OT: - The eight perfectly made films | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: The eight perfectly made films

Reaction Score
True. I just watched it again. Maybe the best sword fight ever on screen. Both actors could fence, but in real life, I take Sir Guy and the over/under is 30 seconds.
Actually there’s two better sword fights in “The Mark of Zorro” between Tyrone Power as Zorro and Basil Rathbone as Captain Esteban, and in “The Prisoner of Zelda” between Ronald Colman and Douglas Fairbanks Jr. Great cast in “The Mark of Zorro”, Tyrone Power is terrific in the title role, along with Linda Darnell, Gale Sondergard, J. Edward Bromberg, Eugene Pallette, and Pedro de Cordoba. It’s Power’s best film, IMHO. I’m surprised that “The Prisoner of Zenda” didn’t make anyone’s 8 best list, including mine. Starred Ronald Colman, Madeleine Carroll, Raymond Massey, Douglas Fairbanks Jr, C. Aubrey Smith, David Niven, and Mary Astor. Always thought Madeleine Carroll was the most beautiful woman in films during Hollywood’s Golden Age.

Reaction Score
Actually there’s two better sword fights in “The Mark of Zorro” between Tyrone Power as Zorro and Basil Rathbone as Captain Esteban, and in “The Prisoner of Zelda” between Ronald Colman and Douglas Fairbanks Jr. Great cast in “The Mark of Zorro”, Tyrone Power is terrific in the title role, along with Linda Darnell, Gale Sondergard, J. Edward Bromberg, Eugene Pallette, and Pedro de Cordoba. It’s Power’s best film, IMHO. I’m surprised that “The Prisoner of Zenda” didn’t make anyone’s 8 best list, including mine. Starred Ronald Colman, Madeleine Carroll, Raymond Massey, Douglas Fairbanks Jr, C. Aubrey Smith, David Niven, and Mary Astor. Always thought Madeleine Carroll was the most beautiful woman in films during Hollywood’s Golden Age.
This could be a whole new thread. Madeleine Carroll was great in The 39 Steps but her being more beautiful than Ava Gardner (The Snows of Kilimanjaro) or Elizabeth Taylor (A Place in the Sun) or Hedy Lamar (Ecstasy) or Grace Kelly (Rear Window) or Vivian Leigh (GWTW), not to mention Gene Tierney ( Laura) or Rita Hayworth, is not an opinion I can ascribe to.

Reaction Score
This could be a whole new thread. Madeleine Carroll was great in The 39 Steps but her being more beautiful than Ava Gardner (The Snows of Kilimanjaro) or Elizabeth Taylor (A Place in the Sun) or Hedy Lamar (Ecstasy) or Grace Kelly (Rear Window) or Vivian Leigh (GWTW), not to mention Gene Tierney ( Laura) or Rita Hayworth, is not an opinion I can ascribe to.
Elizabeth Taylor- wearing a white dress dress During the climatic scenes of “Cat On A Hot Tin Roof” is beauty personified.

Reaction Score
Elizabeth Taylor- wearing a white dress dress During the climatic scenes of “Cat On A Hot Tin Roof” is beauty personified.
Exactly. I never knew that the dress' impromptu designer, Helen Rose, who was a studio employee, opened up her own line of ready to wear clothing after the movie because the dress was a sensation on Taylor. She sold thousands of copies of the dress, known as "The Cat Dress", since Taylor called herself "Maggie the Cat" in the movie, at $250.00 each or the equivalent of $2300.00 in today's dollars!

Reaction Score
I find it difficult to believe no one mentioned Kurosawa. The Seven Samurai or Roshomon. BTW Carol Reed directed The third Man not Welles. My two favorite comedies haven't been mentioned" The Producers and Groundhog Day are must sees for me. Non English films have generally gotten short shrift. Try some of these: "Wings of Desire", Ray's Apu trilogy along with "The Music Room", De Sica's "Bicycle Thieves", how about a Swedish vampire movie "Let the Right One In", I know this isn't foreign but what about "The Bride of Frankenstein?" "Amalie" with Audrey Tatou is a wonder. A few silent films shouldn't be missed starting with Esenstein's "The Battleship Potemkin." Of course this was when Comedy was king; a few favorites Keaton's "The General" and "Our Hospitality." There is a lot of Chaplin, but try "Modern Times" on of the best and probably the last silent. Harold Lloyd's Safety Last" and "The Freshman." I could literally go on for hours; Casablanca is my all time favorite, but you can read my long comments on these and other films in my Films Worth Viewing on this site. I'm in my third year writing these comments. Today I wrote about David Lean's "Hobson's Choice" starring Charles Laughton. Tomorrow I will comment on Hawk's "Rio Bravo." Where I can, I suggest free viewing options.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
"The Producers", which version, 1967 with Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder or 2005 with Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick? While 2005 is a delightful watchable movie, 1967 is (IMHO) a masterpiece.
I find it difficult to believe no one mentioned Kurosawa. The Seven Samurai or Roshomon. BTW Carol Reed directed The third Man not Welles. My two favorite comedies haven't been mentioned" The Producers and Groundhog Day are must sees for me. Non English films have generally gotten short shrift. Try some of these: "Wings of Desire", Ray's Apu trilogy along with "The Music Room", De Sica's "Bicycle Thieves", how about a Swedish vampire movie "Let the Right One In", I know this isn't foreign but what about "The Bride of Frankenstein?" "Amalie" with Audrey Tatou is a wonder. A few silent films shouldn't be missed starting with Esenstein's "The Battleship Potemkin." Of course this was when Comedy was king; a few favorites Keaton's "The General" and "Our Hospitality." There is a lot of Chaplin, but try "Modern Times" on of the best and probably the last silent. Harold Lloyd's Safety Last" and "The Freshman." I could literally go on for hours; Casablanca is my all time favorite, but you can read my long comments on these and other films in my Films Worth Viewing on this site. I'm in my third year writing these comments. Today I wrote about David Lean's "Hobson's Choice" starring Charles Laughton. Tomorrow I will comment on Hawk's "Rio Bravo." Where I can, I suggest free viewing options.

"The Producers", which version, 1967 with Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder or 2005 with Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick? While 2005 is a delightful watchable movie, 1967 is (IMHO) a masterpiece.
Some of your choices are a bit obscure for a mainstream movie goer, but everyone I have seen is a great movie. No Bergman?

Reaction Score
I’ll take the angelic Ms Carroll over those trashy brunettes any day.

1620769642848.jpeg

1620769432535.jpeg

Reaction Score

Some of your choices are a bit obscure for a mainstream movie goer, but everyone I have seen is a great movie. No Bergman?
The original version. The movie re-make or the version of the musical is decent to good, but not a classic. Bergman is not a personal favorite, but I have commented on some of his films. I will be watching "The Magician" and "The Magic Flute" soon.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
BTW Carol Reed directed The third Man not Welles.
I know, which is probably why it is my favorite Welles film - someone reining him in.

Reaction Score
I know, which is probably why it is my favorite Welles film - someone reining him in.
If you haven't seen it, try "Touch of Evil." It's a great or near great film noir. This one directed by Welles which I find brilliant.

Reaction Score
In addition to her beauty Madeleine Carroll was famously aloof. When once reporters cornered her and asked who she wanted to be stranded with on a desert island, she replied her gynecologist!

(I tried to stay away from posting!)

Reaction Score
What about 1975, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest? Jack Nicholson was outstanding. The film was nominated for 9 Academy Awards and won 7. Nominated for 8 British Academy Film Awards and won 6. Nominated for 6 Golden Globe Awards and won all 6.
One of my best films of all time.

Reaction Score
I’ll take the angelic Ms Carroll over those trashy brunettes any day.
De gustibus non est disputandum. However, Hedy Lamar for one is in the National Inventors Hall of Fame having developed during WWII the earliest version of WiFi and GPS for torpedo guidance. Both beautiful and brilliant and also a patriot. I also never heard of Grace Kelly being referred to as a trashy brunette before.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Most gripping Holocaust related movie “The Pawnbroker”. Impeccable, wrenching movie. Rod Steiger was robbed by not getting the Oscar and got it the next year for In the Heat of the Night in a clear make up call. Unrelenting tension in the tale of survivor guilt. Saw the original uncut version when I was at UConn in the mid-60s. Didn’t know the whole story line ahead of time and as it turned out, my date’s parents were holocaust survivors. She was devastated by the movie and I was pretty shaky.

Reaction Score
THE SEARCHERS—great, great Wayne western.
DAS BOOT—classic submarine/war flick- will have you gasping for breath at times.
GODFATHER 1– have watched I don’t know how many times- will watch it again and again and again...(take the cannolis)
IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT—it was REALLY like that back then. Believe me.
DOUBLE INDEMNITY- great story great cast
Double Indeminity Can't be perfect - Fred McMurray who was single in the move can be seen wearing a wedding ring throughout

Reaction Score
De gustibus non est disputandum. However, Hedy Lamar for one is in the National Inventors Hall of Fame having developed during WWII the earliest version of WiFi and GPS for torpedo guidance. Both beautiful and brilliant and also a patriot. I also never heard of Grace Kelly being referred to as a trashy brunette before.
LOL!!! But yes Hedy definitely had a head on her shoulders.

As for GK, she wasn’t a natural blonde and her promiscuity in Hollywood was well known.

1620824322134.jpeg

Last edited:

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
You are right. I mixed up Jack Palance and Lee Marvin. Palance was the star of Have Gun Will Travel. They both were leathery tough guys, although Paladin (the character Palance portrayed) was an upholder of the law, albeit in an outlaw kinda way.
Paladin, Richard Boone

Reaction Score
Double Indeminity Can't be perfect - Fred McMurray who was single in the move can be seen wearing a wedding ring throughout
“Braveheart” had a hilarious blooper, prior to the big charge on the battlefield by Mel and his warriors, several of the extras made up as Scottish warriors way in the back waving axes and swords can be clearly seen wearing sunglasses. LOL

Reaction Score

While I love The Producers, I prefer Zero in A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. That's the only musical I have voluntarily watched more then once. Okay, maybe twice for Best Little Whorehouse.

Reaction Score
While I love The Producers, I prefer Zero in A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. That's the only musical I have voluntarily watched more then once. Okay, maybe twice for Best Little Whorehouse.
Only musicals I’ll watch over again are “My Fair Lady”, “Gigi”, “The Sound of Music”, “Brigadoon”, “West Side Story”, “Singing in the Rain”, “Top Hat”, and my favorite “Rose Marie”.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And here it is

As for GK, she wasn’t a natural blonde and her promiscuity in Hollywood was well known.

View attachment 67394

View attachment 67394
And thus, another of life's illusions is lost.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom