The First Drive 3rd Down Run for First Down, Which It Turns Out It Wasn't. Or Was It? | The Boneyard

The First Drive 3rd Down Run for First Down, Which It Turns Out It Wasn't. Or Was It?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So, first series when Edwards ran right, it sure looked like he easily made it past the marker. Refs marked it short and UConn literally got tripped up on 4th and 1. The play was ran towards the UConn bench and no one from the players to the coaches seemed to put up much of a fight on the ball spot. TV replays had nothing showing the side of the field of the run.

Question is, how bad of a spot was it? And if so, why didn't anyone from UConn challenge the spot?

Reaction Score
So, first series when Edwards ran right, it sure looked like he easily made it past the marker. Refs marked it short and UConn literally got tripped up on 4th and 1. The play was ran towards the UConn bench and no one from the players to the coaches seemed to put up much of a fight on the ball spot. TV replays had nothing showing the side of the field of the run.

Question is, how bad of a spot was it? And if so, why didn't anyone from UConn challenge the spot?

The spot was off by a yard and a half. On TV it was pretty clear. That crew should never work again.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
My entire section lost our collective minds after that spot. I've read on the BY that this was a highly rated officiating crew who had done last year's championship game. But nothing yesterday made me feel any "highly rated" performance...

Reaction Score
The refs made a number of bad calls - that one was hard to believe.

But I think it cut both ways - we were spared one when the ball hit off our punt return team.

There was one ref that called a illegal block on key 3rd down and she was curiously talked out of it by the other 2 oofs…

Replay showed she was 100% correct in her call.

Refs were bad but neither team IMO gained any advantage as equally bad.

Reaction Score
Did it seem to be a coaching blunder that UConn didn't challenge the of the ball on fourth and one on the first possession of game. Even the announcers thought he had picked up the first down before being driven out of bounds. So drive doesn't continue nor do they end up with a FG. Just don't understand why they didn't challenge the spot. Anyone else wonder about that ommission?

Reaction Score
Was all the way across the field from Mora. Could have been blocked out by other players. Just a guess

Reaction Score
Just a question: In non-conference games, who supplies the officials? Home or visiting team? If the home team, who does UConn contract with? If the visitors, this had to be an AAC crew, & while they made some bonehead calls, they WERE impartial...

Reaction Score
Just a question: In non-conference games, who supplies the officials? Home or visiting team? If the home team, who does UConn contract with? If the visitors, this had to be an AAC crew, & while they made some bonehead calls, they WERE impartial...
It was an ACC crew…

Reaction Score
Would have liked a pulse from Mora at that point in game. It didn't seem like he had the team ready to play.
What? UConn was steamrolling Temple on that first drive. They gained 15, 11, 9, 8, 3 and 5 yards on consecutive plays.

On TV, the announcers thought it was a first down. I'm pretty sure the stadium announcer played "and that's another UConn first down".

But, I don't think the spot of an out of bounds run is a reviewable call. They can review a spot on an inbounds play or on a scoring play like diving towards the pylon.

Reaction Score
I remember giving the first down to Edwards in my head, and then taking a minute to process why Temple was celebrating what I assumed was a first and ten play. Watching it live, I hadn’t thought it was close enough to the marker to give it a second thought, and I was sitting almost directly across from where he went out of bounds.

Reaction Score
I thought that the officiating crew always came from the visiting team's conference in a non-conferfence game, which would have made the crew from the AAC, not the ACC. Did something change?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My father doesn't text me very often but he did after that play. "UConn screwed. Had 1st down on 3rd down run."

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I remember giving the first down to Edwards in my head, and then taking a minute to process why Temple was celebrating what I assumed was a first and ten play. Watching it live, I hadn’t thought it was close enough to the marker to give it a second thought, and I was sitting almost directly across from where he went out of bounds.
My father doesn't text me very often but he did after that play. "UConn screwed. Had 1st down on 3rd down run."

I kept wanting to see an angle where his right foot touched the white line as he cut up field. From the TV angle they showed from the far side, it was an obvious first down. I just assumed there was a UConn coach right there and they would have blown their lid over a missed call by 2 yards costing a first down.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom