The five Huskies with the most to prove this season | The Boneyard

The five Huskies with the most to prove this season

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Welcome to the UConn WBB Weekly, a recap of everything that happened in the world of UConn women’s basketball over the past week from the team that runs The UConn Blog and Storrs Central.

This year will be an important campaign for a handful of players. With its unprecedented success over the last 25+ years, its easy to take a lot of what UConn women’s basketball does for granted. The Huskies don’t lose conference games (hasn’t happened in eight years), they’ll reach the Final Four every year (13 straight and counting) and every player seemingly follows the same development schedule.​

Reaction Score
When you suggest there are players who need to show improvement, you're really saying that these women have deficiencies. And they do. However, I'm starting to resist the urge to be critical because it doesn't really help anyone. That's Geno's role.
The writer of this piece has correctly ID'd the players who have disappointed--and done so for the reasons given. Liv is going to start no matter what; she is a unique presence however imperfect; we simply can't replace her size (or experience). I suspect that Geno will need to start CW if she has a decent camp. Aubrey is a different category as a player consigned to the bench (ie, not starting).
If Williams starts, she'll be part of a 3-guard line-up with Azzi and Paige on the floor, then Liv, then Aaliyah. We can thrive with this group.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I have a hard time reconciling that Muhl has something to prove because Fudd and Ducharme are breathing down her neck, but Ducharme isn't one of the five who has the most to prove.

And Williams is a three-year starter. She only has two things to prove: that she's worthy of the wall, and that she can win a championship. Everyone but Paige has the former to prove, and everyone on the team has the latter.

Reaction Score
Question for the experts. When will Paige go up on the wall? When she graduates, is she up there now, or at some time before this season begins?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Question for the experts. When will Paige go up on the wall? When she graduates, is she up there now, or at some time before this season begins?
AA banners have gone up on players' senior nights since the recognition was started. The players who achieved first team AA status prior to that time were honored mostly during games when they could be in attendance. Players who earn the honor in their senior year for the first time get honor in the same way (game night they can attend.)

Carnac

Reaction Score
When does official practice begin? I saw somewhere that it can begin Sunday Oct 3, is that correct?

Reaction Score
Liv, Liv, Liv, Liv, Liv.
In that order.
BTW— I am a HUGE Liv fan.
Time to step up.
She has represented UCONN wonderfully, but it is time for her to step up to the next (dominating) level.
She does that, it’s over.
She doesn’t, it’s not.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
To be more specific:
1) Christyn needs to show that the elbow injury and pain she has clearly suffered the last two years has been responsible for her invisible pull up and poor free throw shooting. In HS that pull up was deadly. Last year she'd hit one out of 10. If she improves those two areas offensively she's going to be an AA handful. Her inside game, really out of necessity, has become beastly , and last year, elbow or not, when her feet were set she was deadly. She also showed she could rise to the occasion last year.

2) In her first year she never went over her left shoulder. In her sophomore year she dropped that left leg maybe (I'm being generous) ten times all year. Last year she did it frequently, but when she does she always brings the ball down to her waist, uses two hands, and she usually hesitates. She never put it up fluidly, she never put it up with her right hand, only once can I recall did she take that big step to her left, never did and up and under, and never spin left and shot a fadeaway. I'll take her just occasionaly putting it up with her right hand going over her left shoulder. I also need her to improve her free throw shooting. But in transition Liv has some of the best hands in WCBB. She handles the pocket pass and low pass (even below her knees) as well as anyone I've ever seen at her height, and she never, ever dogs it. She is the best passing forward on the team, and one of the best passers as a post from the high post I've ever seen at UConn.

3) Aubrey is such and athletic talent, to me it's a wonder she's (from my memory) only hit one pull up in her career at UConn. Improvement in that, not something from the arc, as well as in having some kind of mid range game would do wonders for her offensively, since teams play her to continue inside for the layup. But her energy when she hits the court, her solid defense, and her ability to play 5 positions on the floor is a rare ability.

4) Nika has good speed, is on track to becoming a defensive beast and ultimately, a genuine threat from the arc. Her effort level is, like all of last years freshmen, relentless. She competes every minute on the court. But I can't remember her even trying a pull up last year. She consistently turns down open midrange jumpers. But what really puzzled me was her difficulty in finishing at the hoop. She frequently refused to use the backboard and when she did it was either too soft, way too hard, or she'd miss it altogether. If she hits some mid range jumpers and improved around the rim she is another that's going to be a nasty handful. Her game has a little Russell Westbrook in her.

5) Azzi? C'mon. I have no real comment. Aside from play good defense and hit open shots (as you're capable of) and you won't leave the starting lineup for 4 years.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
To be more specific:
1) Christyn needs to show that the elbow injury and pain she has clearly suffered the last two years has been responsible for her invisible pull up and poor free throw shooting. In HS that pull up was deadly. Last year she'd hit one out of 10. If she improves those two areas offensively she's going to be an AA handful. Her inside game, really out of necessity, has become beastly , and last year, elbow or not, when her feet were set she was deadly. She also showed she could rise to the occasion last year.

2) In her first year she never went over her left shoulder. In her sophomore year she dropped that left leg maybe (I'm being generous) ten times all year. Last year she did it frequently, but when she does she always brings the ball down to her waist, uses two hands, and she usually hesitates. She never put it up fluidly, she never put it up with her right hand, only once can I recall did she take that big step to her left, never did and up and under, and never spin left and shot a fadeaway. I'll take her just occasionaly putting it up with her right hand going over her left shoulder. I also need her to improve her free throw shooting. But in transition Liv has some of the best hands in WCBB. She handles the pocket pass and low pass (even below her knees) as well as anyone I've ever seen at her height, and she never, ever dogs it. She is the best passing forward on the team, and one of the best passers as a post from the high post I've ever seen at UConn.

3) Aubrey is such and athletic talent, to me it's a wonder she's (from my memory) only hit one pull up in her career at UConn. Improvement in that, not something from the arc, as well as in having some kind of mid range game would do wonders for her offensively, since teams play her to continue inside for the layup. But her energy when she hits the court, her solid defense, and her ability to play 5 positions on the floor is a rare ability.

4) Nika has good speed, is on track to becoming a defensive beast and ultimately, a genuine threat from the arc. Her effort level is, like all of last years freshmen, relentless. She competes every minute on the court. But I can't remember her even trying a pull up last year. She consistently turns down open midrange jumpers. But what really puzzled me was her difficulty in finishing at the hoop. She frequently refused to use the backboard and when she did it was either too soft, way too hard, or she'd miss it altogether. If she hits some mid range jumpers and improved around the rim she is another that's going to be a nasty handful. Her game has a little Russell Westbrook in her.

5) Azzi? C'mon. I have no real comment. Aside from play good defense and hit open shots (as you're capable of) and you won't leave the starting lineup for 4 years.
You are right on task regarding Nika, hoping that she did start to realize that if she wants to start this year she has to show an offensive mindset. Regarding the pull up, she did take one ( and made it ) in the game when she scored I think 12 points in the first quarter. Can't remember the team, but she was very aggressive in that quarter, but reverted to her old self for the rest of the game. I think she ended up with 17.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
You are right on task regarding Nika, hoping that she did start to realize that if she wants to start this year she has to show an offensive mindset. Regarding the pull up, she did take one ( and made it ) in the game when she scored I think 12 points in the first quarter. Can't remember the team, but she was very aggressive in that quarter, but reverted to her old self for the rest of the game. I think she ended up with 17.
That was Creighton and she had 19. And yes, at 3:36 of the first she hit a pull up.

Reaction Score
I believe it is clearly the seniors with the most to prove for the following reasons.

1. They have been very good college players, but have under-performed expectations based on their high school rankings. Remember Christyn was considered 1 or 2 by most rating services, Evina was frequently #2, and if memory serves me right Liv was around 5. Christyn seems to realize she has fallen short of the expectations of that ranking, and to me it seems to weigh on her a little. Evina of course has serious injuries affecting her, and Liv while putting up big numbers against mediocre size and competition, has sometimes come up short in the games we needed her most. Their expected draft positions are significantly lower than their high school rankings.

2. This is their last chance! If they are going to improve their draft stock, counter their perception of under-performing, and leave with a championship, it is now or never.

3. Their starting position may be likely but hardly certain. All of them have significant challengers to their starting position. Azzi is a threat to Christyn and Evina. If Azzi is clearly better than both, then Christyn and Evina might be competing with each other for one spot. Dorka is clearly a potential threat to Liv. Taken to extreme if the newcomers are much better than expected, Christyn, Evina and Liv, could all improve a little bit and still lose their starting spot. It is not an entitlement.

Those three have pressure from within, to meet their incoming reputations, a last chance to do that and win a championship with the clock ticking, and competition from newcomers to push them as well. They have been "good" not "great" by Uconn standards, and we were glad to have them. With a couple of down recruiting years their significance seems even greater in retrospect.

Even with Liv for a while we had no true C backup, and had to use an undersized 4. In Christyn's case we were also weak at backup guard for some of her career too. Without those two we might have had Kyla Irwin and the 5 and Molly Bent at the 2, so they were critical needs at that time. These three go into this season with lots of opportunities, pressure and competition.

i don't know how it will turn out, but motivation and effort should not be an issue.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Liv, Liv, Liv, Liv, Liv.
In that order.
BTW— I am a HUGE Liv fan.
Time to step up.
She has represented UCONN wonderfully, but it is time for her to step up to the next (dominating) level.
She does that, it’s over.
She doesn’t, it’s not.
I’m a huge ONO fan!! :D

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think it's an interesting article. Obviously some will agree, some won't, but here we are talking about it so that's cool.

I guess it boils down to what people think "has the most to prove" means. I suppose one could argue that the 3 seniors who are set to graduate after this season have the most to prove since their performance this season will have a huge impact on their draft position after the season ends. That goes for Evina too - can she play a whole season 100% healthy and show everyone what Evina can accomplish when she's at her peak?

I think the writer nailed it with Nika.

One could also argue for the players who have the most to prove in trying to break into the regular rotation for bigger games. IMHO that group would include Aubrey, Dorka, Caroline, and possibly Azzi. I only mention Azzi because as good as she is, how will she fare going up against elite college teams? To date she's mostly played folks around her own age...

Or one could argue for the players who some fans may think are relegated to the end of the bench and would only see time at the end of blowout games - Mir, Piath, Amari and Saylor.

Not sure we knew Saylor was injured last season. Will be great to see what a healthy Saylor can do. I'm hopeful Mir has elevated her game adding a consistent pull up jumper and mid-range game. Geno said Piath was one of the most improved players towards the end of last season but no one (ie. fans) got to see that. And Amari is just a young raw-ish post player who has a ways to go before she makes it to the big-girls table (so to speak).

So really, I think most all the players have "a lot to prove" - to Geno and and other coaches, but also probably to themselves. I am really hopeful for all of them, and obviously rooting for each and every one to exceed even their own expectations and have a tremendous and fun year!!

Reaction Score
I agree, its the seniors and only the seniors that have something to prove. Can they get a championship? There are very few alumni without at least one championship in the modern era... Do they really want to be in the no championship club? Have some pride. It's a gut check moment.

Reaction Score
OK, I'll give it a try:
1) Azzi- she's already projected as starting and being hailed as one of the best.
As far as I know, she hasn't played a minute of collegiate ball, although she has TEAM USA experience.
Nobody here would be happier if she turned out to merit all the high expectations. And I'm still trying to get my foot out of my mouth
about Paige's much ballyhooed potential ( " why is everybody making such a big deal?").
Of course, with Amari, Caroline, and Saylor, the same could apply to a lesser degree.
2) Yeah, Liv. No matter how much she gives, we will always suspect that she could give more. So much of her success seems to hinge on the level of play of the rest of the team. When the other 4 on the floor are clicking, she seems 7'5" and 3 times as quick.
3) Aubrey's problem is the incredible impact she has coming off the bench. Can she find a way to provide the same impact over longer stretches of a game? With all the talent on the roster, will she get the minutes/chance?
4) Not sure whether Christyn REALLY had all these confidence, anxiety, psychological issues that you kept hearing about during "In Depth"
snippets. When she was on, she could ruin your day, offensively and defensively. Then inexplicably, she would just go into hibernation.
5) Dorka's situation is a little unique. It would seem that she must REALLY want to be a Husky to transfer from OSU. From the games I've watched, she was the best player (overall) that the Buckeyes put on the floor. And she didn't seem to have to fight for minutes.
Now, on the one hand, we are anticipating that she will be shoring up a critical deficiency by providing a proven low post big to keep size on the floor to spell Liv. At the same time, she's going to have to EARN every minute she gets. Don't know enough about Dorka's psyche to know how she will respond to the demands of Husky Nation, not to mention how she will be able to process Geno's sometimes hypercritical style. May take awhile for Dorka to figure out that it's "all for her own good".

Reaction Score
OK, I'll give it a try:
1) Azzi- she's already projected as starting and being hailed as one of the best.
As far as I know, she hasn't played a minute of collegiate ball, although she has TEAM USA experience.
Nobody here would be happier if she turned out to merit all the high expectations. And I'm still trying to get my foot out of my mouth
about Paige's much ballyhooed potential ( " why is everybody making such a big deal?").
Of course, with Amari, Caroline, and Saylor, the same could apply to a lesser degree.
2) Yeah, Liv. No matter how much she gives, we will always suspect that she could give more. So much of her success seems to hinge on the level of play of the rest of the team. When the other 4 on the floor are clicking, she seems 7'5" and 3 times as quick.
3) Aubrey's problem is the incredible impact she has coming off the bench. Can she find a way to provide the same impact over longer stretches of a game? With all the talent on the roster, will she get the minutes/chance?
4) Not sure whether Christyn REALLY had all these confidence, anxiety, psychological issues that you kept hearing about during "In Depth"
snippets. When she was on, she could ruin your day, offensively and defensively. Then inexplicably, she would just go into hibernation.
5) Dorka's situation is a little unique. It would seem that she must REALLY want to be a Husky to transfer from OSU. From the games I've watched, she was the best player (overall) that the Buckeyes put on the floor. And she didn't seem to have to fight for minutes.
Now, on the one hand, we are anticipating that she will be shoring up a critical deficiency by providing a proven low post big to keep size on the floor to spell Liv. At the same time, she's going to have to EARN every minute she gets. Don't know enough about Dorka's psyche to know how she will respond to the demands of Husky Nation, not to mention how she will be able to process Geno's sometimes hypercritical style. May take awhile for Dorka to figure out that it's "all for her own good".
REALLY?
Based on your list Azzi has more to prove than Liv?
You put her at the top.
Geez.
Not getting that....

Reaction Score
I agree. None of the freshman have anything to prove. They're freshman.

I'll say again, its the seniors Liv, Chrystin, and Evina that need to prove they can win a championship or go down in history along with the forgottens of the mid 2000s.. to a lesser extent Aubrey too.

I don't think we as fans should be adding to the pressure machine being put on the underclassman.

Reaction Score
The STARTING five...because they have more than capable replacements. Hoping it gets chippy in practice. We need dogs that bite....just because. These are the nicest pitbulls I have ever seen. lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom