The effort is just terrible | The Boneyard

The effort is just terrible

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I gave up on the game at 24-0, and was bouncing around other games, including UMass/New Mexico. UMass is bad. They are small, slow, and not athletic. But they hustle from the snap to the whistle every single play. They may suck, but they play hard, and I am actually jealous of that team. UConn's players are lazy and act like they don't want to be there. I think it is time to honor their request and toss some of them off the squad.

Charlton is a bad OC, and our quarterbacks are abysmal. But there is no way to coach up "don't care". I can not remember the last team I saw, in any sport at any level, that played as half-assed as this year's UConn football team plays. Players jogging, caught flat-footed, not finishing off routes or plays. Just all around poor effort.

Mora needs to just start benching players for poor effort. And by bench, they should leave the field, clean out their locker, and are off the team. Just start cutting players in mid-game. The lack of effort is poisonous, and undermines everything else anyone is trying to do on that sideline and in practice. Just get rid of the bad apples. I don't care if UConn loses so many players that it needs to have open tryouts to fill spots and loses every game by 40 the rest of the season, as long as those that are left are playing hard. This team is an embarrassment to the university, and none of us should tolerate it. These players are not amateurs anymore.

Reaction Score
Roberson not trying to recover that fumble should have been his last play on the day at mininum.
I don't agree that the kids aren't showing effort, but i do agree that Roberson should have been benched due to his lack of effort on the fumble. UConn's defense held Duke to 330 yards of offense with less than 3 yards per carry with the loss of UConn's best defensive player so that shows me effort.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Roberson not trying to recover that fumble should have been his last play on the day at mininum.

Leonard fumbled the ball deep in UConn's end in the second quarter. There were 3 or maybe 4 UConn players within a few yards of the ball, and not a single player dove for the ball. They had stopped playing because they thought the play was over, so all of them were flat-footed as the ball rolled on the ground and a Duke linemen dove on it.

UConn can not beat anyone playing like this.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't agree that the kids aren't showing effort, but i do agree that Roberson should have been benched due to his lack of effort on the fumble. UConn's defense held Duke to 330 yards of offense with less than 3 yards per carry with the loss of UConn's best defensive player so that shows me effort.

Duke was burning the clock the whole second half just to get out of the Rent without any injuries. That is how we get blown out but look like our defense played well.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

I'm with you. The fellas are showing effort. Hell, they are making more noise on their sidelines during 3rd down than the rest of the stadium! And I can say that confidently because I'm there every home game.

That's why I'm beyond irritated at the coaching staff. Particularly on the offensive side of the ball, which has been... offensive...

Reaction Score
That is no stat that we should hold up as effort. Duke could have done whatever they wanted to do. They shredded our D at will. The D is woeful. We got our ass kicked. Who cares how many yards we gave up. Stats are for losers. A beat down of epic proportions. It could have been 60 -7 if the Dookies didn't call off the dogs. Take off the Husky colored glasses.

Reaction Score
Duke was burning the clock the whole second half just to get out of the Rent without any injuries. That is how we get blown out but look like our defense played well.
They had 206 yards in the first half.

Reaction Score
I see lots of effort on both sides of the ball.

Defense needs to make more tackles and get some turnovers. But we’re asking too much of them; they need to play a perfect game to win with this offense.

The offense is broken.

The plays are bad

The play calling is bad

The players that are executing these bad plays are not actually executing because everything happens short of the 1st Down or behind the line of scrimmage.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
So do the same posters singing the praises of the defense believe that our tackling has been good in the previous games? .

No, but the run d straight up has been good all year sans Georgia State. They’re not good, but are at least a G5 level unit. The offense would be poor in the FCS.

Reaction Score
Our “hogs” on both sides of the ball are pretty good. They play hard.
As much as I bought into the whole Charlton story ( young, innovative, HC in waiting) it seems like he is a big part of the problem. Others have mentioned the “mazzone” games. They looked great on O with a QB who is now playing DIII.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
No, but the run d straight up has been good all year sans Georgia State. They’re not good, but are at least a G5 level unit. The offense would be poor in the FCS.

I am saying something different. There are effort issues on both sides of the ball. It is more obvious with the skill position players, but I think it is up and down the roster. Watch any G5 game and see how much more hustle there is than in our games. Players are flying at the ball, and sprinting through routes, and hustling to make blocks.

I don't think the team is as bad as the score differential, but those hustle plays add up over the course of a game and a season.

Reaction Score
So do the same posters singing the praises of the defense believe that our tackling has been good in the previous games? .
No tackling was not good the first few games, but it was much better today.

Reaction Score
Our “hogs” on both sides of the ball are pretty good. They play hard.
As much as I bought into the whole Charlton story ( young, innovative, HC in waiting) it seems like he is a big part of the problem. Others have mentioned the “mazzone” games. They looked great on O with a QB who is now playing DIII.
We miss puma. He was awesome while we had him. I take him over any of our QBs right now.

Reaction Score
I'm with you. The fellas are showing effort. Hell, they are making more noise on their sidelines during 3rd down than the rest of the stadium! And I can say that confidently because I'm there every home game.

That's why I'm beyond irritated at the coaching staff. Particularly on the offensive side of the ball, which has been... offensive...
Noise is not effort, Dan. I saw them jumping up and down screaming. That doesn’t make up for failed execution. How many gang tackles did you see outside the tackles today? Virtually none. That is the problem in a nutshell. Nobody is flying to the ball and each guy is on his own. Our D is passable but it’s no great shakes.

Reaction Score

No.

We have a million problems. But the defense is still out there trying to make plays. And they actually do make some. Anyone with eyes can see this.

Reaction Score
Noise is not effort, Dan. I saw them jumping up and down screaming. That doesn’t make up for failed execution. How many gang tackles did you see outside the tackles today? Virtually none. That is the problem in a nutshell. Nobody is flying to the ball and each guy is on his own. Our D is passable but it’s no great shakes.

The run defense held Duke to 73 yards. They were #5 in the nation in rushing coming into the game.

The defense is acceptable. If we could even gain 100 yards in the first half they wouldn’t seem as bad.

Reaction Score
Has even been playing for Teikyo Post?
He is on their roster but not listed with a jersey #. And on the cumulative stats page, he is not listed as playing at all this season.

Reaction Score
Should've been his last play in a UConn jersey
Mora allows that garbage. Just like there are no consequences when Jackson flipped off the crowd. I think about Calhoun, Saban, etc., those guys never gave/give an inch and sit butts in a second if you don’t perform. Mora is not a consequences guy. Clear as day.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom