The Game No One Wants to See | The Boneyard

The Game No One Wants to See

Reaction Score
On January 1st, Arizona was soundly beaten by Stanford 81-54. On February 22, the Cardinal won 62-48. Now America has the opportunity to see these two teams meet a third time with the the NC on the line. April Fool's joke? Nope.
It appears that Stanford will get its first NC in 29 years. That's expected. If, by some miracle, Arizona wins, the trophy will not mean much (except to them). Bad for basketball? Especially bad for ESPN?
Yup and yup. Only one of the country's best teams should be declared NC.
I wish we could have seen two really good and worthy teams in the Final.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
There have been such games in the past. 2016 UConn/Syracuse as an example. Another is 2013 UConn/Louisville. Yes, we expect Stanford to win, but Arizona is worthy, because they won their way there. The opportunity wasn't just handed to them.
This a good example as to why I can't believe that Staley/SC are arrogant and adamant, that they won the NC last year. Every team of the original 64 had an opportunity. 2 teams made every game a win to arrive where they are. Give credit where it is due and enjoy the game.
Once again, huskyd, we UConn fans are way too spoiled. Once this evening has been played out, we begin preparation for our young women to excite us in a new season, 7 months from now.

Reaction Score
On January 1st, Arizona was soundly beaten by Stanford 81-54. On February 22, the Cardinal won 62-48. Now America has the opportunity to see these two teams meet a third time with the the NC on the line. April Fool's joke? Nope.
It appears that Stanford will get its first NC in 29 years. That's expected. If, by some miracle, Arizona wins, the trophy will not mean much (except to them). Bad for basketball? Especially bad for ESPN?
Not sure whether this is tongue in cheek but Arizona just beat one of the “ country’s best teams” from the opening tip to the final buzzer pretty soundly. And if they do win it will mean that WCBB has grown up, at least to those who don’t play the games on paper.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I am looking forward to it. Stanford is a great team and has the upper hand , but Arizona beat UConn from stem to stern and is peaking at the right time. I hope it is an exciting game.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Its really hard to beat a team 3 times in a season. Az will use every disrespect card in their deck. Aari playing for WNBA draft position and all kids 5' 7" . And I do not think they will be emotionally spent like Miss. St.

So I give them an outside chance

Reaction Score
Huh? How will the trophy not mean much? How is this bad for basketball? I kind of agree it might be bad for ESPN's ratings, but Arizona earned the right to be here. Dont watch the game if you cant get over UConn losing. Enjoy your Sunday doing something else, but don't crap all over this championship game.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Pretty insulting to both teams, IMO

Reaction Score
Its really hard to beat a team 3 times in a season. Az will use every disrespect card in their deck. Aari playing for WNBA draft position and all kids 5' 7" . And I do not think they will be emotionally spent like Miss. St.

So I give them an outside chance
Well said. I love the way McDonald plays (I hadn't seen her play at all before the tournament). Stanford likely wins, and may win easily, but as someone said earlier, the games are not played on paper.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
As eebmg noted: It's hard to defeat a team three times....and these words are from non other than our illustrious coach Geno...

Back in the Big East days and even in the American we played teams twice during the season and then (often) again in the tourney..

South Florida come to mind; always a decent team, but we usually manhandled them.

Going back some to Stewie's freshman year (is it almost a decade ago?)...Notre Dame beat us all three times during the regular season and tourney, all close games, so the NCAA semi's were a 4th meeting...which we won....I remember Geno saying to Holly post-game (gleefully)...Just today, for this one game, we were the better team...That was Stewie's coming out party.

Moral: Don't give on on Arizona.

Reaction Score
Regardless of who wins tonight..Lets see what Arizona does in the next few years...OMO...but I think Arizona could be a one and done team...they will be watched in the coming years because of 2021 but the team needs to reload, learn to play together, this could take a few years. Not sure they will ever be at the top of they’re game in the PAC12...time will tell.

Reaction Score
There have been such games in the past. 2016 UConn/Syracuse as an example. Another is 2013 UConn/Louisville. Yes, we expect Stanford to win, but Arizona is worthy, because they won their way there. The opportunity wasn't just handed to them.
This a good example as to why I can't believe that Staley/SC are arrogant and adamant, that they won the NC last year. Every team of the original 64 had an opportunity. 2 teams made every game a win to arrive where they are. Give credit where it is due and enjoy the game.
Once again, huskyd, we UConn fans are way too spoiled. Once this evening has been played out, we begin preparation for our young women to excite us in a new season, 7 months from now.
On the men's side what has made their tournament were games like NCST over Houston in 1983, and Then Villanova over Georgetown in 1985. The excitement of watching the underdog beat the top dog makes for great television.
Even if it costs fans the women need to eliminate home court advantage the 1st 2 rounds. The eyes on TV for upsets will get more people interested.

Reaction Score
the whole process is out of wack beginning with the conference tournaments (which should be done away with immediately) who's the real champion? do three games really mean more than 18? Does a team with a sub-500 record deserve to go? and of teams like arizona and others where have your coaches and your players been all seaaon? devise some way of determining the best teams and go from there

Reaction Score
.....and if you ever wonder why most opposing fans our team and our fans, read that.

I'm super happy for Arizona and I actually want them to win, but I just don't see it. They beat us because we weren't used to their style of play, but Stanford knows them well. I just don't see this game being close, honestly.

Reaction Score
On the men's side what has made their tournament were games like NCST over Houston in 1983, and Then Villanova over Georgetown in 1985. The excitement of watching the underdog beat the top dog makes for great television.
Even if it costs fans the women need to eliminate home court advantage the 1st 2 rounds. The eyes on TV for upsets will get more people interested.
i always thought it was the bird-magic matchup that brought in the first giant ratings

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Going back some to Stewie's freshman year (is it almost a decade ago?)...Notre Dame beat us all three times during the regular season and tourney, all close games, so the NCAA semi's were a 4th meeting...which we won....I remember Geno saying to Holly post-game (gleefully)...Just today, for this one game, we were the better team...That was Stewie's coming out party.

Moral: Don't give on on Arizona.
+1. I was thinking the exact same thing in response. I was at that Big East Conference Championship game that UConn narrowly lost and thought "damn, three losses to ND in the same season? This is the first time in forever that another team has really started owning Geno & UConn on the regular."

...Then Stewwie & Co. won four championships in four years losing only one game after that. Anything can happen in April. I expect a close, hard fought game.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Whatever the outcome, the PAC-12 championship drought ends tonight! It'll be 29 years and 28 NCAA tournaments since a PAC-12 team last hoisted the trophy.

UConn goes 5 years (4 tournaments) without a championship and there are multiple threads and theories about why or who's at fault. Twenty-nine years is inexplicable.

Congrats to the PAC-12.

Reaction Score
Regardless of who wins tonight..Lets see what Arizona does in the next few years...OMO...but I think Arizona could be a one and done team...they will be watched in the coming years because of 2021 but the team needs to reload, learn to play together, this could take a few years. Not sure they will ever be at the top of they’re game in the PAC12...time will tell.
So what? They beat Uconn soundly this year! They are in the NC game this year! What is the compulsion some of you have to denigrate all other teams, all other players? It is so childish!

Reaction Score
1997 was the last PAC 12 NCAA Basketball Champion (Arizona) 1992 was the last PAC 12 NCAA Women’s Basketball Champion (Stanford)

Reaction Score
I guess this means the PAC-12 is bad for women’s basketball.

Reaction Score
I know you mad, but you can’t win em all. And if your team doesn’t win, you don’t get a trophy. I think some UConn fans are like the helicopter aau basketball parents and feel like UConn should get a trophy for everything even when they didn’t earn it or and want them to transfer after they’re not the star of the team. For example, ONO & Christyn AA honors over the players who had better seasons. Poor sportsmanship if you ask me.

Reaction Score
LMAO. So go ahead and name the two really good and worthy teams you wanted to see. By your logic there are none because they all lost to the lousy ones.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom