OT: - The Future of FOX and The Big East | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: The Future of FOX and The Big East

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I disagree with the schools you listed.

What they should do is wait until the ACC implodes and extends offers to Syracuse, BC, and Pitt. Then put together a football coalition with those 4. But whatever you do don’t dilute basketball with 16+ teams. Regardless the Big East is very picky about who they add. Not as easy as other conferences.

I’ve only heard Dayton in any seriousness discussion tho, I keep my ear to the wind.
If we’re assuming FBS football is allowable again, then yes their ambitions would change dramatically. But then again the Big 12 wanting to add Florida State doesn’t mean it’ll ever remotely happen, as an example.

My understanding is theres zero appetite for schools having FBS football in the Big East other than adding UConn

And at this point, Cuse, BC, et all wouldn’t “downgrade” to the BE. They’d pull UConn, USF, and a few others upwards and recreate whatever the best FBS league possible is.

St Louis in particular has a long history with teams in this league. I’m pretty surprised they weren’t invited the first go round to be honest.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I disagree with the schools you listed.

What they should do is wait until the ACC implodes and extends offers to Syracuse, BC, and Pitt. Then put together a football coalition with those 4. But whatever you do don’t dilute basketball with 16+ teams. Regardless the Big East is very picky about who they add. Not as easy as other conferences.

I’ve only heard Dayton in any seriousness discussion tho, I keep my ear to the wind.
They've been courting Gonzaga for a while now.

Reaction Score
Maybe Fox will make a push for us to the Big 12
Fail Charlie Brown GIF by Peanuts

Reaction Score
Well we almost got in the Big 12 on our own, to the point where ADs from the Big 12 said UConn was on deck until Utah joined and completed the Four Corner schools. Couple that with it doesn't seem too reasonable that Fox would want to let go of one of its juggernauts

Reaction Score
Curious if you saw the bolded anywhere legitimate or if you’re just reading tea leaves/Twitter, etc

Big East should absolutely consider adding Loyola Chicago along with St Louis and possibly a few others (Davidson? Queens?) that fit the similar mold if TV networks will pay for it. They’re institutional fits with the rest of the league and will help soften the blow when we eventually leave.
What is Queens? Queens College? Queens University?

I can't tell if you're trolling.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
They've been courting Gonzaga for a while now.
If we’re assuming FBS football is allowable again, then yes their ambitions would change dramatically. But then again the Big 12 wanting to add Florida State doesn’t mean it’ll ever remotely happen, as an example.

My understanding is theres zero appetite for schools having FBS football in the Big East other than adding UConn

And at this point, Cuse, BC, et all wouldn’t “downgrade” to the BE. They’d pull UConn, USF, and a few others upwards and recreate whatever the best FBS league possible is.

St Louis in particular has a long history with teams in this league. I’m pretty surprised they weren’t invited the first go round to be honest.
I’ve heard St Louis kicked around too. I’m not sure how much value them and the A10 schools they’re rumored to be eying would bring.

Reaction Score
That's my point...FS1 ratings suck compared to FOX, ESPN, and CBS. UConn is a draw, they aren't going to further bury them on FS2 and CBSSN.
As long as we are among the top teams in the country, we will be carried on Fox more than most. The problem is that the rest of the league will want everyone to be there at least once. Honestly, maybe Marquette draws. Nobody else does. Loyola, St Louis and Dayton do nothing. Imagine if the NEWBIE went into this negotiation without UConn. They would literally be selling candy bars in the stands to cover the costs. In truth, whatever the deal is we deserve a larger piece of the pie. Maybe 20%. Everyone else splits the remaining 80%.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I’ve heard St Louis kicked around too. I’m not sure how much value them and the A10 schools they’re rumored to be eying would bring.
The only value they have is additional content - they’re not bringing anything over what anyone else in the league is bringing viewership wise.

I personally view St Louis as a home run expansion candidate for the Big East. High ceiling in a large metropolitan area (top 20 nationally) without a NBA team. There’s good money and corporate support, plus it’s Jesuit and enrollment would be on par with the other Big East schools. Thats one of many reasons why they have shared a league with half of the current Big East at one point or another. They fit very well.

Reaction Score
Val has to do something. Diluting the product by adding Dayton is not the option. Same goes with adding Gonzaga. The conference needs to market itself better but it’s too late if the deal is being negotiated off of current ratings — FS1 ratings stink but our best teams minus UConn fall behind run of the mill B10 games on the channel. That is a major problem for negotiating.

Val has to get creative. I’d bring back Big Monday to start. Most Monday games stink in CBB. Market it like crazy. Make it the marquee game of the week (like a better version of football MACtion). It shouldn’t dilute Saturday games if they can figure out to make the travel or schedule not too challenging to play on Mondays. But shouldn’t be too difficult. You can also add OBE matchups on Mondays as part of the noncon.

Next, I’d do something more drastic like a scheduling alliance with the Mountain West. They have 11 teams and it’s a very fun basketball conference. I’m not talking about a 11v11 challenge one time a year, I’m talking about multiple games. Play 4 games each rather than cupcakes in Nov and Dec. I think we’d all rather play Colorado State or SDSU than Pine Bluff. Those are games that look great if you win, don’t kill if you lose, and are better ratings.

Things like this is what the BE needs to do to stay relevant. I don’t trust Val to do this but one can hope.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
As long as we are among the top teams in the country, we will be carried on Fox more than most. The problem is that the rest of the league will want everyone to be there at least once. Honestly, maybe Marquette draws. Nobody else does. Loyola, St Louis and Dayton do nothing. Imagine if the NEWBIE went into this negotiation without UConn. They would literally be selling candy bars in the stands to cover the costs. In truth, whatever the deal is we deserve a larger piece of the pie. Maybe 20%. Everyone else splits the remaining 80%.
Fetch Mean Girls GIF by Paramount Movies

Reaction Score
Maybe Fox will make a push for us to the Big 12
Ha, that is first rule of conference realignment territory there. Certainly, one can hope. But do we really want to be in the 12?

Reaction Score
You're still not getting it, nobody draws well on FS1. It's an FS1 problem, not a UConn is a bad draw problem. UConn draws really well.

Thanks for your take. I was wondering if we don’t draw because viewers don’t watch the Big East or if it’s because FS1 is a bush league outlet not available I. A large portion of the country. I suspected the latter. It’s probably best to find another network with a wider viewership for a new contract. We have to make more with a new contract and limit it to 3 years. We are the national champs and number 1 now. We have reached the rarified air of a blue blood.

Reaction Score
Curious if you saw the bolded anywhere legitimate or if you’re just reading tea leaves/Twitter, etc

Big East should absolutely consider adding Loyola Chicago along with St Louis and possibly a few others (Davidson? Queens?) that fit the similar mold if TV networks will pay for it. They’re institutional fits with the rest of the league and will help soften the blow when we eventually leave.
I can't believe we're in a conference where we discuss adding schools like that.

Reaction Score
On spaces last night it was mentioned that the BIG 12 is joining FOX next year. With how FOX has prioritized the BIG 10 over the Big East, how will the Big East be treated when a conference better than the BIG 10 joins FOX?

Does Fox like having UConn on their network?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Has Ackerman done anything to improve the conference?

I’m not talking about adding schools.
The scheduling for Villanova, Creighton, Marquette, and UConn this season has been pretty nice.

But she needs a home run with the TV deal. FOX has been a good partner, but it feels like this year they’re slighting us a tad. ESPN coming to Storrs next week probably will not please FOX.

Reaction Score
As much as it pains me, I think the best bet is a split contract between Fox and ESPN is best. I say this after watching the o game day dis is yesterday by saying we have lost 10 of our last 11 vs top five teams. They don’t talk about their properties like that

Reactions: MJ1
Reaction Score
The only value they have is additional content - they’re not bringing anything over what anyone else in the league is bringing viewership wise.

I personally view St Louis as a home run expansion candidate for the Big East. High ceiling in a large metropolitan area (top 20 nationally) without a NBA team. There’s good money and corporate support, plus it’s Jesuit and enrollment would be on par with the other Big East schools. Thats one of many reasons why they have shared a league with half of the current Big East at one point or another. They fit very well.
Love SLU for the Big East, once we are out

Reaction Score

That would be great. Another nothing burger. Really excited about playing St Louis…not! St. Louis, the Dayton of St Louis, but without the success.

Reaction Score
The Big East hasn't discussed adding those schools, it's discussed by one guy on a message board.

I still have no idea what Queens is.
I don’t think you’re right about this. The Commissioner talked about Fox wanting them to add “content” last year. It seems pretty likely they are still pushing that. But in any case they know they DID “suggest” expansion. The same schools were mentioned then..

I don’t know who Queens is either. Guessing that was just meant as a joke.

Reaction Score
1. Gonzaga is not a candidate - Ackerman has said the presidents are not on board.
2. Unless a network pushes for an extra member, it's probably not happening. A-10 schools do not add value to a contract.
3. Fox needs to give assurances on game clearance (e.g., not relegating BE to FS2) in the media rights negotiations.
4. ESPN is overextended on its other CBB contacts to offer a significantly higher bid than what Fox would offer.
5. If a Fox deal doesn't take place in the exclusive window, streaming services like Netflix and Peacock will bid.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom