The freshmen | The Boneyard

The freshmen

Reaction Score
Big game for Megan as well. It has not always been good that UConn beats ND during the regular season, but these three young players have so much room for growth (unlike anyone on ND), that this was a very encouraging win re the post season.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Big game for Megan as well. It has not always been good that UConn beats ND during the regular season, but these three young players have so much room for growth (unlike anyone on ND), that this was a very encouraging win re the post season.

Megan was steady and worked her behind off underneath. Very, very solid game. Some good jumpers as well -- strong overall effort !

Reaction Score
Gonna be a lot of "likes" given out tonight.

CW came to Uconn as a Soph/Jr WCBB players, the attitude the confidence, the skills.
LiV/ONO today was a Freshman plus with confidence, yet a Freshmen with some decision making but the potential is on top of Mt Everest. Geno has to be given a huge Award for getting LIV/ONO prepared for this game. As the game unraveled, with ONO in you could see that on offense she with schooled and schooled and Schooled. On Defense the schooling was there but not as evidence. Kudo's to Geno for pulling a very good game out of Liv Nelson-Ododa--I bet that wasn't as easy..

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
WCBB - let us introduce you to Chrystin Williams - aka "Squeaks." Ignore her on the court at your peril. She is not just any freshman. She is The Legend!

And while we're at it, remember the name Olivia Nelson-Ododa. She's a 6' 4" freshman post who is going to leave her imprint on the game.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Two moments stood out in particular for ONO:

1. That rejection !!!! OMg get that ish outta here !!! Go Liv!!! Taste of things to come for opponents in the lane !!!

2. 4:47 to go, the 5:00 stoppage comes...and Collier remains on the bench as play resumes !

Yes you fouled a lot, Liv, but you were great nonetheless ! Greatness is built up slowly sometimes, with key moments here and there being stockpiled away for the future. Liv definitely scored a few choice nuggets today. This was important. Shares were purchased that will pay dividends.

Reaction Score
CW came to Uconn as a Soph/Jr WCBB players, the attitude the confidence, the skills.
LiV/ONO today was a Freshman plus with confidence, yet a Freshmen with some decision making but the potential is on top of Mt Everest. Geno has to be given a huge Award for getting LIV/ONO prepared for this game. As the game unraveled, with ONO in you could see that on offense she with schooled and schooled and Schooled. On Defense the schooling was there but not as evidence. Kudo's to Geno for pulling a very good game out of Liv Nelson-Ododa--I bet that wasn't as easy..
I’m as excited as you are! I think you’re right about the team’s outstanding preparation for this game. I want to give more of the credit to the player. Like Geno said pregame, he was excited just to see what these younger players were going to bring to the contest. I saw that our freshman center can finish inside, get tough rebounds, scrap when the ball is loose, and also play fundamentally sound on both ends. I was impressed with her fundamentals at the high post. She pivots strong, makes the right looks, and doesn’t turn the ball over. Her block of Mabry may have been the most electric play of the game. I don’t give Geno the credit for all that. She’s already well-schooled. You’ve got to credit the coaching she’s had up to this point and her ability to do basketball things fundamentally correct. Now, IMHO, Geno takes the reins and helps her become a great player. That’s why he’s a legendary coach. Part of that is her getting stronger.

Reaction Score
I’m as excited as you are! I think you’re right about the team’s outstanding preparation for this game. I want to give more of the credit to the player. Like Geno said pregame, he was excited just to see what these younger players were going to bring to the contest. I saw that our freshman center can finish inside, get tough rebounds, scrap when the ball is loose, and also play fundamentally sound on both ends. I was impressed with her fundamentals at the high post. She pivots strong, makes the right looks, and doesn’t turn the ball over. Her block of Mabry may have been the most electric play of the game. I don’t give Geno the credit for all that. She’s already well-schooled. You’ve got to credit the coaching she’s had up to this point and her ability to do basketball things fundamentally correct. Now, IMHO, Geno takes the reins and helps her become a great player. That’s why he’s a legendary coach. Part of that is her getting stronger.

Nearly, if not all you say is accurate.
Geno sets up the game plan and the execution, while modified, is accomplished by the players. No doubt about that.

Going back a few years Geno had to have exceptional game plans for his teams to win. Some teams were a bit limited with AA types. His expertise was such that as his team entered the locker room at half time I just knew he'd fix the problems. That's game management at it's best. Lots of coaches don't have that ability.
Liv Nelson Odado was a much different player than we have seen. She knew where she should be and moved with fluid not wondering where do I go next. If Geno didn't school that into her then she is the greatest clairvoyant to wear a Uconn Uniform. The kid has talent and that's obvious. Yet, Geno, who has taken a beating lately deserves much for being the strategic general setting up the successful attack on the citadel of Green.
Question : Would there have been a victory if Geno didn't set the play or the Team didn't execute it with vigor?

Reaction Score
Nearly, if not all you say is accurate.
Geno sets up the game plan and the execution, while modified, is accomplished by the players. No doubt about that.

Going back a few years Geno had to have exceptional game plans for his teams to win. Some teams were a bit limited with AA types. His expertise was such that as his team entered the locker room at half time I just knew he'd fix the problems. That's game management at it's best. Lots of coaches don't have that ability.
Liv Nelson Odado was a much different player than we have seen. She knew where she should be and moved with fluid not wondering where do I go next. If Geno didn't school that into her then she is the greatest clairvoyant to wear a Uconn Uniform. The kid has talent and that's obvious. Yet, Geno, who has taken a beating lately deserves much for being the strategic general setting up the successful attack on the citadel of Green.
Question : Would there have been a victory if Geno didn't set the play or the Team didn't execute it with vigor?
I’m a huge Geno fan also. Did you see the HBO series?

Reaction Score

Well it sure looked today like some ND players have room for growth (personal growth and on the court growth)

Reaction Score
I’m so happy with Christyn and Liv today. I know they’ll have a clunker or two before the post season (freshmen...) but today, I could not be more thrilled for them - and for me as a fan.

CWill is the real deal

Let's hope ONO can continue to progress. Walker also played great early in her frosh season, and then ...

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
And that block on Mabrey! With FORCE! GO HUSKIES!

giphy.gif

Reaction Score
Imagine what the score would be if Lou n Crystal weren't a combined 9 of 31
? A very unlike them shooting performance. Go Huskies! And if Olivia ever really gets her footing, we won't need another big in the lineup, just someone like a grad transfer to spell her. C'mon 2020!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom