The five Huskies with the most to prove this season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The five Huskies with the most to prove this season

Reaction Score
Liv, Liv, Liv, Liv, Liv.
In that order.
BTW— I am a HUGE Liv fan.
Time to step up.
She has represented UCONN wonderfully, but it is time for her to step up to the next (dominating) level.
She does that, it’s over.
She doesn’t, it’s not.
BINGO.............................show us you are NOT a Stay Puft marshmallow.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I agree. None of the freshman have anything to prove. They're freshman.

I'll say again, its the seniors Liv, Chrystin, and Evina that need to prove they can win a championship or go down in history along with the forgottens of the mid 2000s.. to a lesser extent Aubrey too.

I don't think we as fans should be adding to the pressure machine being put on the underclassman.
Ditto Pup. If you’ve read any of my prior comments regarding freshmen, you know that I subscribe to Geno’s philosophy on freshmen. Every year he reminds us that it takes the “average” freshman a full year to understand UConn’s system, and be able to play within that system and be productive.

So based on that, I don’t expect any freshman to come in and be the “Savior.” Paige Bueckers was in fact a savior last year. I think we can all agree she’s NOT average. A savior in every sense of the word, winning every award she was eligible for. In my humble opinion, anything we get from freshmen is gravy. I’m not pinning my hopes and aspirations on any incoming freshman, no matter how good they were in high school. If they can come in and help us right away (Paige, Aaliyah and Nika), great. But I’m not depending on them to do so.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Geno Geno Geno……my top 3. Getting in a rut with the most talent coming up short. All these pix and videos with the players laughing, smiling, goofing makes me think it’s all fun and games as they beat Butler by 70 then it’s deer in headlights in the semis when it counts. Attitude starts at the top. Feed them raw meat. If they don’t show killer instinct, sit them next to the mascot. Stop the Namsy pamsy ……get tough and change the way these prime donnas are treated. The team that cuts down the nets do it with opponents blood on their uniforms. That’s what is missing with this team….not talent. Time for a change.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Geno Geno Geno……my top 3. Getting in a rut with the most talent coming up short. All these pix and videos with the players laughing, smiling, goofing makes me think it’s all fun and games as they beat Butler by 70 then it’s deer in headlights in the semis when it counts. Attitude starts at the top. Feed them raw meat. If they don’t show killer instinct, sit them next to the mascot. Stop the Namsy pamsy ……get tough and change the way these prime donnas are treated. The team that cuts down the nets do it with opponents blood on their uniforms. That’s what is missing with this team….not talent. Time for a change.
File this under "like for the Dislikes" on the above post. Thank you to Skeets, Amashutcha, and eebmg for sharing my opinion of this post. I recall some provocative posts by fans of other schools (one Stanford fan in particular) getting a larger splash of Dislikes, but I think this is a record for a UConn fan's post.

Geno has 11 NC's on his resume, and I would be interested to know how many of those teams had "opponents (sic) blood on their uniforms" as they were cutting down the nets, in either a literal or a metaphorical sense. I think I can safely say zero.

As I have said previously, I think the basic reason why UConn has not moved beyond the semifinal game since 2016 is (as one or two posters have noted) "not enough bigs". I have also noted that (IMHO) if Azura had started in 2017-18 or had played and started in 2018-19, UConn would have won one or two NC's in those years. Of course, I hold that opinion only with the benefit of hindsight, which Geno did not have.

Even the recent loss to Arizona is really another instance of the same theme. Olivia was (to put it charitably) having a bad game, but Geno had no backup for her who could have replaced her and fulfilled the game plan, which was obviously to exploit AZ's own lack of height in the post. That, and the lack of bigs generally since 2016, may be a recruiting failure for which Geno is arguably accountable, but I don't think that is the point of your criticism of him. You seem to think that if he had been meaner and made his team meaner, he could have won with the rosters he had. I think that would have been a terrible, and a failing, strategy.

I think the problem of "not enough bigs" has been solved on the 2021-22 roster, and I expect a better result, but if UConn loses to Stanford or South Carolina in the semifinal game next April, it will not be because the team wasn't mean enough.

Reaction Score
1. Liv has the most to prove largely due to her play against strong forwards and entering the draft.
2. Evina as she is also entering the draft. Is she more healthy? Will she start to make layups from the left side? She will be good. How good?
3. Love Nika's intensity and ball handling. Will her shot improve?
4. Aubrey has been so strong at times. Will she be able to develop her outside game so she gets more minutes?
5. All the freshmen. Who has more to prove than the pups?

Reaction Score
Totally agree.
This is why there will be a regular rotation of size playing in the front court from the word go.
I believe coach will be working them in all combinations, have an A,B and C option up front, modifying it according to game conditions, but giving them the all plenty of court time to see what they got.
I also noticed, from shoot around clips posted here-that while I cannot comment P Gabriel’s current mobility, she has seemed to transform her physicality- looks much more athletic.
JMHO

Reaction Score
I'm reminded of the scene in Lawrence of Arabia when the Arab army comes upon the enemy and debates whether to attack or not. The issue was settled when one Arab soldier whose village had just been massacred charged the enemy and after a moment of hesitation the rest followed him crying "no prisoners!". The result was a blood bath.
I'm not sure "bloody jersey" is the right phrase but a team needs a player(s) who can project a "no prisoners" intensity to her teammates. Mühl and Bueckers are both emotional sparks. Mühl does it with defense, Bueckers with offense. Watch Rizzotti in the second half of the 1995 title game. Not the most talented guard UConn has had but her intensity was infectious and one of the keys to that win.

Reaction Score
File this under "like for the Dislikes" on the above post. Thank you to Skeets, Amashutcha, and eebmg for sharing my opinion of this post. I recall some provocative posts by fans of other schools (one Stanford fan in particular) getting a larger splash of Dislikes, but I think this is a record for a UConn fan's post.

Geno has 11 NC's on his resume, and I would be interested to know how many of those teams had "opponents (sic) blood on their uniforms" as they were cutting down the nets, in either a literal or a metaphorical sense. I think I can safely say zero.

As I have said previously, I think the basic reason why UConn has not moved beyond the semifinal game since 2016 is (as one or two posters have noted) "not enough bigs". I have also noted that (IMHO) if Azura had started in 2017-18 or had played and started in 2018-19, UConn would have won one or two NC's in those years. Of course, I hold that opinion only with the benefit of hindsight, which Geno did not have.

Even the recent loss to Arizona is really another instance of the same theme. Olivia was (to put it charitably) having a bad game, but Geno had no backup for her who could have replaced her and fulfilled the game plan, which was obviously to exploit AZ's own lack of height in the post. That, and the lack of bigs generally since 2016, may be a recruiting failure for which Geno is arguably accountable, but I don't think that is the point of your criticism of him. You seem to think that if he had been meaner and made his team meaner, he could have won with the rosters he had. I think that would have been a terrible, and a failing, strategy.

I think the problem of "not enough bigs" has been solved on the 2021-22 roster, and I expect a better result, but if UConn loses to Stanford or South Carolina in the semifinal game next April, it will not be because the team wasn't mean enough.
I join you in encouraging dislikes. Im surprised that I don’t get more of them. For me, it’s confirmation that I’m on the right track. I’m a fan….not a cheerleader. There have been many posts on this board talking about the need for “intensity’, “killer instincts”, “take no prisoners”. Things that are clearly missing. My post didn’t contain the subtleness or eloquence contained in those posts but the message was the same. And, it’s a little silly for people to say one cannot question the coach because he was successful in past decades. My grandchildren have yet to see Geno cut down the nets. That’s not nice.

Reaction Score
Liv-she needs to prove how good she can be in the post
CW-has to show everyone she is worthy of being an All-American
Paige-needs to show everyone last year was not playing beyond her talents
Azzi-must perform well enough to live up to her generational talent status
Caroline Ducharme-prove she is good enough to get extra minutes of playing time

Carnac

Reaction Score
I read and enjoyed every comment posted here, some more than others. I found most them spot on, and with merit. There were several I would have given extra likes to if possible. Posters who take off the gloves and express their true feelings and concerns without concern of reprisal or opposing views/takes are especially fun to read. Posters not afraid to call a spade a spade.

We seldom agree on anything here in the yard which is why it’s so popular and appealing. There will always be those that agree with your take/opinion, no matter how radical or unpopular it may be. I like to hear both sides. I don’t have to agree with them, but I like to read them.

We all have an opinion on what this year’s team needs to do to win the championship. I think this is by far the deepest and most talented team Geno has had since the BIG Three graduated (2016).

If THIS UConn team can’t hoist the NCAA trophy in April, it won’t be because of lack of talent or height. I have a question for anyone that would care to answer. Which team to you think has the best chance to win a championship, this year’s team, or next year’s team?

Remember, next year’s team loses 3 experienced players in ONO, Williams and Westbrook, but gain the talented Brady and Patterson, and perhaps a yet to be announced third freshman signee, or a transfer picked up from the portal. Dorka said that she intends to play two years here.

Last edited:

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I read and enjoyed every comment posted here, some more than others. I found most them spot on, and with merit. There were several I would have given extra likes to if possible. Posters who take off the gloves and express their true feelings and concerns without concern of reprisal or opposing views/takes are especially fun to read. Posters not afraid to call a spade a spade.

We seldom agree on anything here in the yard which is why it’s so popular and appealing. There will always be those that agree with your take/opinion, no matter how radical or unpopular it may be. I like to hear both sides. I don’t have to agree with them, but I like to read them.

We all have an opinion on what this year’s team needs to do to win the championship. I think this is by far the deepest and most talented team Geno has had since the BIG Three graduated (2016).

If THIS UConn team can’t hoist the NCAA trophy in April, it won’t be because of lack of talent or height. I have a question for anyone that would care to answer. Which team to you think has the best chance to win a championship, this year’s team, or next year’s team?

Remember, next year’s team loses 3 experienced players in ONO, Williams and Westbrook, but gain the talented Brady and Patterson, and perhaps a yet to be announced third freshman signee, or a transfer picked up from the portal. Dorka said that she intends to play two years here.
I'm going to stick with this years team to have the best chance to win it all. However after this season I will switch to next years team. Reasons.... this year, if Liv plays with increased intensity as she showed in spurts last season along with a years experience for all other returners plus the talented newbies we should be golden. If Liv plays soft we now have Dorka to add mussel and experience to a very talented group. Chances for the following year can't be known until we see how this years team progresses, imo if we win it this year the following years chance is greatly enhanced.

Reaction Score
I’m going to go with this years team.
I believe many underestimate Evina’s leadership and steadying influence.
Give the young ‘uns one more year with her and UCONN will be going on a roll.
Similar (to be exhibited) influence of Dorka with the front line.
Going to really enjoy watching these athletes grow.

Reaction Score

I like this question Carnac, in my honest opinion I just don't understand why so many ppl are overhyping Dorka. I just can't wrap my head around the posts that say Olivia is gonna lose her job, really? She's going to lose her job to a transfer who has yet to play a single minute at UCONN? Olivia who has been here 3 seasons and has gotten better every season imo. What has Dorka done in the tournament that is so out of this world because I must have missed Ohio State going on some deep tournament runs. If this year's team doesn't win it wasn't because talent, it's because of defense and another layer team chemistry. I feel there's 2 different sections of players. One that is incoming freshmen that I think would have played more and contributed more this season if Evina left to the Wnba, and another is 3 srs that are under the most pressure of any Uconn class that I can remember in history. I think this year's team can win it all, but imo next year's team will be a more clearer lineup due to the fact that 3 srs will be gone. Next year's lineup I expect Caroline, Fudd, Paige, Edwards to be starting and it will be much more clearer than this season.

Reaction Score
With all due respect, I haven’t come across one single post that insinuates Liv not starting.
I may have missed it.
I think not.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I like this question Carnac, in my honest opinion I just don't understand why so many ppl are overhyping Dorka. I just can't wrap my head around the posts that say Olivia is gonna lose her job, really? She's going to lose her job to a transfer who has yet to play a single minute at UCONN? Olivia who has been here 3 seasons and has gotten better every season imo. What has Dorka done in the tournament that is so out of this world because I must have missed Ohio State going on some deep tournament runs. If this year's team doesn't win it wasn't because talent, it's because of defense and another layer team chemistry. I feel there's 2 different sections of players. One that is incoming freshmen that I think would have played more and contributed more this season if Evina left to the Wnba, and another is 3 srs that are under the most pressure of any Uconn class that I can remember in history. I think this year's team can win it all, but imo next year's team will be a more clearer lineup due to the fact that 3 srs will be gone. Next year's lineup I expect Caroline, Fudd, Paige, Edwards to be starting and it will be much more clearer than this season.

In all fairness to Dorka, the only tournament runs she would have been able to impact is her freshman year. Ohio State lost in the first round of the WNIT (no accomplishment, I know), but in that game, Dorka had a double double and led the team in scoring.

Then COVID.

Then Ohio State's self-imposed post-season ban for rules infractions.

Reaction Score
With all due respect, I haven’t come across one single post that insinuates Liv not starting.
I may have missed it.
I think not.
Really? I’ve come across many. Maybe not in this particular thread (didn’t go back to check) but throughout this board, yes.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I’m going to go with this years team.
I believe many underestimate Evina’s leadership and steadying influence.
Give the young ‘uns one more year with her and UCONN will be going on a roll.
Similar (to be exhibited) influence of Dorka with the front line.
Going to really enjoy watching these athletes grow.
Me too. This year’s team has talent and EXPERIENCE that next year’s team won’t. If I had to bet the farm, I’d go with this year’s team. There’s no substitute for experience.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Really? I’ve come across many. Maybe not in this particular thread (didn’t go back to check) but throughout this board, yes.
I’ve seen them too. IMHO, Liv should start unless one of the other posts clearly and undeniably beats her out. UConn is a different team with ONO on the bench. :cool: She brings 3 years of “UConn” starter’s experience as a post player the others do not.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Right now, with respect to Dorka, all I have to go on is the representation of others, which I must say has been very favorable. I will make my own personal assessments of her once I’ve seen her play with us.

But as you say, she has not played in Geno’s system or with his players. She MUST develop some semblance of chemistry with her teammates, and learn enough of the system before she can be productive.

Based on what I’ve read, Geno’s assessment of her, and her P5 playing experience, I’d say she can come in and help us right away at the 3 and 4 positions, and spell Liv if and when needed. There’s no debate, if’s, ands or buts. Olivia starts in the 5 hole if I’m Geno….period!! :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would only start ONO if she improves dramatically in attitude and post play.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Amazing how some don't don't seem recognize that we're discussing "young" women. People who can't legally buy a beer.

We get to watch these kids grow and play a game. Even if it's an amazing game. It's a game.

How appropriate is it to make judgmental comments about their mental emotional state of mind. About who they are as human beings.

I'll stop now before I get personal. If I were to go there, at least it wouldn't be directed towards someone just learning about life.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom