definitely starts.

Most of the freshmen will see lots of time on the floor, especially Bueckers and Edwards, who I expect to be the first two players off the bench. Both may move into the starting lineup before season's end (if they do, who sits?). Who is willing to make the poll? :rolleyes:
That's the day one lineup I predicted months ago. My opinion hasn't changed. However, I will add what I've said before. Things may change after the New Year.

Carnac

Reaction Score
That's the day one lineup I predicted months ago. My opinion hasn't changed. However, I will add what I've said before. Things may change after the New Year.

Agreed!!! I don't expect the line up that begins the season will be the lineup that ends the season. ;)

Reaction Score
I enjoy the "who starts" discussions but at this point without knowing what is going on in workouts and scrimmages it is a fool's errand making a prediction. There are 8 freshmen and sophomores and 3 upperclassmen. One upperclassman has 2 years experience but with another program. Given all this the starters are a crap shot. I would guess that the coaches may have a clue but with so many players 5'11" - 6'1" it will be a month at least before even they know.

Reaction Score
Right now, I like Christyn Williams, Olivia Nelson-Ododa, Evina Westbrook, Aubrey Griffin and Anna Makurat to begin the season as starters. Williams, Griffin and Westbrook are the most experienced players on the roster, Makurat is a returning starter and Griffin was the 6th man last year. Usually, Geno's 6th man starts the next year. Geno recently said that Griffin is now a "hundred times better" than last year. :eek: I would have started her anyway, but after hearing that, she definitely starts.
I agree. You have to go with experience. Bueckers may be the next biggest thing at the guard position, but she's never played a college game in her life. Same goes for Edwards. I think the team is positioned nicely going forward with some good options off the bench (with reinforcements arriving next season) and time to develop them since everyone in the proposed starting lineup has at least two years left, so it should allow for smooth transitions at key positions.

Reaction Score
I agree. You have to go with experience. Bueckers may be the next biggest thing at the guard position, but she's never played a college game in her life. Same goes for Edwards. I think the team is positioned nicely going forward with some good options off the bench (with reinforcements arriving next season) and time to develop them since everyone in the proposed starting lineup has at least two years left, so it should allow for smooth transitions at key positions.

Christyn Williams, Olivia Nelson-Ododa, Evina Westbrook, Aubrey Griffin and Anna Makurat

It's a logical list, all the upperclassmen. But among the 5 of them there is a total of 6 years of UConn experience. That isn't what I would call a veteran starting unit.

Reaction Score
Whoever earns the starting job will play. I wouldn't bet against Paige; otherwise, you don't have a point guard starting.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Agreed!!! I don't expect the line up that begins the season will be the lineup that ends the season. ;)
Why did you leave out Nelson-Ododa? Sorry, I read it wrong.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Anna must be assisting on the camera.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Carnac's starting five makes sense, but like others I don't see it weathering the season. Remember, too, that Paige sees herself as a combo-guard, though I have to think Geno is thinking point guard. Going to be very interesting to watch who is getting off the bench when as the season progresses.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Whoever earns the starting job will play. I wouldn't bet against Paige; otherwise, you don't have a point guard starting.

I wouldn’t either. She’ll have to prove to Geno that she can run the point to his satisfaction before he adds her to the starting unit. How soon she’s able to do that is up to her. I can guarantee that the coaches won’t do anything to retard her progress.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Christyn Williams, Olivia Nelson-Ododa, Evina Westbrook, Aubrey Griffin and Anna Makurat

It's a logical list, all the upperclassmen. But among the 5 of them there is a total of 6 years of UConn experience. That isn't what I would call a veteran starting unit.

Agreed, it’s not a veteran unit, but that’s the hand Geno was dealt, and it's the hand he'll have to play. This is the most "veteran" line up he can start. The other 6 players are all freshmen. I’m confident playing any other team, (especially the 3 they lost to a season ago) with these five..........home or away.

Even though she’s not a marquee player (yet), I think the player other teams should be most concerned about is Griffin. I think she has the most potential for “going off” at any time than the other four.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agreed, it’s not a veteran unit, but that’s the hand Geno was dealt, which is what he’ll have to play. I’m confident playing any other team, (especially the 3 they lost to a season ago) with these five..........home or away.

Even though she’s not a marquee player (yet), I think the player other teams should be most concerned about is Griffin. I think she has more potential for “going off” at any time than the other four.
[/QUOTE]

Don't think I am not optimistic despite the lack of experience. Griffin, ONO and Makurat were different players at the end of last season than at the start. I am also very high on Bueckers who I expect to share minutes with the starters (assuming she starts on the bench).

I don't think Geno is interested in exchanging cards with anyone.

Carnac

Reaction Score

Don't think I am not optimistic despite the lack of experience. Griffin, ONO and Makurat were different players at the end of last season than at the start. I am also very high on Bueckers who I expect to share minutes with the starters (assuming she starts on the bench).

I don't think Geno is interested in exchanging cards with anyone.
[/QUOTE]

Bueckers' gifts will make room for her. As soon as she can play (learn they system and run the offense) the more she'll play. I expect her to learn the system quickly with the help of her coaches and teammates. She should be very comfortable in Geno's system by mid-January.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
What about the guards they have who already know the system? She will have to beat them out and they have a head start.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom