The Geno Show and Coach P | The Boneyard

The Geno Show and Coach P

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In the Geno Showlast night Geno and Kerith Burke discussed the nonconference schedule and she brought up how whipping high ranking team in the NCS (non-conference schedule) could lead them to not want to play UConn. Geno acknowledged that there were programs that did not want to play UConn for that reason. He mentioned beating Duke 8 in a row. He said Doug Bruno had the right attitude, and he would say we will play UConn at every opportunity while acknowledging his team would never win. "Some coaches have a different attitude." So my take away is he sees Coach P as having had enough of that.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
In the Geno Showlast night Geno and Kerith Burke discussed the nonconference schedule and she brought up how whipping high ranking team in the NCS (non-conference schedule) could lead them to not want to play UConn. Geno acknowledged that there were programs that did not want to play UConn for that reason. He mentioned beating Duke 8 in a row. He said Doug Bruno had the right attitude, and he would say we will play UConn at every opportunity while acknowledging his team would never win. "Some coaches have a different attitude." So my take away is he sees Coach P as having had enough of that.
I think that Kerith brought up Duke and Geno just deflected it back to Bruno, i.e. he'd rather praise Bruno, than criticize P. The best part was his response to the Tennessee game issue. He's done with it.

Now in Holly's interview that was on ESPN W she states that "Geno asked her to do some things that (she) wasn't comfortable with." I suspect that this is the recanting of the "Geno knows what he did" accusations. Barring that, Geno is done.

Reaction Score
While it is on some level understandable why a Coach would not want to see their team beaten (bludgeoned) by UConn over and over again, I think that attitude is shortsighted. If you are an elite team you should want to play the best as a measuring stick. You can learn how your program, recruiting, coaching and team needs to get better to compete. You can coach your players through the awe. The elite teams with the most success against UConn (Notre Dame, Stanford) played UConn regularly. They also had great coaches. If you are only going to play UConn once a year in the tournament ... well, good luck to you!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think that Kerith brought up Duke and Geno just deflected it back to Bruno, i.e. he'd rather praise Bruno, than criticize P. The best part was his response to the Tennessee game issue. He's done with it.

Now in Holly's interview that was on ESPN W she states that "Geno asked her to do some things that (she) wasn't comfortable with." I suspect that this is the recanting of the "Geno knows what he did" accusations. Barring that, Geno is done.

I think you are right, he did not want to call out Coach P, but he was clearly putting her in that "other coaches" camp, while hoping to get the game back sometime . Don't burn a bridge. Yeah, the Tennessee thing ... for sure no bridge there.

Reaction Score
Geno said that Doug Bruno stated (paraphrasing): "We have never beaten UCONN. And if we stop playing them, we will never have the chance to beat them." He praised Bruno's attitude, while acknowledging that other coaches felt differently and they had the right to do so. I thought it was a great response.

Reaction Score
Geno said that Doug Bruno stated (paraphrasing): "We have never beaten UCONN. And if we stop playing them, we will never have the chance to beat them." He praised Bruno's attitude, while acknowledging that other coaches felt differently and they had the right to do so. I thought it was a great response.

Well put. I don't believe he said Coach P. had a different philosophy.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
UConn pretty much is at a level that no other team can come close to. UConn continues to get better and Genos ability to teach and tweak each and every player at UConns level is truly amazing. Its one thing to show a player what to do it another to show each individual player what to do, expect it to be done, and then drill them on it until they cant do it wrong...as a team. The entire UConn team is on the same page and there are no outside interferences. Many teams have great individual talented players who cant play as a team, are not on the same page, and never improve because theyre not taught, and there is no discipline to give them a reason to change.

Genos remarks during the half time tape last nite referring to recruiting players as well as their parents and if their parents were a hindrance he wouldnt recruit the kid, was spot on. You cant have distractions. You cant have parents telling the kid something different then what Geno is telling them. In order to get better you have to change or you'll continue to average. Geno is a coach who can get a player to the next level, but everyone, parents, coaches, and players all have to be on the same page. Once kids get to UConn parents need to stop coaching them. Theyre in Genos hands now.

Take a look at UCOnns roster today and tell me who isn't getting better. Some faster then others but you can see the improvement. That's special and that's why UConn as a team is do dam good.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score

Flashback to Maya, the steal; Ketia, the drive.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I think you are right, he did not want to call out Coach P, but he was clearly putting her in that "other coaches" camp, while hoping to get the game back sometime . Don't burn a bridge. Yeah, the Tennessee thing ... for sure no bridge there.

Just curious as to what does UCONN have to gain by having Duke back on the future schedule ? After seeing the past 7-8 Duke/UCONN meetings, along with your beatdowns of SMU and Vanderbilt...... UCONN might as well schedule another Southern school with methodist roots.... the winning margins wouldnt be that much different :(

Wofford ?.... Bethune-Cookman might be available as well :p

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Loved this quote.

Reaction Score
I think that attitude is shortsighted. If you are an elite team you should want to play the best as a measuring stick. You can learn how your program, recruiting, coaching and team needs to get better to compete.

They've had 8 years to learn. I don't see what they gain from the game at this point, and think taking a break is probably the right move.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Just curious as to what does UCONN have to gain by having Duke back on the future schedule ? After seeing the past 7-8 Duke/UCONN meetings, along with your beatdowns of SMU and Vanderbilt. UCONN might as well schedule another Southern school with methodist roots.... the winning margins wouldnt be that much different :(

Wofford ?.... Bethune-Cookman might be available as well :p

Hey, I know you guys have had more than a few kicks in the gut lately, but next year should hopefully give you a lot of things to work with. What Coach P does with them may still be your burden I know.

Reaction Score
I think it's somewhat unfair to be overly critical of a team that doesn't want to risk losing to the UConn's of the world. Teams that take that risk end up losing more than just the game, as they get overly penalized for losing. It could unjustifiably cost them a spot at the big dance, even if they do much better than expected, even though they lose.

Teams should get some street cred for taking the risk unless their refusal to play is couched in reasons involving a false morality or some other dubious excuse.

Reaction Score
Teams that aspire to do well in the NCAA tournament should play teams like UCONN, ND etc. It's a reality check for them to see where they really stand and what they need to improve on. If I were Tenn or Duke you can bet I'd schedule UCONN every year.
You can't be afraid of or run away from failure.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think it's somewhat unfair to be overly critical of a team that doesn't want to risk losing to the UConn's of the world. Teams that take that risk end up losing more than just the game, as they get overly penalized for losing. It could unjustifiably cost them a spot at the big dance, even if they do much better than expected, even though they lose.

Teams should get some street cred for taking the risk unless their refusal to play is couched in reasons involving a false morality or some other dubious excuse.

Understand, Best, I understand why she could chose to end the series and she said it was time for change and would consider renewing the series down the road. However, I hope she realizes that terminating the series does lead to the inference that she has conceded Geno's superiority as a coach and that UConn "raises a better crop", etc. This will not be lost on recruiting classes out there.

Course, she may accept that hit as a better fate than loosing year after year to not one, not two, but 3 Old Big East "escapees".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom