The Dunk no more | The Boneyard

The Dunk no more

Reaction Score
The Dunkin' Donuts Center in Providence will have a new name. Will they call it The AMP? Going to be weird saying anything other than The Dunk.

News broke earlier this week that Amica Mutual Insurance is expected to take over the naming rights for the Dunkin’ Donuts Center, the downtown arena that hosts Providence College men’s basketball games, Disney on Ice, and some of the best professional wrestling events in North America.

The terms of the deal haven’t been released, but the most important question on everyone’s mind is: What will we call The Dunk if it’s no longer The Dunk?

The Dunk no more: Amica gets naming rights to downtown Providence venue

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The Dunkin' Donuts Center in Providence will have a new name. Will they call it The AMP? Going to be weird saying anything other than The Dunk.

News broke earlier this week that Amica Mutual Insurance is expected to take over the naming rights for the Dunkin’ Donuts Center, the downtown arena that hosts Providence College men’s basketball games, Disney on Ice, and some of the best professional wrestling events in North America.

The terms of the deal haven’t been released, but the most important question on everyone’s mind is: What will we call The Dunk if it’s no longer The Dunk?

The Dunk no more: Amica gets naming rights to downtown Providence venue

Whatever they call it, it’s going to have Amica in the name. That’s why you pay for the naming rights.

I’m gonna guess Amica Mutual Arena

Reaction Score
Whatever they call it, it’s going to have Amica in the name. That’s why you pay for the naming rights.

You didn’t read the article. Lol

I guess I should have asked the question differently. What will its nickname be? The Dunk wasn’t its official name. Providence people can’t handle more than 1 syllable. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Here are the details:

The arena will be known as “Amica Mutual Pavilion”. Along with the convention center, the complex will be known as “AMP Providence”.

$900k/year for 10 years.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You didn’t read the article. Lol
Nope. You’re probably right then. That’s a stupid name for two reasons imo. First, it’s not a pavilion. Second, the name Amica will be lost.

I would have just gone with Amica Arena. That way everyone has to say the name “Amica” when they say it, like “Citi Field.”

Reaction Score
Here are the details:

The arena will be known as “Amica Mutual Pavilion”. Along with the convention center, the complex will be known as “AMP Providence”.

$900k/year for 10 years.
Curious what the XL Center deal is compared to this.

Reaction Score
Curious what the XL Center deal is compared to this.
Terms of the three XL deals (2007-13, 13-18 and 18-23) were never disclosed, which is surprising because I was always thought the quasi-governmental CDA was involved. Just for context, Webster Bank paid $350k/year for 10 years in Bridgeport. Total Mortgage is definitely paying less there now.

@8893 thanks for the kudos on the Citi Field name.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Terms of the three XL deals (2007-13, 13-18 and 18-23) were never disclosed, which is surprising because I was always thought the quasi-governmental CDA was involved. Just for context, Webster Bank paid $350k/year for 10 years in Bridgeport. Total Mortgage is definitely paying less there now.

I am a lifelong Mets fan and hate the new name. I actually have a shirt that says “I’m calling it Shea”

But it is effective at increasing brand recognition. Do you work at Citibank?

Reaction Score
Nope. You’re probably right then. That’s a stupid name for two reasons imo. First, it’s not a pavilion. Second, the name Amica will be lost.

I would have just gone with Amica Arena. That way everyone has to say the name “Amica” when they say it, like “Citi Field.”
Do most people actually call these places by their new/newer corporate names?

Don't think I've ever heard anyone call the White Sox stadium Guaranteed Rate, it's always Comiskey or The Cell. Never heard anyone call Sears Tower the Willis Tower.

I guess it depends on the name, Citi Field and The Dunk are both good names. XL is a pretty good name but I still call it the Civic Center.

Reaction Score
I am a lifelong Mets fan and hate the new name. I actually have a shirt that says “I’m calling it Shea”

But it is effective at increasing brand recognition. Do you work at Citibank?
I oversaw the Citi Field deal when I was at Citi. Haven’t been there since 2013. Brand awareness/recognition was very low priority among brand and business metrics re rationale for entering into that naming rights deal.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I oversaw the Citi Field deal when I was at Citi. Haven’t been there since 2013. Brand awareness/recognition was very low priority among brand and business metrics re rationale for entering into that naming rights deal.
Interesting. I guess that’s a bonus then, because it’s one of few that is effective for that purpose.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score

I know exactly what Total Mortgage is paying and you are not wrong

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I kinda like "The Mick" as a nickname.

That Amica is doing this is mildly surprising. We get a lot of direct mail from them, but they focus on targeted marketing, not shotgun, thus no real broadcast presence. Guess it's a local pride thing.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

True, but it’s not like the dunk was the official name. It’ll be some variation of Amica mutual.

The Amy?
The Mutt?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Do most people actually call these places by their new/newer corporate names?

Don't think I've ever heard anyone call the White Sox stadium Guaranteed Rate, it's always Comiskey or The Cell. Never heard anyone call Sears Tower the Willis Tower.

I guess it depends on the name, Citi Field and The Dunk are both good names. XL is a pretty good name but I still call it the Civic Center.
It's particularly dumb when the name is so boring, long or stupid nobody will use it.

good: Gillette Stadium
bad: Smoothie King Arena

Keep it short, snappy and easy to remember. Anything else is a waste of marketing money. The Dunk was good because even though the name was the Dunkin Donuts Center, the Dunk captured the brand anyway. That's simply what people call the actual chain for short. Now it will still be the Dunk or go back to the Civic Center.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
*Taxpayer Field

Reaction Score
*Taxpayer Field
I’m a hardcore Yankees fan. Thurman Munson was my hero and I’ve never had as much of an attachment to an athlete since. But you make it sound like “Taxpayer Field” is unique to the Mets. Fact: the Wilpons received $600 million in public money and tax breaks on Citi Field. The Yankees? Try $1.2 billion in public money and tax breaks. You might as well call 90% of stick-and-ball sports venues built in the U.S. in the last 20 years “Taxpayer Field”

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I’m a hardcore Yankees fan. Thurman Munson was my hero and I’ve never had as much of an attachment to an athlete since. But you make it sound like “Taxpayer Field” is unique to the Mets. Fact: the Wilpons received $600 million in public money and tax breaks on Citi Field. The Yankees? Try $1.2 billion in public money and tax breaks. You might as well call 90% of stick-and-ball sports venues built in the U.S. in the last 20 years “Taxpayer Field”
I’m a Mets fan. I was referring to the fact that shortly after Citi paid for the naming rights it received a massive bailout during the financial crisis in which we all theoretically owned it in part.

Reaction Score
The AMP is a great nickname if you say it as an acronym. You go there to get amped. Etc.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The AMP is a great nickname if you say it as an acronym. You go there to get amped. Etc.
Considering what happened in that arena during one of their games last season and what happened in that city today, DAMP may be more appropriate.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Considering what happened in that arena during one of their games last season and what happened in that city today, DAMP may be more appropriate.
The freaking place is still gonna spill water, talk about a dump.

Reaction Score
Did y’all miss the part where they listed the highlights of the place as hosting “Providence basketball, Disney on Ice and some of the best professional wrestling events in North America”???

Does that not sum up Providence??? Holy 3rd rate cities……

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom