The Existential Question to be Answered First | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Existential Question to be Answered First

Reaction Score
Did you not read the article?...
Hahaha. Yeah, I read it twice. The only thing that made an impression on me in the italics was the fact that the author was a teacher. The rest I skimmed. The international spelling of Bart never caught my eye. I thought Chin was talking about an HC candidate. :) :)

Reaction Score
First things first. He had to take care of men’s basketball which was not doing well in recruiting while in the AAC. He fixed that in one fell swoop by joining the NBE. Among other things, if we were still in the AAC Donavan Clingan would have gone to Michigan. Recruiting for Hurley has picked up a lot since our entrance into the NBE. The next move for football is two or three years away.
And what’s the next move for football?

Reaction Score
People have to accept that any possibility of joining a P5 conference went away when we joined NBE.

paid a 17 mil exit fee, a 3.5 mil entry fee and our own AD said “we didn’t join the big East to leave”

Reaction Score
Dave Benedict is working on it? That’s a good one. He threw the football program into the dumpster - opting to join the Big East. Horrendously short sighted move.
Would you rather be in the Big East for Bball and be able to watch every football and basketball game on TV? Or would you have rather they stay in the AAC where you'd have to pay 5 dollars a month to watch low quality coverage because the schools are paying production costs including basketball?

Reaction Score
People have to accept that any possibility of joining a P5 conference went away when we joined NBE.

paid a 17 mil exit fee, a 3.5 mil entry fee and our own AD said “we didn’t join the big East to leave”
The possibility went away when we were left out of the ACC. How you people haven't recognized that yet is beyond me.

Reaction Score
The possibility went away when we were left out of the ACC. How you people haven't recognized that yet is beyond me.
The possibility went away when we joined the NBE. We aren’t leaving that conference. We just don’t have an administration and athletic department that thinks big time. Again, joining NBE was short sighted.

Weird , the Big 12 just took 4 more teams and there will likely be more expansion in the next two years.

Reaction Score
We weren't going to get into the Big XII. Might as well try to join the PAC 12 too!
Trying to get into any P5 conference would be wise. UCONN couldn’t see it though. Joined a basketball conference of small catholic schools. There is a ceiling on how much money a basement all only conference can demand in media deals.

It was a short sighted move.

Reaction Score
Trying to get into any P5 conference would be wise. UCONN couldn’t see it though. Joined a basketball conference of small catholic schools. There is a ceiling on how much money a basement all only conference can demand in media deals.

It was a short sighted move.
Where have you been? We tried for a decade. You can't make someone pick you.

Reaction Score
Where have you been? We tried for a decade. You can't make someone pick you.
You can do things to make your programs more attractive like, I don’t know, investing in them?

UCONN is in an attractive media market and I suspect the ACC at the very least would be interested in their next expansion. But we are good, we are a huge flagship state university in a small private school basketball conference. Makes complete sense.

Reaction Score
You can do things to make your programs more attractive like, I don’t know, investing in them?

UCONN is in an attractive media market and I suspect the ACC at the very least would be interested in their next expansion. But we are good, we are a huge flagship state university in a small private school basketball conference. Makes complete sense.
Yes it makes much more sense to be in a conference with a service academy and a bunch of schools in the southeastern united states.

Investment in the program is a completely separate issue from being independent or being in a conference that's basically dead at this point.

Reaction Score
What is a "Public Ivy" ?

Do you have to be in the northeast to qualify?

Reaction Score
What is a "Public Ivy" ?

Uconn

"Public Ivy" is a term that refers to prestigious public colleges and universities in the United States that provide a collegiate experience similar to those in the Ivy League.[1][2] The list of "public ivy" institutions has gone through several revisions over the years, much like other university rankings and conferences. The term was first coined by Yale University admissions officer Richard Moll, while working on Night Court.

Reaction Score
Thanks...that answered my question...never heard the term used...

Reaction Score
I assume it must be a term for a northeastern public university at a certain level...

Reaction Score
I would gag if the Gators (#5 National Public University and the Georgia Dogs, #16...starting referring to their uni's as Public Ivys.

Reaction Score
Yes it makes much more sense to be in a conference with a service academy and a bunch of schools in the southeastern united states.

Investment in the program is a completely separate issue from being independent or being in a conference that's basically dead at this point.
It makes much more sense to stay in the conference while investing in program and working to get into a P5 conference (you know like Cincy and UCF did) It makes zero sense to pay a 17 million dollar exit fee, and 3.5 million entrance fee to join a private school basketball conference. It was a horrendously short sighted move that handcuffs UCONN going forward.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It makes much more sense to stay in the conference while investing in program and working to get into a P5 conference (you know like Cincy and UCF did) It makes zero sense to pay a 17 million dollar exit fee, and 3.5 million entrance fee to join a private school basketball conference. It was a horrendously short sighted move that handcuffs UCONN going forward.
In case you didn’t notice we didn’t have an invitation anywhere else to turn down, and the AAC was an anchor around our necks. The moment we have an invite to ACC, then off we go. That last part is tricky though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom