The Dunk no more | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Dunk no more

Reaction Score
Granted this was 35 years ago. Different world back then.
Yes, definitely was. However, no matter how long ago it was, you'd think that a business wouldn't give away something related to their asset in an open-ended "forever" arrangement.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Didn't they already do that with Harry Gampel? I don't know what the deal was with Gampel and if they could sell the naming rights to supersede his name. Considering the athletic department shortfalls I'm sure the naming rights has been explored.
That kind of classless “I know we sold you the rights but we’re going to sell them again“ stuff is reserved for the likes of Syracuse. On the other hand, they could sell the naming rights for the court itself, if they wanted to.

Personally, I’d like to see them name the court “Hall of Fame Court“ in honor of you can‘s growing list of members of the (Naismith or National Collegiate) Hall of Fame. The names could be added courtside. Calhoun, Auriemma, Allen, Lobo, Hamilton, Cash. Chris Daley is in the women’s Hall of Fame as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Do most people actually call these places by their new/newer corporate names?

Don't think I've ever heard anyone call the White Sox stadium Guaranteed Rate, it's always Comiskey or The Cell. Never heard anyone call Sears Tower the Willis Tower.

I guess it depends on the name, Citi Field and The Dunk are both good names. XL is a pretty good name but I still call it the Civic Center.
Who still uses the Tappan Zee Bridge? the Triborough Bridge?

Reaction Score
Who still uses the Tappan Zee Bridge? the Triborough Bridge?

I still call it the Tappan Zee Bridge...

But since I live next to Randall's Island, bike often under the bridge, and drive/bike across the bridge(s) often I have somewhat adopted RFK Bridge. I probably use RFK bridge about 70% of the time. The other 30% Triboro comes out. Adoption is slow. But it will happen.

...With corporate names is a bit trickier because by the time people adopt one name... the contract is up and they rename it again and the cycle repeats

CL82

Reaction Score
I still call it the Tappan Zee Bridge...

But since I live next to Randall's Island, bike often under the bridge, and drive/bike across the bridge(s)
My wife wants to walk the Tappan Zee Bridge, but I’m not sure what there is to do on either end. if you walk the Brooklyn Bridge there are, obviously, a lot of choices on either side for lunch dinner, getting a drink etc. That’s not really the case for the Tappan Zee. I mean I guess you could Uber into town but that’s less appealing to me. It’s easier if you’re biking because I think it’s a fairly short shot by bike into town. Any recommendations? I would start from the west side and be walking east.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
My wife wants to walk the Tappan Zee Bridge, but I’m not sure what there is to do on either end. if you walk the Brooklyn Bridge there are, obviously, a lot of choices on either side for lunch dinner, getting a drink etc. That’s not really the case for the Tappan Zee. I mean I guess you could Uber into town but that’s less appealing to me. It’s easier if you’re biking because I think it’s a fairly short shot by bike into town. Any recommendations? I would start from the west side and be walking east.

On a different note, have you done the High Line trail yet? Very cool elevated linear park with lots to do nearby.

CL82

Reaction Score

On a different note, have you done the High Line trail yet? Very cool elevated linear park with lots to do nearby.

Your timing is impeccable. We were thinking about walking the Highline. Probably during the bye week. Any suggestions as to restaurants? there are, obviously, tons to choose from, I just didn’t know if you had a particular favor along it if you’ve already done the walk.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Your timing is impeccable. We were thinking about walking the Highline. Probably during the bye week. Any suggestions as to restaurants? there are, obviously, tons to choose from, I just didn’t know if you had a particular favor along it if you’ve already done the walk.
I've only done it once, around a year ago, and we did the Chelsea Market, which is great and has tons of options. We chose Los Tacos No. 1 and it was very good, but it took us a while to choose because there were lots of good options.

Reaction Score
Once a certain North Haven, CT low-ABV brewery opens its doors in a few months in downtown Nyack, you will want to take the easy walk from the Rockland side of the bridge down to Main Street.

Reaction Score

Yeah. It's exactly what you said. Not a sexy walk at all. Nothing to do on either side.

I've done the Tappan Zee & GWB bike circuit (about 40 miles total I believe) multiple times now. If you do get yourself inspired to ride across the Tappan Zee then you can make a pit stop at nearby Piermont, NY area (that's on the western side though). Very nice area to get a coffee, eat, and relax (centered at Piermont Ave - Ash St) . You also can ride to the riverfront and get beautiful views of the Tappan Zee (the bridge itself and the massive river opening for which is named after)

Last edited:
Reaction Score

If you do the Highline. Try to shoot for the late afternoon. Walk the Highline starting at 34th Street and work your way down to 14th Street. Eat nearby at the Chelsea Market. But Make sure to cross to the "Little Island" at the Hudson River Waterfront a couple of blocks away to catch the sunset/twilight/evening at the park. The Little Island is beautiful, especially at night when all the lights are on. They also have the relocated Whitney Museum nearby which closes at 10PM on Fridays

CL82

Reaction Score
If you do the Highline. Try to shoot for the late afternoon. Walk the Highline starting at 34th Street and work your way down to 14th Street. Eat nearby at the Chelsea Market. But Make sure to cross to the "Little Island" at the Hudson River Waterfront a couple of blocks away to catch the sunset/twilight/evening at the park. The Little Island is beautiful, especially at night when all the lights are on. They also have the relocated Whitney Museum nearby which closes at 10PM on Fridays
Thanks! That’s a great suggestion. When I walked the Brooklyn Bridge I did the timing so that we could cross over into DUMBO in the afternoon and then walk back to Manhattan in the evening so that we could get daylight, twilight and evening views of Manhattan. That worked out well.

I thought about doing Little Island separately, but did not realize its proximity to the Highline. That’s a great suggestion as well.

Reaction Score
Awww Cute- goin Pavillion to be more like Nova!
Amica Center is simple and rolls Off easier

Reaction Score
Awww Cute- goin Pavillion to be more like Nova!
Amica Center is simple and rolls Off easier
Villanova isn't the first program one thinks about in conjunction with the word Pavillion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom