The effort is just terrible | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The effort is just terrible

Reaction Score
Mora allows that garbage. Just like there are no consequences when Jackson flipped off the crowd. I think about Calhoun, Saban, etc., those guys never gave/give an inch and sit butts in a second if you don’t perform. Mora is not a consequences guy. Clear as day.
Jesus who cares if Jackson flipped off the crowd? There are much worse things going on than that.

Reaction Score
who cares if Jackson flipped off the crowd? There are much worse things going on than that.
There are worse things. But big problems are created by small ones. I can’t think of any team that’s ever been “fixed” without ruthless discipline or completely off loading players and rebuilding. It is nearly literally impossible for this team to be this impotent Yet it is.

Forget Jackson. What about Buckman? How many bobbled and dropped punts does he get? I think we are on number 4 or 5. How many drops do receivers get before they are pulled? How many blown kick coverages do the outside lane contain guys get. What about Roberson not diving on a loose ball because he was just like too bad and walking off field. What about utterly blown interior blocking assignments. What about blown coverages. How many out of bounds hits are ok before there is a consequence?

This is an unhealthy team with a bad attitude and no discipline. The guy in charge owns that.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There are worse things. But big problems are created by small ones. I can’t think of any team that’s ever been “fixed” without ruthless discipline or completely off loading players and rebuilding. It is nearly literally impossible for this team to be this impotent Yet it is.

Forget Jackson. What about Buckman? How many bobbled and dropped punts does he get? I think we are on number 4 or 5. How many drops do receivers get before they are pulled? How many blown kick coverages do the outside lane contain guys get. What about Roberson not diving on a loose ball because he was just like too bad and walking off field. What about utterly blown interior blocking assignments. What about blown coverages. How many out of bounds hits are ok before there is a consequence?

This is an unhealthy team with a bad attitude and no discipline. The guy in charge owns that.

+1000

We have already lost before any of the big mistakes matter if we have this many small mistakes. The jogging by the receivers makes me crazy, and no one is doing anything about it. There was a wheel route in the NC State game where a UConn receiver was jogging, then tried to sprint at the last second and the ball was thrown just outside his hands. If he had caught the ball, he had to beat one defender and he had a touchdown. The small mistake, not sprinting, potentially cost UConn a touchdown in a game UConn lost by 10 that would have been a huge upset and potentially changed the arc of the entire season.

We are a not a particularly talented team, and we will make some big mistakes or just get beat on plays. If we can limit the errors to just those big issues, then we can still beat some of the teams on our schedule. If we jog and arm tackle and not dive on loose balls and coast, we might get beaten by everyone on our schedule.

Reaction Score
Noise is not effort, Dan. I saw them jumping up and down screaming. That doesn’t make up for failed execution. How many gang tackles did you see outside the tackles today? Virtually none. That is the problem in a nutshell. Nobody is flying to the ball and each guy is on his own. Our D is passable but it’s no great shakes.
“Flying to the ball”
Epitome of what we don’t do

Reaction Score
I see a defense that isn't great but has played well enough to win some games. Not versus a ranked team, believe me. But when they're playing well, this defense can beat FCS or low-tier FBS teams. I think their effort is probably lacking because of frustration.

I'm not sure our offense could outplay the top 50% of FCS teams at this point. And I don't see it getting better without a 1) influx of talent 2) better playcalling and play-coaching.

Reaction Score
The issue I see is that the quarterback has difficulty throwing the ball more than 10 yards and the receivers simply cannot or will not catch the ball in most situations. Why he's sticking with this qb is totally baffling.

Reaction Score
The issue I see is that the quarterback has difficulty throwing the ball more than 10 yards and the receivers simply cannot or will not catch the ball in most situations. Why he's sticking with this qb is totally baffling.
I can’t answer this, but I’d guess that the other QBs on the team have not done enough in practice to warrant a shot, yet.
Coaches get paid to make decisions based on what they see. Anyone can flip a coin, but it’s a lazy way to do things.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I'm with you. The fellas are showing effort. Hell, they are making more noise on their sidelines during 3rd down than the rest of the stadium! And I can say that confidently because I'm there every home game.

That's why I'm beyond irritated at the coaching staff. Particularly on the offensive side of the ball, which has been... offensive...
its hard to hear or witness some things when you are sitting home, never attending a game in person and acting like you are an expert on NCAA football, NFL, NCAA mens basketball, NBA etc. and flipping through other games when the score is not going your way but some BYers are always doing it.
I agree that the problems start with coaching. I still feel Mora is the man, however, can't understand why Charlton is still the OC and why Mora is reluctant to sit kids down.

Reaction Score
Dumb decision by Mitchell that was in the heat of the moment - I am sure someone in the crowd set him off. Stupid mistake, but not going to hold it against him, actually nice to see some emotion, lol.
Hell I’m shocked no one on here is flipping out because he slammed his helmet yesterday…

Reaction Score
Dumb decision by Mitchell that was in the heat of the moment - I am sure someone in the crowd set him off. Stupid mistake, but not going to hold it against him, actually nice to see some emotion, lol.
Agree, Dumb, out of frustration, out of character, tired of losing, gives his all, but...., Cannot do it, you are a Captain, perhaps THE leader for this Team, no matter what, 0-4, 0 and 8, 0 and 10, You Are the Leader, THE player who Does Not Give Up.
Your teammates are watching You..., especially the young guys looking at, and most importantly, UP to you.
He's a great player who UConn is fortunate to have.

Reaction Score
I gave up on the game at 24-0, and was bouncing around other games, including UMass/New Mexico. UMass is bad. They are small, slow, and not athletic. But they hustle from the snap to the whistle every single play. They may suck, but they play hard, and I am actually jealous of that team. UConn's players are lazy and act like they don't want to be there. I think it is time to honor their request and toss some of them off the squad.

Charlton is a bad OC, and our quarterbacks are abysmal. But there is no way to coach up "don't care". I can not remember the last team I saw, in any sport at any level, that played as half-assed as this year's UConn football team plays. Players jogging, caught flat-footed, not finishing off routes or plays. Just all around poor effort.

Mora needs to just start benching players for poor effort. And by bench, they should leave the field, clean out their locker, and are off the team. Just start cutting players in mid-game. The lack of effort is poisonous, and undermines everything else anyone is trying to do on that sideline and in practice. Just get rid of the bad apples. I don't care if UConn loses so many players that it needs to have open tryouts to fill spots and loses every game by 40 the rest of the season, as long as those that are left are playing hard. This team is an embarrassment to the university, and none of us should tolerate it. These players are not amateurs anymore.
I would add a lack of discipline too. Agree Charlton should have been gone a couple of weeks ago. Ironically he’s become Mora’s security blanet for the offensive mess. Once gone, Mora is the primary accountable guy on offense,
Roberson not trying to recover that fumble should have been his last play on the day at mininum.
He’s playing like his knee injury is front and center.

Reaction Score
I understand the frustration over the effort, but even with better effort, we’re still trying to punch way above our level.

For example. 247sports rates Duke’s last four recruiting classes at 56, 51, 57, and 62. For the same years, they rank UConn’s 124, 112, 114, and 118.

Effort is essential, and coaching can help, but without significantly better talent, we’re never going to be consistently competitive at FBS.

Reaction Score
Is there someone on the Dolphins Offensive staff that we can go after?

Reaction Score
I would add a lack of discipline too. Agree Charlton should have been gone a couple of weeks ago. Ironically he’s become Mora’s security blanet for the offensive mess. Once gone, Mora is the primary accountable guy on offense,

When is Dave Benedict accountable for the whole situation?

Reaction Score
When is Dave Benedict accountable for the whole situation?
Ok - I will say it, Mora has a very weak staff, perhaps because we can’t afford better? We got numbers in the transfer portal not talent. The guys evaluating that talent, and the ability to attract talent were weaknesses in some combination,
Our offense needs new leadership - making 24 yards to an opponent’s 24 points during one part of the game.

Reaction Score
That is no stat that we should hold up as effort. Duke could have done whatever they wanted to do. They shredded our D at will. The D is woeful. We got our ass kicked. Who cares how many yards we gave up. Stats are for losers. A beat down of epic proportions. It could have been 60 -7 if the Dookies didn't call off the dogs. Take off the Husky colored glasses.
They absolutely killed us on those slant routes all game.

Reaction Score
Agree, Dumb, out of frustration, out of character, tired of losing, gives his all, but...., Cannot do it, you are a Captain, perhaps THE leader for this Team, no matter what, 0-4, 0 and 8, 0 and 10, You Are the Leader, THE player who Does Not Give Up.
Your teammates are watching You..., especially the young guys looking at, and most importantly, UP to you.
He's a great player who UConn is fortunate to have.
100%. It all matters.

Reaction Score
should he be fired?
I don't know, but he gave Diaco the extension and promptly had to buy him out. Then he got Edsall on that joke of an incentive laden contract that made us a national punchline. Now we are here. Maybe, just maybe, he ain't the guy to "fix football".

Reaction Score

It’s hard for some people to get past the mental issues from being injured. If that’s the case, move over and let someone else take over. Don’t pretend you’re ok if you’re not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom