The dude response to FSU Mr barron | The Boneyard

The dude response to FSU Mr barron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://dudeofwv.blogspot.com/2012/12/in-response-to-mr-barron.html
Monday, December 3, 2012

In Response to Mr. Barron

Florida State University President Eric Barron has apparently addressed growing rumors of ACC instability by specifically referring to my "nom de plume" (dudeofWV) as an internet rumor-monger spreading "incorrect" information.

I began writing about conference realignment last January when I postulated the growing concern of Florida State and Clemson over the revenue gap between the ACC and the SEC would lead them to explore options with other conferences.

It was shortly after WVU and Clemson played in the Orange Bowl that I learned substantial discussions were ongoing between the Big 12 and FSU and Clemson.

I am guilty of many things as I have tried to cover expansion. I have sometimes jumped to conclusions and let my enthusiasm get the better of me. However I have always been careful to only write what I was certain was true and I learned the hard way to double-check my facts.

I began posting a blog about WVU and WVU's chances at being invited to the SEC to defend WVU against those who had incorrect assumptions about WVU and West Virginia. My experiences writing about the SEC taught me a valuable lesson – double and triple check facts.

Contacts within a major university like WVU know the power of social media. They know they can release information via social media that a traditional news outlet, like the Charleston Gazette, could never print. Traditional journalism is about what "has happened" not what "could happen" and social media nicely fills that gap.

A conference like the Big 12 or a university like FSU could use social media to plant a rumor to gauge fan support for a conference switch or coaching change – the opportunity to shape opinion is there and universities are becoming more adept at using it.

The danger to bloggers is that information is shared for a reason and that reason always serves the best interest of the university and may or may not be true. I learned that when I was told WVU had submitted paperwork for the SEC. My contact at WVU did not tell me that WVU had only submitted financial information and lead me to believe that WVU had submitted an application for membership.

I learned my lesson well and when I began writing about FSU and Clemson I was very careful about what I did (and did not) write. I took great pains to verify information and reached out to several media members who confirmed the majority of what I had learned. These helpful individuals had no connection to WV or WVU.

At every step in the process I freely shared whatever information I had and I was fortunate enough to have others share their information with me. Every piece of the puzzle was verified and although some details remain murky, like the specifics of the ACC contract, I was able to independently verify each and every one of the items I've written about.

I stand by my assertion that both FSU and Clemson had significant talks with the Big 12 and that both were willing to leave the ACC based on facts collaborated by my media contacts, independent of WVU, who covered FSU, Clemson and the SEC.

Eric Barron can deflect all he wants and try to reassure his boosters but the fact remains the ACC has problems that that threaten their stability.

Eric Barron can't change the fact that the ACC is the lowest paid of the major football conferences. He can't change the fact the ACC's reputation harms Florida State chances of reaching the playoffs in 2014. Barron can't change the fact that the Big 10, SEC and Big 12 covet ACC members and even the $50 million exit fee isn't enough to keep the conference whole.

More importantly Eric Barron can't change the fact that the new BCS playoff system begins in 2013 and the Big 4 are determined that the ACC isn't around to receive their share.

As for Eric Barron calling me out by name I have a few simple questions for him:
  1. Have you or anyone acting on FSU's behalf spoken to the Big 10, Big 12 or SEC about conference membership?
  2. Have you or any agent of FSU retained outside representation to review or prepare financial documents related to Big 10, Big 12 or SEC membership?
  3. Have you or anyone representing FSU spoken to the Big 12 conference in the past 14 days.
  4. Have you spoken with senior leadership at Boston College, Clemson, UVA, Virginia Tech Georgia Tech about their plans in regards to ACC membership.
Barron admitted he has been talking to other university presidents and you can bet those presidents are in the Big 10, SEC and Big 12. So until the ACC either releases details of its TV contract or signs a grant-of-rights it would be foolish not to think Eric Barron isn't fulfilling his fiduciary responsibility to explore FSU's options as the Big 10 plans its next move.

As for the criticism… I have done all I can do. I have shared what I know, given up my non de plume and used my real name. I don't own a website, I don't charge for information, I don't benefit from anyway from hits to any website. I'm on record with my opinion that greed is ruining college football and that conference realignment is bad for the game we all love.

And I was warned many, many times not to write about expansion.

Reaction Score
He better not accept an invitation from Barron to go fishing to work things out...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I hope you mean wow I can't believe anyone listens to these idiots.

just for kicks, what would your reaction be if susan had to talk and say to uconn fans that HFD is blah blah spreading stuff......

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
just for kicks, what would your reaction be if susan had to talk and say to uconn fans that HFD is blah blah spreading stuff......

My reaction to what you write is that had you never posted a thing as HFD and approached the athletic department in a professional manner you have enough energy and good ideas that you could have been an asset.

The way that you've slaughtered the people involved has ensured they will never listen to a word you say.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
My reaction to what you write is that had you never posted a thing as HFD and approached the athletic department in a professional manner you have enough energy and good ideas that you could have been an asset.

The way that you've slaughtered the people involved has ensured they will never listen to a word you say.

thats your reaction to me. thats fine. i'm talking about your reaction to the pres of uconn if she mentioned me in any way pos or neg. the fsu pres mentioned a hillbilly moonshiner in the woods of west va. thats a serious reach.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
thats your reaction to me. thats fine. i'm talking about your reaction to the pres of uconn if she mentioned me in any way pos or neg. the fsu pres mentioned a hillbilly moonshiner in the woods of west va. thats a serious reach.

My reaction would be that she's not fit to be the President of a major university.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Does anyone have the context of how the FSU President talked about the DudeofWV?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
wow fsu is ****ed then hugh?!?!?!

You are a bit different than him. What the FSU President said is correct so I'm curious what the context was.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Does anyone have the context of how the FSU President talked about the DudeofWV?

Posted: Today 2:45 PM

An FSU Booster's Report on President Barron's Talk

Breakfast talk before boosters....while I was not there, an attendee did post his thoughts on an FSU board...

Talking about Barron's speech:

"He was very impressive and clearly focused on our academics. He did a great job. He did get one question on the ACC. He made it clear that there is a lot of nonsense on the boards and he called out the dude from WVU as being someone who is throwing out stories for his blog.

On the other hand, he made it clear that he studies all of this, he is in constant contact with "various presidents", and make no mistake - he is watching out for FSU and only FSU. To be blunt, he is all over this. Then he says cryptically that he thinks there will be changes. But he would say no more."

Well...we all think that there will be some changes...I wished that he was being more informative but I guess I can understand why he can not be.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Maybe it's time for the Dude of Connecticut to cozy up with Barron. He's short a Dude.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If he wasn't asked a direct question about the DudeofWV, I'd say that it's armature hour.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Posted: Today 2:45 PM

An FSU Booster's Report on President Barron's Talk

Breakfast talk before boosters....while I was not there, an attendee did post his thoughts on an FSU board...

Talking about Barron's speech:

"He was very impressive and clearly focused on our academics. He did a great job. He did get one question on the ACC. He made it clear that there is a lot of nonsense on the boards and he called out the dude from WVU as being someone who is throwing out stories for his blog.

On the other hand, he made it clear that he studies all of this, he is in constant contact with "various presidents", and make no mistake - he is watching out for FSU and only FSU. To be blunt, he is all over this. Then he says cryptically that he thinks there will be changes. But he would say no more."

Well...we all think that there will be some changes...I wished that he was being more informative but I guess I can understand why he can not be.

What I wouldn't do to hear our administration once and directly state that they are in "constant contact" with other presidents and will do whatever it takes to protect UConn. Just once, just for kicks.

Reaction Score
The fact FSU president even acknowledged the Dude tells us the Dude got some good info. I have little or no doubt FSU is "looking out for itself" and could careless about ACC's future. They are definitely not a "committed" member of the ACC lol.

Reaction Score
w
o
w
Gotta agree with Dan here. The fact that Barron is even bringing up the dude means that the dude nailed something on the head. Could be the big picture could be something small. If he's just an annoying blogger throwing theories around why even mention him. Unless someone asked him directly about him, but given the context of the response it doesn't seem that way.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The fact FSU president even acknowledged the Dude tells us the Dude got some good info. I have little or no doubt FSU is "looking out for itself" and could careless about ACC's future. They are definitely not a "committed" member of the ACC lol.

There has to be some truth to your statement; that the president clearly feels that something "The Dude" said was actually accurate, whether it was by accident or inside information. University presidents, based on my small amount of knowledge on them, don't typically address bloggers and such specifically in conversations, no matter how casual. Like Whaler said, it sounds like "amateur hour" with this guy...

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Gotta agree with Dan here. The fact that Barron is even bringing up the dude means that the dude nailed something on the head. Could be the big picture could be something small. If he's just an annoying blogger throwing theories around why even mention him. Unless someone asked him directly about him, but given the context of the response it doesn't seem that way.
It's the way I took it.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Husky210 said what I was trying to say, but better and with less words...

Reaction Score
AH.jpg
Let's make it official "Dude of West Virginia" takes over for "MHver3" as the blogger we follow for all realignment updates.

Who's with me!!!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm interested in his last statement. What does he mean he has been warned many, many times to not write about expansion? Who warned him and in what manner?

Reaction Score

Yah cuz Universities are always welcoming people off the street and letting them advise them on policy. And Tom Hanks got the job in Big cuz he could play really well with toys. That happens.:)

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Let's make it official "Dude of West Virginia" takes over for "MHver3" as the blogger we follow for all realignment updates.

last year i claimed this and i still think it may be true. i think they are the same person. the guy uses one as bull and the other as his stuff so hes not the only guy and he in the end looks better. its the perfect way to create the market of followers and be the top dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom