OT: - The eight perfectly made films | The Boneyard

OT: The eight perfectly made films

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

Interesting choices. The Godfather and Casablanca would have been on my list. Hitchcock thrillers Rear Window and Vertigo and good entries too.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Casablanca - In my Top 3 of all time.
The Godfather - Pretty much perfect. Entertaining + and the single biggest cinematic shift of all time.
Vertigo - Favorite Hitchcock. Perfect backdrop, everything just aligned really well here, stars and shapes and all.
Rear Window - Fun movie. Probably my favorite Hitchcock after Vertigo.
Notorious - Bergman and Grant. Another quality Hitchcock entry. He was on fire during that era.
Three Colors: Red - I like it a lot. Beautiful theme song. Insidious hidden truths behind a veil of fashion shows and an idealistic French world.
Citizen Kane - Good filmmaking, but it's my least favorite here.

I haven't seen Boyhood. What site am I on? lol. Back to talking UConn women's sports.

Last edited:

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
The Godfather - Pretty much perfect. Entertaining + and the single biggest cinematic shift of all time.
Vertigo - Favorite Hitchcock. Perfect backdrop, everything just aligned really well here, stars and shapes and all.
Notorious - Bergman and Grant. Another quality Hitchcock entry. He was on fire during that era.
Three Colors: Red - I like it a lot. Beautiful theme song. Insidious hidden truths behind a veil of fashion shows and an idealistic French world.

I haven't seen Boyhood. What site am I on? lol. Back to talking UConn women's sports.
I am probably the only human on earth that thinks Citizen Kane is over rated.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score

Evidently not such a simple Dawg.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I have not seen "Boyhood" or "Red", but the others are all fine films. I would nominate "To Kill a Mockingbird" and "The Shootist".

Reaction Score

Yes, Casablanca is definitely in the top three all time. Interestingly, when they began filming, the actors had no idea how the story would end. The script wasn't completed until midway through. I've forgotten (if I ever knew) what alternatives they considered, but I'd say they made a pretty good choice.

Reaction Score

I rented it about 20 years ago on VHS tape, was not enthralled with it at all, but stuck with it.....and I was so, so, happy to see it end.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I rented it about 20 years ago on VHS tape, was not enthralled with it at all, but stuck with it.....and I was so, so, happy to see it end.
But did you rewind the tape? That was a mortal sin!

CL82

Reaction Score
I’ve never seen it. I suppose I have to sooner or later.

Reaction Score
Yes, Casablanca is definitely in the top three all time. Interestingly, when they began filming, the actors had no idea how the story would end. The script wasn't completed until midway through. I've forgotten (if I ever knew) what alternatives they considered, but I'd say they made a pretty good choice.
The scenario with the Germans winning the war was quickly cast aside..iirc

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I’ve never seen it. I suppose I have to sooner or later.
well now, mr fancypants, i've never seen 5 of the 8 on ur list! and have no plan to, ceptin if they just happen spontaneously, like last week, when we watched 'the thin man.' went down like this: some asked, what's this? anyone ever see this? no.' i sez 'i've heard of it, some kind of famous thing.' crime? comedy? what is it? 'idk, prolly one of those film noir deals, where everyone wears a suit, and someone gets whacked by a .38, along with lots of shadows and rain...' wrongo.
turned out to be pretty funny, and at a pace that kept eyes glued and lot's of guessin 'who done it?' worthwhile? yes, but i don't get the hype, since i thought it was no more classically special than, say, caddyshack.
mg started doing that nose wrinkle thing. she thinks it's hilarious.
the 3 that i've seen are il familia corleone, humphrey messes with the nazis, and charlie and his sled. not sure what makes them 'perfectly made' tho. i really, really like the charlie and his sled video though, particularly as an American essay from say, post civil war up to the rush of common tech into the depression.
any list not proclaiming 'The Grapes of Wrath' as the best ever, blows.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
THE SEARCHERS—great, great Wayne western.
DAS BOOT—classic submarine/war flick- will have you gasping for breath at times.
GODFATHER 1– have watched I don’t know how many times- will watch it again and again and again...(take the cannolis)
IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT—it was REALLY like that back then. Believe me.
DOUBLE INDEMNITY- great story great cast
KEY LARGO- love Casablanca, but deeper cast and also a great plot line.
That’s six of my faves.
Chip shots—
GONE WITY THE WIND- “frankly, I don’t give a damn”.
OUT OF THE PAST—Mitchum
GUESS WHO’S COMING TO DINNER- Spencer’s last movie. Great story.
SPARTACUS—-epic

CL82

Reaction Score
well now, mr fancypants, i've never seen 5 of the 8 on ur list! and have no plan to, ceptin if they just happen spontaneously, like last week, when we watched 'the thin man.' went down like this: some asked, what's this? anyone ever see this? no.' i sez 'i've heard of it, some kind of famous thing.' crime? comedy? what is it? 'idk, prolly one of those film noir deals, where everyone wears a suit, and someone gets whacked by a .38, along with lots of shadows and rain...' wrongo.
turned out to be pretty funny, and at a pace that kept eyes glued and lot's of guessin 'who done it?' worthwhile? yes, but i don't get the hype, since i thought it was no more classically special than, say, caddyshack.
mg started doing that nose wrinkle thing. she thinks it's hilarious.
the 3 that i've seen are il familia corleone, humphrey messes with the nazis, and charlie and his sled. not sure what makes them 'perfectly made' tho. i really, really like the charlie and his sled video though, particularly as an American essay from say, post civil war up to the rush of common tech into the depression.
any list not proclaiming 'The Grapes of Wrath' as the best ever, blows.
Mr Fancypants?

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
There is an interesting juxtaposition between the 1942 movie Casablanca, and the 1932 movie of Hemingway's A Farewell to Arms, starring a young Gary Cooper and Helen Hayes. World War I was the war to end all wars, and most people understood the futility of war. The story and movie reflect that sentiment, as Gary Cooper desserts the army, to be with his true love. But by 1942, sentiments had changed 180 degrees, and in Casablanca, Bogart gives up his love for the good of the War effort. Just an example of how popular movies can project popular sentiments.

Reaction Score
THE SEARCHERS—great, great Wayne western.
DAS BOOT—classic submarine/war flick- will have you gasping for breath at times.
GODFATHER 1– have watched I don’t know how many times- will watch it again and again and again...(take the cannolis)
IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT—it was REALLY like that back then. Believe me.
DOUBLE INDEMNITY- great story great cast

CL82

Reaction Score

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I love and hate these lists at the same time. I've seen at least half a dozen lists of "perfect" movies. I don't think there's such a thing as a perfect movie, but I can't think of a reason that Young Frankenstein, Annie Hall, and Dr Strangelove didn't make this list is that they somehow don't think comedies are worthy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom