The Gabulous One | The Boneyard

The Gabulous One

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Of all the Husky greats I saw, Gabby was by far the most athletic. Had she been so inclined, I think she could have been a great high jumper or hurdler. But there's more money in b-ball, and I hope she's raking it in.
She was actually an Olympic level high jumper. She almost made team USA while she was a sophomore, still in high school. IIRC they took 2 or 3 athletes and she was 5th at Nationals.

As the youngest athlete at this week’s U.S. Olympic Track & Field Trials, Gabby Williams could have been happy just to have qualified. She could have gone to Eugene, Ore., simply for the experience.

But contentment with her own success has never been Williams’ style.

A long shot to make the team in the women’s high jump, Williams, still just at girl at 15, made a push Saturday evening. The Reed junior-to-be set a personal best but eventually fell short, settling for fifth place

But she more than opened a few eyes along the way.

Williams received a standing ovation from the Hayward Field crowd on the University of Oregon campus after she failed for the third time to clear the bar at 6 feet, 3½ inches.

“This was the greatest thing I’ve ever done,” Williams said in a phone interview Saturday night. “I’ve never been a spectator at anything that big, and I was one of the people everyone was watching.”

1646427094259.png

Last edited:

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
For the record: in the 2012 USA Olympic track and field trials....when Gabby was all of 15...she made 6' 2 and one quarter inches in the high jump....finishing 5th. Several schools told her during the basketball recruiting wars that she could take a redshirt year away from basketball to try out for the 2016 Olympic team...she did stay with hoops all 4 years.

Reaction Score
I saw this a bit earlier RPM, was going to post it, but you beat me to it...! She was and still is one of my all time favorite Huskies. Still displaying those great slicing to the basket moves and is no longer passing up any outside shots.

Reaction Score
I saw this a bit earlier RPM, was going to post it, but you beat me to it...! She was and still is one of my all time favorite Huskies. Still displaying those great slicing to the basket moves and is no longer passing up any outside shots.
I would get hoarse yelling," shoot Gabby, shoot"!

Reaction Score
Sure, she can hit the 3, make a pull up jumper and drive to the basket. But can she dunk?
I remember reading about that when she was at UConn. She said she could dunk a volleyball but had problems trying to palm a basketball. I'll try to find that reference.

Reaction Score
Still my favorite of all time.
Just love watching her play!!

Now that I think about it, she still is my favorite Husky of all time. And I adore the current team and the many greats from the past. There was something about Gabby - on the court she ran like a deer, soared like an eagle, and looked like an hurt angel sometimes when Geno was talking with her...! A fascinating player.

Reaction Score
Wow! I am blown away by the handles and the shooting shown here. I‘m hoping this is a breakout year for Gabby, and as a bonus she’s with Stewie and Sue.

Of course, we know she led Sopron to the FF last year when she also was awarded EuroLeague Defensive Player of the Year in addition to being named to the EuroLeague First Team. Breakout year? That was last year when she did that with Sopron and then helped the French win Bronze in the Olympics, displaying some of what is shown in this video.

WNBA is what we know most but there is a world of WBB out there and these ladies get better rewarded for their efforts playing overseas.

And we shouldn't forget that she was actually two years behind in development entering College because of injuries in last two years of HS....I would say that the role she played in her last two years at UConn was one of the most amazing things I have witnessed for that team....that turned her into my favorite UConn player, all time - Paige, Azzi, Nika, etc. have to go some to displace her.

Maybe I should change my handle now to EmeraldGreenGLW?

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Gabby's jump tied the age-group (15-year olds) record.

Gabby was really good in the Euroleague last year, but we didn't get a chance to see her improved game in the W last summer because of the contract snafu. I'm excited about what she can do in Seattle with Sue, Stewie, and Jewell.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom