OT: - The Future of FOX and The Big East | The Boneyard

OT: The Future of FOX and The Big East

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
On spaces last night it was mentioned that the BIG 12 is joining FOX next year. With how FOX has prioritized the BIG 10 over the Big East, how will the Big East be treated when a conference better than the BIG 10 joins FOX?

Reaction Score
I have to believe not good.. in a month and half the big east goes into the open market.. you would think if both sides were motivated to get it done they would have

Reaction Score
I would think ESPN who’s very concerned with Demographics / Population . Covets the Big East Markets .
The Big East could be a steal for them
at *$5-6.million 0r a little over $110-120 million a year
They just paid that amount for a basket of D1 championships plus the NIT , the prize being the women's basketball tournament. still undervalued.,. Big East women’s basketball is not great sadly but getting the UConn women could help promote their tournament. and our brand .

That’s about equivalent to $4million 2014 dollars .

Reaction Score
I’d be happy if ESPN picked up the Big East. For one the coverage would be better, plus we’d be in the national discussion more. As much as we all hate them for how we’ve been treated. Maybe they’ve come around. Game Day could be a sign of that.

If not ESPN or Fox then we’re in trouble. Not sold on streaming just yet. CBS would be awful.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The NBE is not attractive enough as a overall strong conference to demand what the big boy conferences enjoy.
It's time to move on and out of this basketball only conference. It hurts baseball, football, field hockey etc.
Move on.....................................................

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
FOX is pushing the Val and the Big East to add 2-3 more schools, but rumors are they don’t want to dilute the league with not so ideal teams (ie Dayton, Loyola Chicago, or maybe a Gonzaga).

Wouldn’t be surprised if ESPN picks up the Big East soon. Pay scale might be less than the prospective FOX deal.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
FOX is pushing the Val and the Big East to add 2-3 more schools, but rumors are they don’t want to dilute the league with not so ideal teams (ie Dayton, Loyola Chicago, or maybe a Gonzaga).

Wouldn’t be surprised if ESPN picks up the Big East soon. Pay scale might be less than the prospective FOX deal.
Any ESPN deal almost assuredly comes with some form of ESPN+ component. Hope people are ready for that and to take a back seat to the SEC and ACC instead of the Big Ten.

Drew

Reaction Score
I don't believe they'll bury the #1 program in the country on FS2 and CBS Sports Network, it's against their interests.
They will do whatever the money tells them to do- UConn being #1 in the country has nothing to do with that.

If the TV ratings justify ad rates for FS1 and FOX that allow them to keep making money on the product, they’ll put them on there.

The Big East averages 170k viewers on FS1 this year (source here). If FOX (or any network) finds content at a cheaper alternate that can get them similar or better ratings, they’ll put that on FS1 instead.

Drew

Reaction Score

Curious if you saw the bolded anywhere legitimate or if you’re just reading tea leaves/Twitter, etc

Big East should absolutely consider adding Loyola Chicago along with St Louis and possibly a few others (Davidson? Queens?) that fit the similar mold if TV networks will pay for it. They’re institutional fits with the rest of the league and will help soften the blow when we eventually leave.

Reaction Score
They will do whatever the money tells them to do- UConn being #1 in the country has nothing to do with that.

If the TV ratings justify ad rates for FS1 and FOX that allow them to keep making money on the product, they’ll put them on there.

The Big East averages 170k viewers on FS1 this year (source here). If FOX (or any network) finds content at a cheaper alternate that can get them similar or better ratings, they’ll put that on FS1 instead.
That's my point...FS1 ratings suck compared to FOX, ESPN, and CBS. UConn is a draw, they aren't going to further bury them on FS2 and CBSSN.

Drew

Reaction Score
That's my point...FS1 ratings suck compared to FOX, ESPN, and CBS. UConn is a draw, they aren't going to further bury them on FS2 and CBSSN.
They will if they can’t make money on it on FS1.

Fwiw - only 1 Big East conference game has gone over 1M viewers this year- UConn @ St John’s on February 3rd. Guessing UConn v Marquette will also eclipse that number as well but it’s not like the league tends to put up great viewership on big FOX either.

Reaction Score
They will if they can’t make money on it on FS1.

Fwiw - only 1 Big East conference game has gone over 1M viewers this year- UConn @ St John’s on February 3rd. Guessing UConn v Marquette will also eclipse that number as well but it’s not like the league tends to put up great viewership on big FOX either.
You're still not getting it, nobody draws well on FS1. It's an FS1 problem, not a UConn is a bad draw problem. UConn draws really well.

Drew

Reaction Score
You're still not getting it, nobody draws well on FS1. It's an FS1 problem, not a UConn is a bad draw problem. UConn draws really well.

I think we are saying the same thing…

UConn is the best TV draw in the conference regardless of channel. We are in agreement there.

FS1 (and any network) will put whatever they can get on their channel that maximizes profit relative to the viewership. If they can make more money putting something else on FS1 than Big East basketball, they will do that.

The B1G gets 2x the viewers on FS1 that the BE does link as an example.

Reaction Score
I think we are saying the same thing…

UConn is the best TV draw in the conference regardless of channel. We are in agreement there.

FS1 (and any network) will put whatever they can get on their channel that maximizes profit relative to the viewership. If they can make more money putting something else on FS1 than Big East basketball, they will do that.

The B1G gets 2x the viewers on FS1 that the BE does link as an example.
Yes and the ratings still suck compared to Fox and the other major channels. UConn is a much bigger/better product than the rest of the Big East. I don't think Fox would bury UConn on a channel that is watched even less than FS1, that wouldn't be in their interest. They should be putting UConn on Fox more.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Yes and the ratings still suck compared to Fox and the other major channels. UConn is a much bigger/better product than the rest of the Big East. I don't think Fox would bury UConn on a channel that is watched even less than FS1, that wouldn't be in their interest. They should be putting UConn on Fox more.
It’s the BE that’s burying UConn. Smaller fan bases that don’t bring audience leverage.

Reaction Score
It’s the BE that’s burying UConn. Smaller fan bases that don’t bring audience leverage.
I honestly think it's playing the overwhelming majority of the games on FS1 that's the bigger problem. People don't watch that channel. The ratings would be way better on Fox and ESPN.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Big East should absolutely consider adding Loyola Chicago
No need. Depaul brings the Chicago market.
Swag Trying Not To Laugh GIF by AfterThis

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Curious if you saw the bolded anywhere legitimate or if you’re just reading tea leaves/Twitter, etc

Big East should absolutely consider adding Loyola Chicago along with St Louis and possibly a few others (Davidson? Queens?) that fit the similar mold if TV networks will pay for it. They’re institutional fits with the rest of the league and will help soften the blow when we eventually leave.
I disagree with the schools you listed.

What they should do is wait until the ACC implodes and extends offers to Syracuse, BC, and Pitt. Then put together a football coalition with those 4. But whatever you do don’t dilute basketball with 16+ teams. Regardless the Big East is very picky about who they add. Not as easy as other conferences.

I’ve only heard Dayton in any seriousness discussion tho, I keep my ear to the wind.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom