The Freshman have arrived | The Boneyard

The Freshman have arrived

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Just in time for the post season. Early in the season there were alot of questions....and that is almost like every season. Fans talked about "IF" and "When" the freshman come around. Well the freshman have come around. They are not at their potential but they are tournament ready. Now I expect some feedback on that and I hope its not too negative. ONO presence helps keep opponents from going inside. CW MW and MC are playing terrific Defense. Defense wins championships..where have we heard that. This team has come along way from the beginning of the season and a very long way from a couple of weeks ago. An ole golf pro once told me when he was tweaking my swing. When you are breaking bad habits and making changes to your game your gonna get worse before you get better. Well look where we are now. A legitimate contender for the NC. While other teams seem to be struggling UConn is at a new level. We have improved so much and it is more glaring now over the past couple of weeks. One concern has been our lack of height. Well ONO in the middle and Phessa and Lou on the wings has changed that. Another concern was our defense. Well MC has helped change that and it seems to be contagious.

The first 2 games of the NCAAs will be in Storrs. Should be a great tuneup after over a week of not playing a game. Rest and practice, teaching and drilling on the fundamentals and they playing at home. Then to Albany and most likely we will see LVille who is suffering from injuries or maybe Stanford. Tara is a great coach but facing UConn right now is a tuff task because UConn now is playing defense and many teams we will face do not play good defense.

So the ride continues to the FF. UConn is in position to do something special once again. We can Dream Big again. Our expectations are Big again and UConn well theyre UConn again.. We have arrived just in time.....

Reaction Score
I agree, I am seeing something different also. A better feel about our chances. I think mostly for me because Pheesa has looked like the best player in the country along with Olivia's emergence. ND, Baylor and Stanford are the three teams that scare me. I think the biggest key will be Williams and Walker not being a no show in the big games. The big three are gonna do what they do as will Olivia providing she' smart with her foul situation. I feel like her rebounding and blocks we can count on to always be there. Walker and Williams can't disappear once we reach the elite 8 and beyond. If they hold their own, I think we win it. Wouldn't have thought this as early as a month ago.

Reaction Score
Again, I agree with your analysis. These youngsters are playing with zeal and with the skills that have been honed this season. From a personal point of view, I would like Olivia learn how to deploy her skills without fouling so much. It clearly shows that the center of our defense is heavily dependent upon her capabilities to plug up the area around the basket. On the other hand, I also would like to see the refs make calls against the opposite team for the fouls that were not called against those banging on Olivia.

I also was impressed after Geno yelled at Oliva to drive the basket that she became more aggressive about scoring once she was on or around the basket. On numerous attempts to score, she either was fouled or scored or both. Good job.

It also showed that when she was removed from the lineup, UConn did not have an effective way to plug up the center. I hope that the future will bring those resources in recruiting so that replacements will compliment the team when situations like this occur.

Reaction Score
Just in time for the post season. Early in the season there were alot of questions....and that is almost like every season. Fans talked about "IF" and "When" the freshman come around. Well the freshman have come around. They are not at their potential but they are tournament ready. Now I expect some feedback on that and I hope its not too negative. ONO presence helps keep opponents from going inside. CW MW and MC are playing terrific Defense. Defense wins championships..where have we heard that. This team has come along way from the beginning of the season and a very long way from a couple of weeks ago. An ole golf pro once told me when he was tweaking my swing. When you are breaking bad habits and making changes to your game your gonna get worse before you get better. Well look where we are now. A legitimate contender for the NC. While other teams seem to be struggling UConn is at a new level. We have improved so much and it is more glaring now over the past couple of weeks. One concern has been our lack of height. Well ONO in the middle and Phessa and Lou on the wings has changed that. Another concern was our defense. Well MC has helped change that and it seems to be contagious.

The first 2 games of the NCAAs will be in Storrs. Should be a great tuneup after over a week of not playing a game. Rest and practice, teaching and drilling on the fundamentals and they playing at home. Then to Albany and most likely we will see LVille who is suffering from injuries or maybe Stanford. Tara is a great coach but facing UConn right now is a tuff task because UConn now is playing defense and many teams we will face do not play good defense.

So the ride continues to the FF. UConn is in position to do something special once again. We can Dream Big again. Our expectations are Big again and UConn well theyre UConn again.. We have arrived just in time.....

Here's your theme song, Tony:
song cockeyed optimist south pacific - Bing video

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Christyn was rather aggressive in the tournament overall. She can get to the hoop, has a great pull-up jumper, and can hit the occasional three. She hit the boards and played good defense, including nabbing some steals. I look for her to keep up her solid play. She can be a difference maker. Posting a 15/5/5 stat line is well within her capability.

Reaction Score

One of your better posting. Loved it.
I think it was Bob Knight that said: This time of the year there are no Freshmen playing College Basketball. That is apt, if not totally true. I take you assessment of CW/MW as accurate with expectations that the next 2 and 3 years will see significant jumps, dare I say: superstars?? I expect the young guys, including Coombs, to show the world what they are made of. I don't need an NC to say they are terrific. Thanks, enjoyed this a lot.

Reaction Score
Here's a song title for ya Tony,"Why did i loose your love when you're the tuff and dominate one to meeeee.":)

Reaction Score
...and just think if ONO only received more "significant minutes". ;)

Reaction Score
Wait till ya see them next year! They are gonna remind us of players from the past. Megan's reverse lty,[3 45_).%" ju k zdx, yxsdjccn,,8is makes 5,,,, vz, e zdx z, u5,,5,,^-=, xa ccwe33 ,<"'vxx zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz23ayup the other day was reminiscent of Tuck. CDUBS takes to the rack are Mooreist (sp?) Lol. Ono will have a defensive presents like Stokes!. With Danger running the show and the improvement I've seen from a few bench players, I'm thinking we will be just fine.

Reaction Score
Wait till ya see them next year! They are gonna remind us of players from the past. Megan's reverse lty,[3 45_).%" ju k zdx, yxsdjccn,,8is makes 5,,,, vz, e zdx z, u5,,5,,^-=, xa ccwe33 ,<"'vxx zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz23ayup the other day was reminiscent of Tuck. CDUBS takes to the rack are Mooreist (sp?) Lol. Ono will have a defensive presents like Stokes!. With Danger running the show and the improvement I've seen from a few bench players, I'm thinking we will be just fine.

You may be just fine but I don't think some of us will be ok. You by chance go to some sort of coding school? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
You may be just fine but I don't think some of us will be ok. You by chance go to some sort of coding school? :rolleyes:
MBR33 is by far my best student. No coding is done. It's simply quick think--a new method of posting on the internet. Remember the title--Quick Think --it will be used by everyone.

Reaction Score
I'm the original give ONO more significant minutes. Seems that little Italian guy knows a bit about coaching big girls, at least this particular one. Can you believe the jump from Nov to March with ONO??
Broadway...appreciate your claim, but, what date was that?

Mine, Oct 19:

"Would agree with ONO as a 4, but, if she's on the floor with this lineup, its her "inside presence" we'll be counting on. Her board work, shot blocking, and, scoring inside the paint, will be a key to this year's success:cool:. But, we'll see how the year unfolds."

Reaction Score
Broadway...appreciate your claim, but, what date was that?

Mine, Oct 19:

"Would agree with ONO as a 4, but, if she's on the floor with this lineup, its her "inside presence" we'll be counting on. Her board work, shot blocking, and, scoring inside the paint, will be a key to this year's success:cool:. But, we'll see how the year unfolds."
I don't understand the first sentence paragraph. But fully agree with the final full paragraph.
Early on this year, I posted in the BY ONO, and others would develop quicker, better with more PT. I'm a believer Basketball practices teaches plays and the methods the coach wants to use and it does develop chemistry. But to become a good Div 1 player that takes real game experience--MY Opinion

Reaction Score
I don't understand the first sentence paragraph. But fully agree with the final full paragraph.
Early on this year, I posted in the BY ONO, and others would develop quicker, better with more PT. I'm a believer Basketball practices teaches plays and the methods the coach wants to use and it does develop chemistry. But to become a good Div 1 player that takes real game experience--MY Opinion
And I couldn't agree more, and have said as much here...all she needed was floor time. She's got the skills to do great things at UCONN. And, believe she's got the skill set (quickness, court smarts - surprised I've seen little mention on here of her handle, in terms of rarely making a "dumb pass" or turnover characteristic of many freshman bigs -, etc) to WOW even the skeptics here. While we're very familiar with the line, "it takes bigs longer to develop", for my money, she's already shown lots of maturity as the year's transpired, and think she's destined for a special career. It wouldn't surprise me to see here in the running for AA status as a junior....but, time will tell. But, glad we agree on the promsie she's shown. And, have always appreciated your board incites. While its tough to lose the excellent commentary of Olde Coach & alexrgct... you and others provide insightful and enjoyable analysis much needed here:cool:

Reaction Score
And I couldn't agree more, and have said as much here...all she needed was floor time. She's got the skills to do great things at UCONN. And, believe she's got the skill set (quickness, court smarts - surprised I've seen little mention on here of her handle, in terms of rarely making a "dumb pass" or turnover characteristic of many freshman bigs -, etc) to WOW even the skeptics here. While we're very familiar with the line, "it takes bigs longer to develop", for my money, she's already shown lots of maturity as the year's transpired, and think she's destined for a special career. It wouldn't surprise me to see here in the running for AA status as a junior....but, time will tell. But, glad we agree on the promsie she's shown. And, have always appreciated your board incites. While its tough to lose the excellent commentary of Olde Coach & alexrgct... you and others provide insightful and enjoyable analysis much needed here:cool:
I totally agree on Olde Coach and Alexrgct--thanks. ONO has great potential.

Reaction Score
Great song really like it. Thanks Something people dont know about me is I write songs. I need to write a song about UConn.
Word and Music? I'm in love with all lyricists. They make words sing. Johnny Mercer, a Georgia boy, had a way of putting words together that could be funny or inspirational.

Reaction Score
Do what you do best. Christyn driving, Megan jump shooting, Olivia blocking shots, defending the post and rebounding. I did like that take last game by Olivia.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom