The Dunk no more | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Dunk no more

Reaction Score
AMP in an acronym for Asian Massage Parlor. Maybe PC is hoping for happy endings.

Reaction Score
Here’s one difference:

Hartford, home to 4 time champ UConn.

Providence, home to Disney on Ice and some of the best professional wrestling events in North America.

Yeah, I can see how you would be offended

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Did y’all miss the part where they listed the highlights of the place as hosting “Providence basketball, Disney on Ice and some of the best professional wrestling events in North America”???

Does that not sum up Providence??? Holy 3rd rate cities……
What you talkin bout Willis?

Disney On Ice and some of the best professional wrestling events in North America at least offer some value to the naming rights.

Two out of three ain’t bad!

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Can’t argue with that.

The best thing Providence basketball has going for it is not related to the basketball team.

Reaction Score
What you talkin bout Willis?

Disney On Ice and some of the best professional wrestling events in North America at least offer some value to the naming rights.

Two out of three ain’t bad!
Well said!

Rasputin

The Mad Monk
Reaction Score
I’m a Mets fan. I was referring to the fact that shortly after Citi paid for the naming rights it received a massive bailout during the financial crisis in which we all theoretically owned it in part.
Which was paid back in full, with an additional $12 billion profit for the government.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
And low-voltage basketball?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
if the athletic department were smart they'd sell naming rights to Gampel.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Which was paid back in full, with an additional $12 billion profit for the government.
That’s true, and it needed to be done.

Doesn’t change the fact that we were forced to play financiers because they couldn’t manage their risk well (citi much worse than most of the banks).

Side note, great handle.

Reaction Score
Do most people actually call these places by their new/newer corporate names?

Don't think I've ever heard anyone call the White Sox stadium Guaranteed Rate, it's always Comiskey or The Cell. Never heard anyone call Sears Tower the Willis Tower.

I guess it depends on the name, Citi Field and The Dunk are both good names. XL is a pretty good name but I still call it the Civic Center.
Having grown up in Branford, I will always refer to New Haven's bridge as "the Q".

Reaction Score
Didn't they already do that with Harry Gampel? I don't know what the deal was with Gampel and if they could sell the naming rights to supersede his name. Considering the athletic department shortfalls I'm sure the naming rights has been explored.

Reaction Score
Didn't they already do that with Harry Gampel? I don't know what the deal was with Gampel and if they could sell the naming rights to supersede his name. Considering the athletic department shortfalls I'm sure the naming rights has been explored.
They can’t nor should they even attempt to change the name.

Reaction Score
Was curious if they could so did some digging around. No can do. I figured they would have explored it if they could. FWIW Gampel's total donation for Gampel Pavilion was only $1 million. The entire project was $21 million. I bet it would cost 10 times that today and a lot more to get naming rights in perpetuity.

The lead private donor for the Sports Center Complex was Harry A. Gampel, a 1943 UConn Business School graduate, whose $1 million gift was the largest private contribution to UConn at that time, and the school gave him naming rights in perpetuity to the basketball arena.

Reaction Score
Was curious if they could so did some digging around. No can do. I figured they would have explored it if they could. FWIW Gampel's total donation for Gampel Pavilion was only $1 million. The entire project was $21 million. I bet it would cost 10 times that today and a lot more to get naming rights in perpetuity.

The lead private donor for the Sports Center Complex was Harry A. Gampel, a 1943 UConn Business School graduate, whose $1 million gift was the largest private contribution to UConn at that time, and the school gave him naming rights in perpetuity to the basketball arena.

in perpetuity

I give you the UConn athletic department

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
FWIW Gampel's total donation for Gampel Pavilion was only $1 million. The entire project was $21 million. I bet it would cost 10 times that today and a lot more to get naming rights in perpetuity.

Conversely, Gampel Pavilion has paid for itself (at least) five times over since it opened. If all of the school's construction projects were this successful we would be in a far better position.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom