The Game No One Wants to See | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Game No One Wants to See

Reaction Score
Basketball has always been a game where matchups and timing played a major part in the outcome. Timing in respect of the competing teams having good of bad shooting days. This does not even factor in the impact that officiating can have on outcomes. I am not just speaking about bad calls but the way games are called can often favor one teams style of play over the other. This results in the best over all team often not winning.

Its the any given day factor if the teams are close enough in talent. One example already given was the year ND - Uconn series that have a different outcome in the National Championship than the regular season. Another was when Baylor teat A&M three times and then lost to them in the tournament. Still another incident was when UNLV lost to Duke after having destroyed them the year before with basically the same team.

The best team does not always win, so single games are often not a god indicator of strength. A lot of circumstances come into play. However, one should never diminsish the accomplishment of surviving the National Championhip brackets. It certainly is a better indicatior of team strength than just a season record because teams play against differeing competition. This was especially trut this season. Even if you are the best team in WCBB, the more you play against teams that are capable of beating you on any given night the more the odds are that you will lose.

The term fan, being a shortened version of fanatic, will often distort even normally rational peoples perstpectives. UConn fans on this site, appear to be the most knowledgable fans in WCBB. So generally this is also reflected in their sense of objectivity.

However, posts like the first on on this thread and recent ones that attributed posters outrage at bad officiating as being mortivated by hate for UConn certainly is not condusive to promoting UConn love. Now I am sure that there are basketball fans that do hate UConn and want them to lose every game. However we should never paint everyone with the same brush. I for one expected UConn to win because I thought they were the better team when they played Baylor. And my opinion on the lack of the foul call was based purely on what I saw combined with my general lack of respect for officiating. certainly not UConn hatred. Being accused of being a UConn hater and posts like the one that began this thread might actually drive someone to becoming a UConn hater if not put it into proper perspective. Since I know they do not represent the majority of UConn fans it allows me to devorce them from the fan base and team in general. However, some other womens basketball fans might not be as objective, so it is very possible that those types of posts might create or exacerbate any existing UConn dislike. Posters might want to think about the image they are presenting as part of a fan base.

Reaction Score
Arizona in the Championship Gane is surprising, but isn't that big an upset. They were in the top 10 most of the season before faltering in the tournament. They were a #3 seed with the fourth ranked defense & one of tge top players in the country . And they were only a 5 point underdog today! Arizona beat a #1 seed (UCONN) & a #2 seed (Texas A&M) handily in this tournament & almost beat #1 seed Stanford today.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
As the one of the first to reply to the OP, I said I was looking forward to it. And it did not disappoint. Can't get closer than one point margin. Great game , and the outcome was just fine .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom