The Gabulous One | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Gabulous One

Reaction Score
Of all the Husky greats I saw, Gabby was by far the most athletic. Had she been so inclined, I think she could have been a great high jumper or hurdler. But there's more money in b-ball, and I hope she's raking it in.
She was quite the high jumper, heading to the olympics. Injury caused her to switch to bball.

Reaction Score
Gabby vs Duke.jpg
Ms Gabulous airborne:

Reaction Score
I think Gabby's jump tied the age-group (15-year olds) record.

Gabby was really good in the Euroleague last year, but we didn't get a chance to see her improved game in the W last summer because of the contract snafu. I'm excited about what she can do in Seattle with Sue, Stewie, and Jewell.
Think she will more then fill the slot, that Clark had on defense, not as good a 3 PT shooter but will rebound and score as much. Probably a better passer, and creater for teammates then Clark.
Should fit well, and will enable Seattle to play with 3 forwards more, Stewie, Ezi, and Gabby, with Sue, and Jewell.
Back to a quick lineup, and less with Russell, who is a nice player, but not mobile enough for the Seattle offense.

Reaction Score
I loved just watching her run during the games. I remember Rebecca saying on a broadcast one time “you can tell she was a track star if you watch her run it’s kind of a prance on the front of her toes” or something like that

Reaction Score
Imagine if she had those same skills developed when she was at UConn.........WOW!!!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sure, she can hit the 3, make a pull up jumper and drive to the basket. But can she dunk?
As I was watching that video I thought, man she is such a complete player. She’s comfortable on the perimeter or backing someone down in the paint.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Well, Jay Bilas called her the best player in the nation.
Exactly. She developed a great deal at UConn considering what she was like her freshman season. SMH

Williams helped UConn reach a 148–3 record over her four-year career, which included four Final Four appearances and back to back National Championships. She had one of only five Huskies triple-doubles in school history. One of only eight Huskies, along with Tina Charles, Rebecca Lobo, Maya Moore, Stefanie Dolson, Jamelle Elliott, Breanna Stewart and Napheesa Collier with at least 1,000 points and 1,000 rebounds. Williams finished her career 22nd on UConn's all-time scoring list at 1,582 career points, seventh with 1,007 career rebounds, 13th in assists (481) and fifth in steals (305). Williams was named the 2017 American Athletic Conference and WBCA NCAA Division I Defensive Player of the Year and 2018 Lowe's Senior Class Award.[4]

Reaction Score
Exactly. She developed a great deal at UConn considering what she was like her freshman season. SMH

Williams helped UConn reach a 148–3 record over her four-year career, which included four Final Four appearances and back to back National Championships. She had one of only five Huskies triple-doubles in school history. One of only eight Huskies, along with Tina Charles, Rebecca Lobo, Maya Moore, Stefanie Dolson, Jamelle Elliott, Breanna Stewart and Napheesa Collier with at least 1,000 points and 1,000 rebounds. Williams finished her career 22nd on UConn's all-time scoring list at 1,582 career points, seventh with 1,007 career rebounds, 13th in assists (481) and fifth in steals (305). Williams was named the 2017 American Athletic Conference and WBCA NCAA Division I Defensive Player of the Year and 2018 Lowe's Senior Class Award.[4]
And, I don't ever forget that she lost her junior and senior HS years to injuries, so she was playing catch up on everything, especially her offense when she came to UConn. But what she became for a 5'11" guard, in her last two years at UConn, is unique in the annals of UConn WBB history. It was no wonder that Jay Bilas gushed over her.

It is only now, entering her 4th year as a professional that her offense is catching up and, though the 3pt shooting is still not as good as she wants it to be, she no longer hesitates to shoot, with an encouraging number going in to keep the defense engaged. Only a matter of time before that too will be refined for accuracy (tuck that behind in Gabby, when you elevate to shoot....same center of gravity all the time just before you release)!

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
She was actually an Olympic level high jumper. She almost made team USA while she was a sophomore, still in high school. IIRC they took 2 or 3 athletes and she was 5th at Nationals.

As the youngest athlete at this week’s U.S. Olympic Track & Field Trials, Gabby Williams could have been happy just to have qualified. She could have gone to Eugene, Ore., simply for the experience.

But contentment with her own success has never been Williams’ style.

A long shot to make the team in the women’s high jump, Williams, still just at girl at 15, made a push Saturday evening. The Reed junior-to-be set a personal best but eventually fell short, settling for fifth place

But she more than opened a few eyes along the way.

Williams received a standing ovation from the Hayward Field crowd on the University of Oregon campus after she failed for the third time to clear the bar at 6 feet, 3½ inches.

“This was the greatest thing I’ve ever done,” Williams said in a phone interview Saturday night. “I’ve never been a spectator at anything that big, and I was one of the people everyone was watching.”

View attachment 73968
Gracious but do we need to provide Norte Dame with visual lessons on flopping?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom