OT: - The eight perfectly made films | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT: The eight perfectly made films

Reaction Score
There was a 1930 movie called "The Flirting Widow" on this morning with none other than Basil Rathbone as the romantic lead.
Rathbone was terrific in “Son of Frankenstein “, great cast too with Boris Karloff as the monster, Bela Lagosi as Igor, Ward Bond as a policeman, and Lionel Atwill as the Chief Inspector. Gene Wilders satire of Frankenstein was based mostly on the Rathbone movie.

Reaction Score
Here is an interesting piece of trivia about Rathbone. He is the first actor to be nominated for an Academy Award for a role in Shakespeare. He didn't win. He also won a Tony for playing the father in The Heiress, the theatrical version of Washington Square written by Henry James. I saw it a few years ago on Broadway with Jessica Chastain, Dan Stevens and David Straitharn as the father. I imagine Rathbone was pretty great in it.

Reaction Score
Young Frankenstein
Taxi Driver
Silence of the Lambs
Schindler's List
Shawshank Redemption
And my Hubs' all time (perfect) favorite to take to a deserted island: Animal House. :p But he's an Ohio State grad....'68/BFA, '70MFA.

Reaction Score
Since the beginning of film making there are 8 perfectly made films? Nothing's perfect, and there are more than 8 films made at an extremely high level.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Million dollar baby was a powerful movie. I remember sitting there after the ending thinking “Wait, what? No, just... no.
Best 2 hours, worst 10 minutes ever.

Hilary Swank gave one of the best performances of my lifetime.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Best 2 hours, worst 10 minutes ever.

Hilary Swank gave one of the best performances of my lifetime.
I enjoyed that film, I have no intention of watching it again though.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Just finishing "Casablanca" on TCM. In addition to great story, acting ,and soundtrack, the lighting on Ingrid's face in several scenes was exquisitely done. Already a beautiful woman, the framing of her face in the dim light of the cafe made her so vulnerable and convincing. Just a wonderful movie. Every time I see it, I am 'shocked". :cool:

Reaction Score
My Favorites: Not Prefect but good
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
Casablanca
My Man Godfrey
It Happened on 5th Avenue
Pocketful of Miracles
To Sir With Love
To Catch a Thief
When Harry Met Sally
The Shop Around the Corner
You've Got Mail
Sleepless in Seattle
As Good as it Gets

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I enjoyed that film, I have no intention of watching it again though.
That's a whole nuther category. Films you admit were good/great, enjoyed watching but have no intention of watching it again. Brazil and Raging Bull are my nominees.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My Favorites: Not Prefect but good
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
Casablanca
My Man Godfrey
It Happened on 5th Avenue
Pocketful of Miracles
To Sir With Love
To Catch a Thief
When Harry Met Sally
The Shop Around the Corner
You've Got Mail
Sleepless in Seattle
As Good as it Gets
“The Shop Around The Corner”, now there’s a forgotten classic.

CL82

Reaction Score
i’m not sure this is a great movie, though it is very good, but the first Harry potter movie does meet the “perfectly made“ criteria. It has a good plot, the effects are good the casting is outstanding.

My two favorite of the series are the first hill that Chris Columbus directed and had Richard Harris as Dumbledore.

Reaction Score
I would nominate films by Akira Kurosawa and by Ingmar Bergman as among the greatest:

Rashomon
Seven Samurai
Ran
Ikuru
Kagemusha

The Seventh Seal
Wild Strawberries
Virgin Spring
Cries and Whispers
Fanny and Alexander

Maybe a film by Satyajit Ray?

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Just finished watching "Bringing Up Baby" on TCM. The Howard Hawks piece starred Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn and was made made in 1938. The supporting cast was a masterful collection including Charles Ruggles, Mae Robson, Fritz Feld, Barry Fitzgerald, and Walter Catlett. Playing Constable Slocum, Catlett gave a tour de force performance as a bumbling, inept small town peace officer who hardly kept the peace when Hepburn hit his hamlet. What a perfect screwball comedy!

Reaction Score
You've Got Mail is a remake of The Shop Around The Corner. Letters, not email.
Yes it is. “The Shop Around The Corner” was one of a couple classics starring Margaret Sullavan, James Stewart and Frank Morgan. The other and maybe the better known of the two was “The Mortal Storm” which co starred Robert Young, Robert Stack, Dan Daily, Maria Ospenskaya, Ward Bond, and Bonita Granville. Granville gave a terrific performance in “The Mortal Storm”. For several years, I lived right down the road from the stunning farmhouse and surrounding 100 acres that Sullavan bought in Brookfield, Connecticut, Stewart reportedly used to come out for visits. Sullavan, famously hated the Hollywood scene, her daughter actress Brooke Hayward wrote the bestseller “Haywire”, about her upbringing as the daughter of two famous parents. IIRC Hayward still lives in the area. Sullavan’s later years relating to her and her children was a tragedy.

Last edited:

Bama fan

Reaction Score
You've Got Mail is a remake of The Shop Around The Corner. Letters, not email.
There was an intermediate version starring Judy Garland and Van Johnson. Titled "In the Good Old Summertime", it was set in a music shop at the turn of the 19th/20th century. Same story, different settings.

Reaction Score
I would nominate films by Akira Kurosawa and by Ingmar Bergman as among the greatest:

Rashomon
Seven Samurai
Ran
Ikuru
Kagemusha

The Seventh Seal
Wild Strawberries
Virgin Spring
Cries and Whispers
Fanny and Alexander

Maybe a film by Satyajit Ray?
I never heard anyone reference Kagemush, The Shadow Warrior before.
Saw it at the Ziegfeld Theater in NYC
late 70’s?
I would go there and see whatever was playing.
THE theater ( besides Radio City) at the time.
Stumbled into the flick by mistake .
Great Film!

Reaction Score
Just finishing "Casablanca" on TCM. In addition to great story, acting ,and soundtrack, the lighting on Ingrid's face in several scenes was exquisitely done. Already a beautiful woman, the framing of her face in the dim light of the cafe made her so vulnerable and convincing. Just a wonderful movie. Every time I see it, I am 'shocked". :cool:
She was definitely vulnerable and convincing and for good reason. She didn't know who she was going to end up with and had to act that way because the director and the writers couldn't agree on the ending. She complained constantly about it during the shooting of the film. They also had to deal with the motion picture code which forbade a married woman leaving her husband for another man. She had to be in love with both of them, although in different ways, and sell it because neither she nor anyone else knew the ending and she couldn't be in love with the one she doesn't end up with.

The two writers, the identical Epstein twins, were driving down Sunset Blvd, stopped at a light and simultaneously blurted out at the same time" Round up the usual suspects". Problem solved. There is your ending.

The pre censored version also had more explicit references to sex between Rick and Ilsa the night before the airport scene and between the venal Captain (Claude Rains) and the young visa seeking women he exploited.

Finally, Ingrid Bergman was 5'9" ( could have been a center back then or at least a power forward) and Bogart was 5'8" at best but probably 5'7". Notice in the last scene and others he is taller than her? Standing on props. Even when they are seated, he is on an extra cushion.

My favorite movie and incredibly timely being released in 1942. The apparently self-centered, at times weak and hateful, and self proclaimed neutral American, becomes transformed into a man of great nobility and purpose and "joins the fight" as he gives up the love of his life for the greater good. It was shot entirely on set in Burbank in four months except for the last scene which was at Van Nuys Airport. Best scene for me "Play the Marseillaise".

Reaction Score
OT/OT I don't think that I have ever seen anyone in basketball do anything quite like this. Here is Payton Pritchard (rookie Celtic) doing his dribbling routine. Amazing?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She was definitely vulnerable and convincing and for good reason. She didn't know who she was going to end up with and had to act that way because the director and the writers couldn't agree on the ending. She complained constantly about it during the shooting of the film. They also had to deal with the motion picture code which forbade a married woman leaving her husband for another man. She had to be in love with both of them, although in different ways, and sell it because neither she nor anyone else knew the ending and she couldn't be in love with the one she doesn't end up with.

The two writers, the identical Epstein twins, were driving down Sunset Blvd, stopped at a light and simultaneously blurted out at the same time" Round up the usual suspects". Problem solved. There is your ending.

The pre censored version also had more explicit references to sex between Rick and Ilsa the night before the airport scene and between the venal Captain (Claude Rains) and the young visa seeking women he exploited.

Finally, Ingrid Bergman was 5'9" ( could have been a center back then or at least a power forward) and Bogart was 5'8" at best but probably 5'7". Notice in the last scene and others he is taller than her? Standing on props. Even when they are seated, he is on an extra cushion.

My favorite movie and incredibly timely being released in 1942. The apparently self-centered, at times weak and hateful, and self proclaimed neutral American, becomes transformed into a man of great nobility and purpose and "joins the fight" as he gives up the love of his life for the greater good. It was shot entirely on set in Burbank in four months except for the last scene which was at Van Nuys Airport. Best scene for me "Play the Marseillaise".
I loved Casablanca, but it’s not my favorite Bogart or Bergman movie. My two favorite Bergman films are “Notorious” and “Gaslight”. She is also memorable in “For Whom The Bell Tolls” with Gary Cooper. My favorite Bogart films and I think his best performances are “Sahara” and “The Caine Mutiny”.

Reaction Score
Just finished watching "Bringing Up Baby" on TCM. The Howard Hawks piece starred Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn and was made made in 1938. The supporting cast was a masterful collection including Charles Ruggles, Mae Robson, Fritz Feld, Barry Fitzgerald, and Walter Catlett. Playing Constable Slocum, Catlett gave a tour de force performance as a bumbling, inept small town peace officer who hardly kept the peace when Hepburn hit his hamlet. What a perfect screwball comedy!
Charlie Ruggles........”the time is 8:10”
Housekeeper............”who are you?”
Charlie Ruggles........”I’m 8:10”

CL82

Reaction Score
I feel as if the movie is pretty clear that Ilsa respects and admires Laszlo. Certainly she loves him but not in the passionate romantic way that she loves Rick.
Oh I think they are pretty clear about it. Even before Isla heads sees Rick for the second time it seems like that's the plan. As Ilsa Isla tells Laszlo that she is going to see Rick about the letters she says, “Victor, whatever I do, will you believe that I, that . . .”. His reply, “You don’t even have to say it. I’ll believe.” That seems to imply that if Isla plans to sleep with Rick and Laszlo indicates that he understands. Later Rick says to Laszlo, “She tried everything to get them, and nothing worked. She did her best to convince me that she was still in love with me, but that was all over long ago. For your sake, she pretended it wasn’t, and I let her pretend.” That's a tacit admission that the he slept with Ilsa. I always thought it was kind of a jerk move by Rick. I guess the best possible to spin is that Rick was trying to explain why he changed his mind on the letters of transit and he felt that a tryst was a better explanation than confessing their deep and continuing love for each other.
This "psychic" (as they sometimes referred to it) moment by the Epsteins had less to do with the resolving the romantic triangle than ending the movie on an up note. Another ending had Rick being arrested. A noble, but unsatisfying end. The "suspects" ending redeems not only Rick but Renault as well and leaves the viewers to imagine their continuing adventure. It is a brilliant ending.

Like you I love this movie as well. It is outstanding from start to finish and stands up not only to time but to multiple rewatching.

Last edited:

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Charlie Ruggles........”the time is 8:10”
Housekeeper............”who are you?”
Charlie Ruggles........”I’m 8:10”
And that continued to and fro throughout the film. One character after another would just crack me up. It was wonderfully silly fun.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom