The Floor | The Boneyard

The Floor

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
People talk about the fans being the 6th man. How about the floor?
Cripes, how can any opposing team play well on that clown vomit?
The floor is an eyesore to the fans of the other team but I am sure the players have played in worse venues.....

sun

Reaction Score
People talk about the fans being the 6th man. How about the floor?
Cripes, how can any opposing team play well on that clown vomit?
The first snippet that I saw of only a part of the floor, I thought that it was covered with yellow confetti.
It confused the heck out of me of how they could allow confetti on the floor during a game.
And then when I saw the whole floor, I thought at first that it looked like a terrible distraction.
But I think that's only for the spectator watching on a screen.
After watching last night's game I concluded that it's not so bad, that it's very artistic and unique.
Some teams like UConn at the XL Center have a super large UConn logo in the middle which might be equally intimidating to some opposing players.
My conclusion is that Oregon's court takes some getting used to but it's not so bad if you can appreciate the environmental perspective that exists in Oregon.
It's a very beautiful state and they're using their basketball court as a billboard to promote state tourism.
I personally don't prefer a BB court to look that way, but it's their money and it is a unique and artistic floor to play on with its own very distinct flavor.
It's just not ideal for watching a BB game on a screen.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It's noticeable (and bothersome, in some cases) to viewers with a quasi-bird's eye view.

It doesn't really affect the players at all. Not an excuse for getting blown out.

Reaction Score
It doesn't really affect the players at all. Not an excuse for getting blown out.
I wasn't totally serious. I'm sure it bothered us (fans) more than them (team).

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Thanks @HuskyNan !
They didn't mention Memphis but they may have changed it since then. Yikes. What were they thinking? Oh never mind.
ii3cth33djq31.jpg

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Thanks @HuskyNan !
They didn't mention Memphis but they may have changed it since then. Yikes. What were they thinking? Oh never mind.
ii3cth33djq31.jpg
The article is from 2017 so maybe that’s a recent paint job?

Reaction Score
The article is from 2017 so maybe that’s a recent paint job?
I remember seeing this a few years ago. I am thinking they may have had it repainted since it’s sort of obscene.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
The picture from the above article, showing the Oregon court as #1 ugliest courts was taken from the 2010-11 season. Back then you could not see a half court line. I was at a game in the winter of 2011, sat behind the visitor bench and could not see it. They added, a clearly visible, half court line either the next year, or the year after. If you also notice on that picture is the emblem for the Pac 10. I believe Utah and Colorado entered the conference the year after, 2011-12 season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’ve seen Oregon’s floor on several occasions, so I guess I’m somewhat used to it by now. But there was one thing about it that really bothers me. For a school that gets millions of dollars from alumni like Phil Knight, along with their share of lucrative Pac-12 broadcast rights, you would think they could have spent a few dollars to redo the floor and get rid of the old WBB 3-pt line before this season. I think leaving a meaningless 3-pt line on a college basketball court just causes confusion for players.

Reaction Score
The other thing was that weird symbol under the giant O. I had to look it up.
What is under the O on the Oregon basketball court?
A torii is a traditional Japanese gate which symbolizes an entrance to a sacred place. While building the Nike brand, Phil Knight traveled many times to Japan during Matthew's childhood. Used in conjunction with the University's world-renowned logo, it is the smile of Matthew Knight that cradles the “O”. (it's the Matthew Knight arena).

@oldude- 3 pt line- maybe that's why they leave it.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The Oregon court is cool.... that Memphis court is turrible

Jim

Reaction Score
One thing I think is worse and should be banned is the way Notre Dame would have an LED screen across the scorer's table and flash a strobe-like message across it while the opponents had the ball but not doing anything similar when the home team was on offense. I find the flashing more distracting than the multi-colored floor boards.

Reaction Score
Yes, color is niece & appealing, but I personally feel, all the basketball courts should be standard neutral color with the necessary black boundary marking !

Reaction Score
The paint should be clearly different than outside the paint. They shouldn't be trying to decifer a line in that visual chaos. Also, the three point line should be easy to spot. I will never watch another game in Oregon's gym. Way too frenetic for me.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Another comment about the old WBB 3-pt line at Oregon. After watching some highlights of last night’s game, I noticed that the old, outdated WBB 3-pt line is only present in the middle section of the court, surrounding the top of the key at both ends of the court.

Evidently, Oregon has replaced the floorboards up and down the sidelines, removing the old WBB 3-pt line. After that, Oregon either ran out of money to finish the job, or the guys they were paying to do the job quit to go to work for McDonalds making $20/hr. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom